Nathan
Sazzle
tracy boo
janey
Steve
kye
12 posters

Go down

should we have traffic light colours on dogs to identify the dogs temprament Empty should we have traffic light colours on dogs to identify the dogs temprament

Post by kye Thu May 01 2014, 18:18

HI ,
i first heard about the traffic light colours on dogs collars in the usa , they use it to identify a dogs temperament from a distance so we don't have to approach a dog to find out if its a biter or a kisser lol,
i think i would be a good way for everyone to stay safe and keep the dogs safe at the same time,
it works like =
= RED on a dogs collar means its dog and or people aggressive ,
= orange means it can be aggressive or defensive towards some animals or people so be careful around this dog .
= yellow means the dog is not aggressive but not trained or is just kinda crazy . or something like that.?
= green means the dogs fully trained and none aggressive towards animals or people ,its the safest a dog can be.

i realize my explanations or the colours and the meaning are not realy what they should be but you get the idea of what the colours should stand for ,
i think it would be allot easier for dog owners and people near dog owners out in public to see from a distance what type of temperament a dog has without having to go near the dog to find out , its safer for people and safer for the dogs as less dogs would get put down for biting because if people knew b4 hand the dog is known to be aggressive towards strange things or people they wouldn't approach it in the first place and most people wouldn't just let there dog run up to the dog they would ask first and then test the dogs out near each other due to the coloured collars.
there will always be people that ignore whatever rules we have and normal common sense when having animals but it could only be a good thing if we adopted this traffic light system for dogs ,

SO GUYS LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK OF IT AND EMPLANE WHY YOUR AGENT IT OR FOR IT ,,
THANK YOU IN ADVANCE PEOPLE,
FROM RYAN AND WEE KYE.

kye
kye
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : kye
Dog(s) Ages : 2.5 years
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 3

http://mansonryan@hotmail.co.uk

Back to top Go down

should we have traffic light colours on dogs to identify the dogs temprament Empty Re: should we have traffic light colours on dogs to identify the dogs temprament

Post by Steve Thu May 01 2014, 18:23

i think they good idea but i wouldn't have one, i keep away from dogs and my sam is always on the lead

Steve
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

should we have traffic light colours on dogs to identify the dogs temprament Empty Re: should we have traffic light colours on dogs to identify the dogs temprament

Post by janey Thu May 01 2014, 18:31

Moo is always off lead when we walk, if I see a dog on lead her recall is perfect so not something we would use but I can see benefits.
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by tracy boo Thu May 01 2014, 18:38

Think it's a great idea  Smile We still have Gordon on his long lead about 70% of the time because if he sees a dog he will shoot off to play with them and recall is not so good, but the amount of people who let their dogs come over when he is on the lead without first asking if he's ok with people/dogs is unbelievable  whew!, so for that reason alone I think its a good idea .

tracy boo
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
should we have traffic light colours on dogs to identify the dogs temprament Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Gordon
Dog(s) Ages : 1 year
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 71

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Thu May 01 2014, 19:34

It's a great idea  Big Grin 
Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathan Thu May 01 2014, 22:26

Been around for a bit and needs everyone to understand it for it to be a success. a big campaign would be needed yet who is willing to pay for that.
People also have a preferance for colours, including me. i like red and black so marley has a black collar while laska has a red one... there is your problem, people will always have a preferance so unless you force people by law to colour code there dogs it will never work 100% even then you will get people coding there dogs down to avoid stigma. great in principle but unfortunatly unworkable
Nathan
Nathan

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Marley and Laska
Dog(s) Ages : 30/08/2011 Marley 03/05/12 Laska
Dog Gender(s) : Male Marley Female Laska
Support total : 626

Back to top Go down

Post by marlesghille Fri May 02 2014, 09:02

You mean like this? We got this harness (and matching lead, not shown here) for Skye and it's been great when we take her into Glasgow city centre for shopping - lots of people stopping us to ask about the dog, and to give her a pat (and get kisses in return). Really great for dispelling myths about SBTs... There are other colour-coded harnesses ("No Dogs", "Nervous", "In Training" etc) - can be ordered on Amazon

should we have traffic light colours on dogs to identify the dogs temprament Friendlyskye_zps4ad000d3
marlesghille
marlesghille
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Skye
Dog(s) Ages : 2 years
Support total : 52

