Picky Eater??

3 posters

Go down

Picky Eater?? Empty Picky Eater??

Post by Ayden-J Thu Jun 07 2012, 08:46

Jett was fed wainwrights dry dog food as a puppy,I later switched to JWB when he was about 5 months old.
As of a month ago I changed him from JWB Junior to JWB adult as it suggested on the packet.He started off well but the past week and a bit,he started leaving bits in the bottom of his bowl.This morning he saw me put his bowl down (Like usual) but hasn't touched it or even bothered walking over to it.
Could He just be fed up of the flavours?

BTW.I did take him to the vets Yesterday and nothing was wrong with him,he was perfectly fine.
Ayden-J
Ayden-J
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Picky Eater?? Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Jett
Dog(s) Ages : 1 (and a bit)
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 6

https://www.facebook.com/killah.koby

Back to top Go down

Picky Eater?? Empty Re: Picky Eater??

Post by Guest Thu Jun 07 2012, 09:39

Do you put his bowl down and leave it down , or do you take it up after 15 mins. I have to admit we are naughty and put extra stuff in there to spice it up a bit , but if you talk to other people it is a complete no no and it is recommended just to stick it out. Put the bowl down for 15 mins at morning , then again at dinnertime and then again at night , he will break before you do. A dog will not starve himself unless there is something wrong, and you say your vet has checked him as ok

Back to top Go down

Post by Ayden-J Thu Jun 07 2012, 09:50

I put the bowl down and did leave it there for only 15 minutes.
The vet did check him and said he was totally fine but he's sat on the sofa next to me looking a bit sorry for himself.
Ayden-J
Ayden-J
Picky Eater?? Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 07 2012, 09:57

Ayden-J wrote:I put the bowl down and did leave it there for only 15 minutes.
The vet did check him and said he was totally fine but he's sat on the sofa next to me looking a bit sorry for himself.

Do you feed him lots of little xtras ??

Back to top Go down

Post by Ayden-J Thu Jun 07 2012, 10:02

No he only gets 4-6 of those little gravy bones a day or a bit of carrot
Ayden-J
Ayden-J
Picky Eater?? Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Thu Jun 07 2012, 10:05

Moo got bored of JWB and wouldn't touch it, I left it about a month and then swapped over to Fish4Dogs, now 9/10 she will finish. When she was on JWB I did used add some weak gravy to it to get her to eat which worked I do think they get bored of eating the same thing day in day out Smile
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 07 2012, 10:07

Ayden-J wrote:No he only gets 4-6 of those little gravy bones a day or a bit of carrot

Maybe you just persevere for a couple of days and see if he will give in , if not then try another food mixed in (just a little) and see how he reacts

Back to top Go down

Post by Ayden-J Thu Jun 07 2012, 10:10

janey wrote:

Moo got bored of JWB and wouldn't touch it, I left it about a month and then swapped over to Fish4Dogs, now 9/10 she will finish. When she was on JWB I did used add some weak gravy to it to get her to eat which worked I do think they get bored of eating the same thing day in day out Smile

He started acting a bit like he is now when he was on wainwrights,which is why i swapped to JWB.
I'm not sure if he's tired of it or if he's just doing it to be awkward (Like a spoilt child)
Ayden-J
Ayden-J
Picky Eater?? Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 07 2012, 10:14

I had the same problem with Blue. Friends also told me to do the same and leave the bowl for 10 mins then take it up, he still never ate anything and ok he probably would of started to but I didn't want my dog just eating cos he had to in order to live I did want him to enjoy it a little also.
I tried all sorts of brands, I tried feeding raw and he eats it 99% of the time

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 07 2012, 10:59

I would advise the leave it for 10-15 minutes and remove it but I have never had a picky eater so don't know if I could do it. Mine are always the opposite and will eat anything

Back to top Go down

Post by goldie87 Thu Jun 07 2012, 11:50

Zeus was like that when he was on Royal Canin, he'd look at it.. smell it and walk away. I did the whole leaving his bowl thing, and still, he ate little bits of it and left the rest.

I then moved him onto Wainwrights dry food which hes on at the moment and i top it up with a little wainwrights wet food and he eats his food in 30 seconds flat! Licks the bowl and everything. The only problem with Wainwrights is that he has been itching/scratching alot since hes been on it and he has really loose stools, so I'm in the process of changing to Applaws Dry Food (75% meat content, compared to 24% on Wainwrights).
goldie87
goldie87

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Zeus
Dog(s) Ages : 9
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 164

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 07 2012, 16:01

I'm afraid i'd be doing tough love, choose the food you want to feed, put the bowl down for 15 mins, take it up and offer nothing until the next meal. A healthy dog wont starve themselves.

Back to top Go down

Post by goldie87 Thu Jun 07 2012, 20:47

ella wrote:I'm afraid i'd be doing tough love, choose the food you want to feed, put the bowl down for 15 mins, take it up and offer nothing until the next meal. A healthy dog wont starve themselves.

totally agree with you. i think i gave in too easy because he looked so cute when i got him at 8 weeks old.. just look at my display picture --> Love Struck
goldie87
goldie87

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Zeus
Dog(s) Ages : 9
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 164

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 07 2012, 22:01

goldie87 wrote:
ella wrote:I'm afraid i'd be doing tough love, choose the food you want to feed, put the bowl down for 15 mins, take it up and offer nothing until the next meal. A healthy dog wont starve themselves.

totally agree with you. i think i gave in too easy because he looked so cute when i got him at 8 weeks old.. just look at my display picture --> Love Struck

Haha he is rather gorgeous Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down