Poo Eater

4 posters

Go down

Poo Eater Empty Poo Eater

Post by sarahnoakes Sat Jun 07 2014, 04:56

Hi My beautiful staffy has eaten her mates poo since she was a puppy. He has now passed and she has started to eat her own. I try and pick it up up as soon as I've seen it but she pretty much poops and eats it straight away. I've had her at the vet and she is in perfect condition and isn't lacking anything obvious to the vets. I've heard adding pineapple to her food is suppose to make the poo taste bad but it didn't work. Anyone else out there experienced this?

Last edited by Kathy on Sat Jun 07 2014, 08:36; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Moved post to Staffy Health Issues)

sarahnoakes
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Poo Eater Empty Re: Poo Eater

Post by Kathy Sat Jun 07 2014, 08:41

Hi Sarah, I have moved this to Staffy Health Issues so you may get some help here. Yes some pineapple in her food may help with this issue.

Please come and say Hi when you get a moment we would love to know more about you:

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/f7-new-member-introductions
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by lumpydog Sat Jun 07 2014, 09:31

Hi, I found the following information for you, I hope this helps

There isn’t any one particular reason for a dog to eat the poo of other animals (coprophagia), however, it is important to remember that it is fairly common and isn’t an abnormal behaviour – many predatory species will do this basically because poo is an easily digestible source of protein or vegetation, depending on who or what has done it of course! Understandably, we humans find it very unpleasant and unfortunately it can be difficult to cure.

If an adult dog is eating his own poo however, this is not normal behaviour. However, puppies may go through a short phase of eating poo and mother dogs will consume the poo of their puppies.

Could any of these be the reason for your dog’s habit?

Curiosity – he may find it interesting and just want to see what it tastes like.
Not enough variety in the diet – is your dog’s food boring (perhaps it is just a complete dry diet)? If so, you could gradually change it to something more interesting (not too quickly as he may get an upset stomach), or add other things for variety. Give him plenty of items to chew as well.
Is your dog hungry? Increase the number of his feeds and try feeding him 45 minutes before walks.
Does your dog have enough exercise and mental stimulation? (Download our Beating Boredom factsheet).
Sometimes it can be due to a vitamin B or K deficiency or it could be a sign of a more serious problem – speak with your vet for more information.
Does he like the taste? Try booby-trapping the poo with ‘bitter apple’ spray, or some other unpleasant tasting substance. Your vet can guide you as to what to use. You would need to put this on all poo he has access to otherwise he may just work out which poo tastes ok!
It could also be because the first time he tried eating poo, someone made such a big deal out of it that he now thinks it must be a really important and valuable resource and so always tries to get it before you can clean it up. Any further punishment given or attempts to make him give it up after this is likely to continue to make the problem worse.
If you have told your dog off before for pooing in the wrong place, he may have learnt that being around poo means that a telling off will happen, so he may try to eat the poo (his own and that of other animals) in an attempt to ‘hide’ it from you to avoid the punishments.
Sometimes breeders will house puppies in fairly barren environments and if a pup is kennelled without his mother or siblings, his poo may be the most interesting thing to play with and eat. This can continue into later life.
Some puppies may copy the natural cleaning behaviour of the mother.
Some bitches may get over-enthusiastic about cleaning and continue this in her environment even after her pups have gone.

Try the following to train him to leave the poo alone:

First of all you’ll need to do some really good recall training with him in an area with few distractions (i.e. no poo). You will need to use really high value treats – something that he likes more than the poo! Choose a new word for the command, something like ‘treat’; don’t just use his name.
Once you have cracked the recall, try to follow him around on the walk and look out for him finding any poo.
As he goes to get it, immediately use the command to get his attention and give him a really delicious treat. Be very positive, using a happy voice with him to entice him from the poo and do not use negative words or verbal punishment to force him away. If necessary leave a long line attached to him, to stop him reaching the poo, until he gets the idea that coming to you for a treat is the best thing to do.
You’ll need to continue to distract him as you get past the poo, so that he’ll hopefully forget it was there.
Hopefully in time, he’ll learn that the best treats come from you and poo should become a lot less important.
If your dog is eating your cat's litter indoors then put something in the way which your dog can not get through or jump over but that your cat can still go through to reach its litter tray.
Unfortunately for some dogs, eating poo is so rewarding that you may not be able to make any difference to their habit and they may always take the opportunity to eat it if they can (if you are not there or too far away to interrupt them). Eating it won’t hurt them, but it is best to ensure that their worming regime is up to date and that licking human faces is kept to a minimum!
lumpydog
lumpydog

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Meg
Dog(s) Ages : Sept 20th 2011
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 79

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Sat Jun 07 2014, 15:04

What do you feed her?
Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by sarahnoakes Mon Jun 09 2014, 23:23

Thanks for the info. Some of the things we have tried but I will try some new tactics. She gets fed dry food in the morning and a home cooked meal in the evenings.

sarahnoakes

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down