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 02 2014, 09:04

It's a great idea if more people recognised it xx

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Fri May 02 2014, 09:08

We were planning to bring these into effect for our kennel dogs but it turned out to be too pricey. I use the yellow dog UK project merchandise (my dog needs space etc) for Biscuit, waiting to get the coat as not many people can see the ribbon, let alone understand what it means.
Rachel33
Rachel33
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bug (Biscuit)
Dog(s) Ages : 7 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post by yeahbut Fri May 02 2014, 10:44

Firstly, there would need to be a a huge amount of publicity to get the general public - even dog owners - to know the system. The yellow dog campaign (www.yellowdoguk.co.uk/) has been around for a while, but I dont think that many know about it, even here.

Secondly, there can hardly be a dog alive that merits the green ribbon. Even the most saintly dog might snap if poked in the eye by an un-monitored child. I dont know what insurance/liability implications there may be if you put a green label on your dog which basically proclaims that it's non-aggressive (which may encourage someone to approach) and then it snaps. A green ribbon may be too weighty a responsibility for a dog to have to bear.

Thirdly, dogs can react differently according to the different circumstances they find themselves in and these ways can be predicted to some extent. Being on-lead/off-lead is the obvious example. Many dogs might be red on lead (esp if approached by a free dog), but orange or even green off-lead. So it wouldnt really work to have a wardrobe of ribbons, to be changed as the dog's situation and environment changes.

Fourthly, while it's nice to have considerate behaviour from other dog owners, I dont think it's safe to rely on the intelligence of others when it comes to reacting with my dog. For his own protection, it's my responsibility to ensure he stays out of trouble. So there's already a traffic light system that I employ - but it's in my head, not on the dog's collar and that is the most reliable place for it to be.

yeahbut
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
should we have traffic light colours on dogs to identify the dogs temprament Top_ra10

Status Status :

Support total : 125

Back to top Go down

Post by -Ian- Fri May 02 2014, 12:43

I think that it could be of some use if the dog is DA or HA for example. I also think it would be hard to get this into the public mindset especially as the Yellow ribbon scheme isn't yet widely known.

In personal experience I have found that the Hi Vis Jacket works well. Flo's simply says deaf but it goes some way to explaining to people why she doesn't respond, on occasion, to the first recall shout and not that she is being disobedient.

The difference in attitude that we receive between when she has the Jacket on and not, is huge !

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

should we have traffic light colours on dogs to identify the dogs temprament B110
-Ian-
-Ian-

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Fri May 02 2014, 13:50

I think there are a great idea, so long as all other dog walkers know about them. Maybe a little more awareness about is needed. I love the idea of the tabard for dog owners too like this one:

should we have traffic light colours on dogs to identify the dogs temprament 214286106
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Simi Fri May 02 2014, 18:50

I think if more of us used them it would become more well known. I`d most likely pick the yellow one as Lula is friendly but some dogs make her a little nervous
Simi
Simi

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Tallulah
Dog(s) Ages : 21/11/13
Support total : 47

Back to top Go down

Post by kye Fri May 02 2014, 20:50

marlesghille thats the first time ive seen a harness with that kinda writing on it and i like it i think ill get one for my staffie , thanks for replying people, some good points and answers so far , thanks .
kye
kye

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by kye Fri May 02 2014, 21:06

to, yeahbut .
you got allot of good points.
and this is the first time ive heard of the (www.yellowdoguk.co.uk/) so ill have a look at it thanks for the link .

most owners know how there dogs normals reactions to other strange dogs and strange people approaching it are going to be, so that would be the primary thing i can see it being used for,
i don't like having to get close to another dog and owner to find out what kinda temperament the owner and dog has lol,
so some kinda knowledge about the animal visually instead of people making there mind up if its more likely to be aggressive based on breed they would have another tool in place of what they read in the papers ect .
and your 100% right of coarse about common sense being the best traffic light system to use b4 anything else .

i am really liking the comments guys .
kye
kye

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down