Seizures - not a great couple of days for Marquez :( UPDATED WITH POSSIBLE CAUSES & TREATMENT

+10
janey
djstratton
flowerbud
-Ian-
Bane
Sara n Ozzy
Steve
Sazzle
Kathy
AussieStaff
14 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Seizures - not a great couple of days for Marquez  :(  UPDATED WITH POSSIBLE CAUSES & TREATMENT Empty Seizures - not a great couple of days for Marquez :( UPDATED WITH POSSIBLE CAUSES & TREATMENT

Post by djstratton Thu Mar 27 2014, 01:11

So starting Tuesday evening until about 45 minutes ago, Marquez has had 7 seizures that I've witnessed throughout the day, possibly one during the night of Tuesday/Wednesday and possibly 2 last night from between 9.30pm when we went to bed until 5.30am when we wake.  The ones during the night last night must have been bad as he had peed his bed which he hasn't done before.  Yesterday we went to the vet and she gave my valium to put up his rectum during a seizure which I had to do on the way home at 11am when he had another.  The valium has worked very well in lessening the severity and length of the seizures and making his recovery faster but we still can't understand the sudden cause of them after his first 3 almost a month ago.

His checkup at the vet yesterday didn't come up with anything and he seemed fine but clearly something isn't.  What triggered this last bout?  The vets seem to think that my husband going away for a couple of days then coming home triggered them this time, just like it happened that first time when they started after we both came back from business overseas. We personally believe that the vaccine he had to get in the boarding kennel a few days before may have been a contributing factor as well.   My daughter and I are heading off to australia on sunday for 5 days so if he does get over the seizures today or tomorrow, there is a strong chance that they may start up again next friday when we get back.

So we've been trying to wrack our brains and trying to come up with other likely possible causes and the only other one we can think of is low blood sugar.  He's been eating raw for about 6 weeks.  He's not been getting any carbohydrates with his meat whereas before with his grain free kibble, he was getting sweet potato and chickpeas which was in there.  During this last seizure, I gave him some honey in the side of his mouth (along with the valium) and his recovery period was even quicker than the valium alone.

Other than getting further tests to check thyroid as well as liver & kidney function, we're at a loss at what to do in trying to find out the causes.  Just hope our boy recovers soon and that we find a cause.

Last edited by djstratton on Fri Jun 20 2014, 03:18; edited 1 time in total
djstratton
djstratton
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Marquez
Dog(s) Ages : 18 months
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 119

Back to top Go down

Seizures - not a great couple of days for Marquez  :(  UPDATED WITH POSSIBLE CAUSES & TREATMENT Empty Re: Seizures - not a great couple of days for Marquez :( UPDATED WITH POSSIBLE CAUSES & TREATMENT

Post by Guest Thu Mar 27 2014, 04:57

Oh no Diane, so sorry to hear this. I hope you find the cause and solution.

Back to top Go down

Seizures - not a great couple of days for Marquez  :(  UPDATED WITH POSSIBLE CAUSES & TREATMENT Empty Re: Seizures - not a great couple of days for Marquez :( UPDATED WITH POSSIBLE CAUSES & TREATMENT

Post by djstratton Thu Mar 27 2014, 05:11

Well after talking to my friend in Aus as well as his vet here about the possible low blood glucose cause we've decided to add carbs back to his meals. The recovery from his last seizure was much faster with the honey and he just wolfed down half his meat allowance with 100g sweet potato so hopefully this will make a difference. It's been 5 hours since his last seizure which makes it the longest period between seizures. Hopefully with the sweet potato will help regulate his blood sugar levels and help eliminate the seizures.
If this doesn't work, we'll take him to the clinic so they can do GBC testing over a period of a day to see what's happening as well as test the other levels mentioned before.
djstratton
djstratton

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by AussieStaff Thu Mar 27 2014, 05:59

