Simi
Rachel33
Steve
-Ian-
JStaff
SeanDevon
11 posters

Go down

10 week old pup, desperate for help! Empty 10 week old pup, desperate for help!

Post by SeanDevon Thu Jun 26 2014, 21:56

Hello everyone, we picked up our Staffy cross Lab/jack about 2 weeks ago and she has made steady progress in all areas. The past few days however she has refused to use any of her puppy training pads and likes to poo and wee anywhere. She has also become extremely aggressive to both me and my partner.
First thing in the morning she's fine and cuddly and likes to jump about as any other pup but as the day goes she just flips and starts biting toes etc to the point where shouting at her doesn't work and we have to physically push her off, to which she growls aggressively and attempts to bite again. These episodes truly make me believe she is going to cause some major damage to someone and I won't let her go near anyone else.
When we can in these situations we put her in her cage to which she whines to the point where it gets uncomfortable to hear. She's just had her second injection and starts puppy training next Wednesday, but we can not cope with her and has drove my partner to actively sell her, which is not what we want to do but cannot seem to control her aggression. Any help would be appreciated, Sean.

SeanDevon
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

10 week old pup, desperate for help! Empty Re: 10 week old pup, desperate for help!

Post by JStaff Thu Jun 26 2014, 22:01

Hi and welcome from us and Suki. I think we have all been through this phase and here is a link that will help with the biting. Just be consistant and patient and things will work out

http://staffy-bull-terrier.com/stop_your_staffy_puppy_biting
JStaff
JStaff
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Suki
Dog(s) Ages : 5
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 859

Back to top Go down

10 week old pup, desperate for help! Empty Re: 10 week old pup, desperate for help!

Post by -Ian- Thu Jun 26 2014, 22:06

Hi Sean & welcome to the forum.

She isn't being aggressive, she's way too young to be aggressive. She is finding her way into life and with all dogs, she needs to be trained.

Are you able to use a garden for toilet training ? What are you using to clean up after her ? With the biting, replace whatever part of you she has taken a liking to with a toy. She is being boisterous, thats what they are like until you can get them out after the jabs and start walking to burn off energy, but even then you should only walk for 5 mins per month of life so lots of play will be needed in the meantime. There are loads of hints and tips on here to help you.

We're here to offer support and advice so just ask. When you get a min, pop along to this link and say hi :-
https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/f7-new-member-introductions

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

10 week old pup, desperate for help! B110
-Ian-
-Ian-
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down

Post by SeanDevon Thu Jun 26 2014, 22:23

Thanks Jstaff and Ian. I personally believe it's something to do with her teething but it's just the way she flips which is shocking.

SeanDevon

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by -Ian- Thu Jun 26 2014, 22:28

It could well be teething... A frozen tea towel can help there.

If you look at the top of the forum main page, there is a section full of advice for new owners. Certainly worth a look  Big Grin 

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

10 week old pup, desperate for help! B110
-Ian-
-Ian-

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down

Post by SeanDevon Thu Jun 26 2014, 22:31

Thanks Ian will try the towel! Much appreciate your help!

SeanDevon

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Thu Jun 26 2014, 22:38

a bit young ot be teething at 10 week all pup at these age test us my sam used to bite my nose when we lay down

Steve

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Thu Jun 26 2014, 22:42

Sounds like play! She's probably testing the boundaries a little too. Sure things will settle down with consistency and walks will help when her injections are complete Smile

Have you had puppies before?
Rachel33
Rachel33

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bug (Biscuit)
Dog(s) Ages : 7 ish
Support total : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post by SeanDevon Thu Jun 26 2014, 23:19

She's constantly finding something to chew (I know all puppies do) but she seems to want to relieve stress this way. No this is first time I've had a puppy, this is my partners 2nd staff puppy and she finds our pup's behaviour weird for her age, I guess we'll have to be patient with her last jab etc. thanks for the help guys!

SeanDevon

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Simi Thu Jun 26 2014, 23:20

Its just play they are really mouthy at that age. we used puppy pads and seem to get nowhere till we stop using them. It maybe best to let her go outside instead
Simi
Simi

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Tallulah
Dog(s) Ages : 21/11/13
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 47

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 27 2014, 06:04

I can't really add to the great advice above but do be patient and consistent. What are you doing to let her burn off energy at the moment? Plenty of play time and mental stimulation will help. Frozen kongs, frozen veg and as said frozen tea towel all help to deflect the chewing, as do plenty of chew toys, like a stag bar.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Fri Jun 27 2014, 13:10

Completely normal puppy behavior! The link of biting should help, be consistent and patient. I wouldnt put her in her crate as punishment, its supposed to be her safe place   Smile
Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by mreed7773 Fri Jun 27 2014, 16:07

I thought the same of mine then ..its just play ..we dealt and still deal with it when it happens we stand up and turn our backs to her for a minute , shouting wont work just be firm and consistent maybe get her playing with something else when she does do it and also praise her for every little thing she does right , he has to learn your not a puppy to play with as she would him siblings maybe get her around other dogs to play it helped my Tia. I have found out not to be to tell her off esp when she had an accident indoors as it made it worse just take him in the garden a lot saying the toilet word you have chosen and he will get it , with Tia everything takes about a week and she gets it and now is the most enjoyable placid thing ive ever met..
mreed7773
mreed7773
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Tia
Dog(s) Ages : 22nd feb 2014 .... 2 years 4 months
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 12

Back to top Go down

Post by freyj4z Fri Jun 27 2014, 19:27

Welcome to puppyhood, loki was exactly the same at that age!! He used to jump at me and snap and try to bite me, he's now 17-18 weeks old and he doesn't do any of that, sounds like she's just trying to see how far she can push it with you, keeping her away might make her worse, we only shut loki away when he was being really over the top, he only snaps occasionally. It does get better I promise!! There will be the days where u think lord have mercy what have I done!!! But this forum will be your comfort and your best friend I've had lot if support from everyone here and it's made me so confident with training!!
freyj4z
freyj4z

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Loki
Dog(s) Ages : 5 months
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 49

Back to top Go down

Post by SeanDevon Fri Jun 27 2014, 20:02

Thanks for all the advice everyone, starting to build up a picture of where we are going wrong. She started off really well with her puppy pads but recently has gone back a step and just randomly squats anywhere! We don't have a garden at the moment but will when we move in 3 weeks so just going to have to make do with the pads for now.

SeanDevon

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Fri Jun 27 2014, 20:05

It's a huge learning curve but you will get there x
Sazzle
Sazzle

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by MoreGun89 Sat Jun 28 2014, 00:09

The first week we had Karma, there wasn't a day I went to bed without feeling like I lost a fight. A month now, she has good days and bad days, but mostly good! My battle scars are healing Big Grin
MoreGun89
MoreGun89
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Karma
Dog(s) Ages : 13 weeks

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathan Sat Jun 28 2014, 12:10

shouting will just make things worse and add to the excitment. a low "no" with eye contact will be far more helpfull as will ignoring her and walking away when possible.  loud noises and fast movement will only add to the game and up the excitment meaning she is less likely to pick up on a stop or no command.
Although it doesnt seem like it they are fast learners at that age so just be consistant and it will all start to fall into place.
Nathan
Nathan

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Marley and Laska
Dog(s) Ages : 30/08/2011 Marley 03/05/12 Laska
Dog Gender(s) : Male Marley Female Laska
Support total : 626

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down