Oh my gosh! I am SO sorry to hear. How awful for you all, and especially with you headed down under. I hope he's ok and makes a speedy recovery, hopefully the change of diet helps. Thinking of you x
AussieStaff
AussieStaff
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Global Mod
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Global Mod

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Koda
Dog(s) Ages : 15/10/13
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 450

Back to top Go down

Post by flowerbud Thu Mar 27 2014, 10:50

Oh no poor Marquez and you! It sounds as if he might have a low stress threshold? You going away and then returning could push his stress/excitement over his level if he is susceptible to seizures? I don't feed raw but I thought you had to be careful mixing cooked and raw at the same meal for their digestion. I could be wrong.
I so hope you find what's causing it Diane and a treatment. Good luck with the things you are trying x
flowerbud
flowerbud

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Alfie
Dog(s) Ages : 2yrs
Support total : 738

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Thu Mar 27 2014, 13:33

Oh no, I'm so sorry to hear this, bless you both  Seizures - not a great couple of days for Marquez  :(  UPDATED WITH POSSIBLE CAUSES & TREATMENT 3198918699 I really hope you can find the cause and a solution xx
Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 27 2014, 13:39

Oh Diane how awful! You must be so worried for your boy! I really hope you get to the bottom of it ASAP Seizures - not a great couple of days for Marquez  :(  UPDATED WITH POSSIBLE CAUSES & TREATMENT 3198918699

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Thu Mar 27 2014, 14:31

So sorry to hear about this Diane, it does sound like low blood sugar doesn't it. Hope you can get something sorted for the little fella  Seizures - not a great couple of days for Marquez  :(  UPDATED WITH POSSIBLE CAUSES & TREATMENT 3198918699 
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by djstratton Thu Mar 27 2014, 22:00

Kathy wrote:So sorry to hear about this Diane, it does sound like low blood sugar doesn't it. Hope you can get something sorted for the little fella  Seizures - not a great couple of days for Marquez  :(  UPDATED WITH POSSIBLE CAUSES & TREATMENT 3198918699 

You know it could be or might not be but since 4pm when he had his last one, he made it through the night and its been 13 hours since he had it. I've been adding some complex carbs with each meal as well as giving him smaller portions so he's eating more frequently to stabilise his blood sugar in case it is. When I'm back in Aus next week, I'll be picking up a tub of Taurine and Aceytl L-Carnitine (both amino acid supplements that I would use as figure bodybuilding athlete) to give to him. The Taurine is an anti-convulsant and both taurine and ALC are used to stabilise blood sugar.
djstratton
djstratton

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by djstratton Thu Mar 27 2014, 22:06

AussieStaff wrote:Oh my gosh! I am SO sorry to hear. How awful for you all, and especially with you headed down under. I hope he's ok and makes a speedy recovery, hopefully the change of diet helps. Thinking of you x

Not too sure if it is the food but so far so good. No seizures for 13 hours so happy that its getting longer in-between episodes.
djstratton
djstratton

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Thu Mar 27 2014, 22:08

Yeah that's got to be good  Smile xx
Sazzle
Sazzle

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by djstratton Thu Mar 27 2014, 22:34

flowerbud wrote:Oh no poor Marquez and you! It sounds as if he might have a low stress threshold? You going away and then returning could push his stress/excitement over his level if he is susceptible to seizures? I don't feed raw but I thought you had to be careful mixing cooked and raw at the same meal for their digestion. I could be wrong.
I so hope you find what's causing it Diane and a treatment. Good luck with the things you are trying x

If it was a low stress threshold, we would've expected to see seizures after when he first came home us as that would've been an EXTREMELY stressful time for him. Our daughter who is 10 btw, says its "Anxiety separation stress"! I think she's been busy with Dr. Google  Laughing 

In regards to the raw, I know dry food has to fed at different times to raw but not heard anything about fresh cooked food but I think that they also would have different digestion times. I've given him one meal with sweet potato and a couple with rice with his meats and so far no issues. I will stick to sweet potato/potato though as I do want to keep him grain free.
djstratton
djstratton

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by djstratton Fri Mar 28 2014, 09:49

24 hours and he hasn't had a seizure. Fingers crossed they are over for now. I suppose we'll find out if it is stress/excitement related when Angel and I get back from our trip next friday evening and he starts having them again.
djstratton
djstratton

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 28 2014, 12:13

Poor boy how distressing for you all, hope you can get it sorted asap xx

Back to top Go down

Post by -Ian- Fri Mar 28 2014, 13:57

It must be so very frustrating not knowing what sets them off.

Good news that he hasn't had any for 24hrs though  Smile 

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Seizures - not a great couple of days for Marquez  :(  UPDATED WITH POSSIBLE CAUSES & TREATMENT B110
-Ian-
-Ian-
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down

Post by djstratton Fri Mar 28 2014, 13:59

-Ian- wrote:It must be so very frustrating not knowing what sets them off.

Good news that he hasn't had any for 24hrs though  Smile 

Yes it is very frustrating!!! So far so good and still no more seizures. Will be interesting though next weekend when we get back to see what happens.
djstratton
djstratton

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by flowerbud Fri Mar 28 2014, 17:16

Glad he seems to be settling down again, lets hope he doesn't have any more. Will be very interesting to see how he copes next weekend. If he starts again your daughter could be right! Smile
"Anxiety separation stress"! I think she's been busy with Dr. Google Laughing
You must all be so worried Diane, I expect its verydistressing for your daughter to see too Sad
flowerbud
flowerbud

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Fri Mar 28 2014, 18:34

aww poor lad

Steve

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 29 2014, 01:59

How's our boy doing Diane? Xx

Back to top Go down

Post by djstratton Sat Mar 29 2014, 02:07

Still no more seizures but he's started up with howling and sounding so sad. I've heard that some dogs do this after a seizure. I wonder if he's getting withdrawals from the valium. Fingers crossed that they don't come back.
djstratton
djstratton

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 29 2014, 02:24

Paws and claws crossed here Hun Seizures - not a great couple of days for Marquez  :(  UPDATED WITH POSSIBLE CAUSES & TREATMENT 3198918699 xxx

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Sat Mar 29 2014, 12:14

Could be, aww poor boy  Seizures - not a great couple of days for Marquez  :(  UPDATED WITH POSSIBLE CAUSES & TREATMENT 3198918699 let's hope he's over the worst of it xx
Sazzle
Sazzle

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by djstratton Sat Apr 05 2014, 09:06

Well we got back last night after almost a week away and so far no seizures. We had contemplated using Phenobarbital in the days before we came home at the vets recommendation to prevent it if it was excitement causing it but we decided not to because then we wouldn't know if it was the drugs preventing the seizure or the diet changes (added sweet potato/potato to meat) we made to control blood glucose levels that has made the difference. If he did have a seizure, we could say pretty much without a doubt it was the excitement of seeing us again.
I picked up some homeopathy preps for him in Australia - a seizure support pack which included a Blood Sugar Balance, Seizure Support and Herba Calm. Because they know that he had a reaction to the kennel cough vaccine, they gave me a bottle of Cough Clear which they actually use in the boarding kennels there instead of kennel cough vaccine. I also have a bottle of Vaccine Detox to start him on now (1 dose once a week for 7 weeks) as it looks like he'll get that rabies vaccine on monday. There are instructions on there on dosing incase he does experience side effects. I also got some Rescue Remedy that both my brother and my friend that works at the vet clinic uses on animals in the clinic as well as the show dogs. Both said that Rescue Remedy works extremely well.
I also picked up Taurine and Acetyl L-Carnitine from the sports supplement there. Both are used for blood glucose stabilisation for those that train and it applies to dogs too. The Taurine is also used as an anti-convulsant. I'm adding a small dose of each to his water as they are both 100% pure without flavour, preservatives or other crap in there. Fingers crossed that he remains seizure free from now on.
djstratton
djstratton

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Sat Apr 05 2014, 12:13

Oh yes fingers crossed for him Diane, sounds like your doing everything you can for him  Seizures - not a great couple of days for Marquez  :(  UPDATED WITH POSSIBLE CAUSES & TREATMENT 3198918699 xx
Sazzle
Sazzle

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sara n Ozzy Sat Apr 05 2014, 21:38

Aww fingers crossed how distressing for all of you
Sara n Ozzy
Sara n Ozzy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ozzy
Dog(s) Ages : 6
Dog Gender(s) : Boy
Support total : 956

Back to top Go down

Post by Bane Tue Apr 08 2014, 00:33

Fingers crossed for you Marquez! I really hope you have found the issue and he will be without seizures from now on Smile Good luck little man!
Bane
Bane

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bane
Dog(s) Ages : 13th August 2013
Support total : 332

Back to top Go down

Post by djstratton Tue Apr 08 2014, 01:06

Thanks Saz, Sara and Emma, he's still seizure free and now the vets also believe its a low blood glucose issue. Funny that it takes their patients owner to work it out Big Grin So glad that we didn't go with the phenobarb recommendation otherwise we'd still be wondering. Hubby is off to Europe next week for a couple of weeks so it will be interesting to see how Marquez is when he returns. I think we will be 100% sure then that it isn't an stress/excitement issue.
The only downside of adding the carbs to his raw diet is that he's put on almost 1kg in 2 weeks and he's now weighing 23kg I dont want to s  I'll still haven't heard of dogs on raw having this problem so I'm assuming that the sudden switch from kibble to raw could explain why he's had this problem. It's not uncommon for people who suddenly go extremely low carb to experience issues with blood glucose issues so I shouldn't be surprised about this happening to dogs too. I'll start reducing his carb intake very slowly (which is what we usually recommend people do) until we back to zero and see how he goes. I'll continue with the supplements (taurine and acetyl l-carnitine) that will also help stabilise his blood glucose levels and hopefully this works. It will be interesting to see how he goes over the next month or two.
djstratton
djstratton

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 08 2014, 01:34

So happy Marquez is seizure free Diane, what a relief it must have been to come home and him be ok! Hopefully everything your doing combined will keep those nasty seizures away Seizures - not a great couple of days for Marquez  :(  UPDATED WITH POSSIBLE CAUSES & TREATMENT 3198918699

Back to top Go down

Post by djstratton Fri Apr 18 2014, 04:18

Oh well here we go again. He had his first one since that last lot 3 weeks ago this morning at 6.30am. I have to say that it looks like it could be that my husband is the trigger and who left last night for two weeks in Europe. The last two lots happened when he got back from travel and yesterday while hubby was packing bags, he was glued to his side and on his feet.
Gave him his valium and have started on his Seizure Support drops as well as Rescue Remedy to keep the anxiety at bay. It's been almost 4 hours and so far so good with no more repeats so hopefully this was just a one off thing this morning but based on what's happened previously, I won't be surprised if it happens a few more times.
djstratton
djstratton

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 18 2014, 05:54

Oh no Diane Sad how distressing for you all Seizures - not a great couple of days for Marquez  :(  UPDATED WITH POSSIBLE CAUSES & TREATMENT 3198918699 take care love your in our thoughts! Xx

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 18 2014, 06:55

Aw no Diane, so sorry to hear that. You're doing everything you can and we're thinking of you.

Back to top Go down

Post by djstratton Fri Apr 18 2014, 07:27

Thanks Lisa and Hayley. 7 hours since his first this morning and so far so good. Fingers crossed that the drops have worked their magic. Before when he had the seizures they would happen between 2 and 4 hours apart so this is a good sign. Heart is still jumping every time he moves or makes a sound while he's sleeping though  Sad 
djstratton
djstratton

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by flowerbud Fri Apr 18 2014, 07:38

Oh no not again Sad You are doing all you can to help him. Hope he has no more x
flowerbud
flowerbud

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by -Ian- Fri Apr 18 2014, 11:12

Just when it looked like you had it all under control too  Sad 

Does look as if stress could be the trigger, let's hope that all the other work you have been doing limits these episodes. Hoping he has a good restful day and that it's a one off Diane

Seizures - not a great couple of days for Marquez  :(  UPDATED WITH POSSIBLE CAUSES & TREATMENT B110
-Ian-
-Ian-

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 18 2014, 11:27

How's he doing Diane? Xx

Back to top Go down

Post by djstratton Fri Apr 18 2014, 12:04

_Hayley_ wrote:How's he doing Diane? Xx

Unfortunately he had another one almost 4 hours ago but this time his recovery seemed to be different to his earlier one today where he basically slept all day and the other times he them. About 90 minutes ago he was back to his usual energetic playful self and not sad or dopey. He really perked up when I asked him if he wanted to go for a walk so I took him. He totally powered through it and stopped only once whereas he usually stops 3-4 times. I'm keeping up with the seizure support drops and will be sleeping downstairs to keep an eye on him. Hopefully he has no more between now and the morning.
djstratton
djstratton

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Fri Apr 18 2014, 12:06

Aw no, sorry to hear this Diane  Seizures - not a great couple of days for Marquez  :(  UPDATED WITH POSSIBLE CAUSES & TREATMENT 3198918699 thinking of you both xx
Sazzle
Sazzle

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by djstratton Fri Apr 18 2014, 12:09

-Ian- wrote:Just when it looked like you had it all under control too  Sad 

Does look as if stress could be the trigger, let's hope that all the other work you have been doing limits these episodes. Hoping he has a good restful day and that it's a one off Diane

Its really starting to look like its stress/anxiety related to my husband going away and coming back. Strange really considering I'm the one that spends ALL day with him. He was sticking to him more than usual yesterday so he knew the hubby was heading off. Even pissed on one of his bags as if to say "how could you leave us and not take us with you"  Tongues 
djstratton
djstratton

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by djstratton Fri Apr 18 2014, 14:24

Wishful thinking can only do so much.  He had another one an hour ago  Crying or Very sad   Was a pretty bad one too despite the valium.  I really hope they stop soon, hate seeing him like this Sad Can see it's going to be a long night with not much sleep for me. Told the hubby after he landed in Spain a short while ago and he is feeling guilty and he also thinks its him that's causing the stress on Marquez.
djstratton
djstratton

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by -Ian- Sat Apr 19 2014, 00:14

How is he Diane ?... Hope he's been settled since the last episode

-Ian-
-Ian-

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by djstratton Sat Apr 19 2014, 00:31

He had another just before 12.30am Ian Sad I slept downstairs on the floor so I could be close incase anything happened and it was weird because I was having a dream that he was having a seizure and I woke up and was debating whether to turn on the light or not to check on him and see if I had missed one when he started to have one. Had everything there ready for him and he settled right back down after a few minutes after the episode and went back to sleep. Its 6.30am here now and so far so good.

This is the second time that I've had a feeling that he was going to have one, the first I was at a hair salon and had a strange urge to login on my phone to the house CCTV and I could the hubby rush to Marquez's favourite corner just as he was starting a seizure. Hubby thought it was freaky that I was sending messages to him and the daughter asking if Marquez was ok as it was happening.
djstratton
djstratton

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by djstratton Sat Apr 19 2014, 06:42

Think my baby boy is over it for now. 12 hours without a seizure and I can start to breathe easier. Hopefully he stays seizure free and it will be interesting to see in a couple of weeks when the hubby gets back from Europe.
djstratton
djstratton

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Sat Apr 19 2014, 10:16

Glad to hear he's doing ok xx
Sazzle
Sazzle

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by -Ian- Sat Apr 19 2014, 10:45

Pleased he's been fine today Diane. It is strange when you get that sixth sense about things like this, mind you I wouldn't mind that sort of thing with the lotto numbers  Laughing 

Hope the rest of the day is good and that you all get a decent nights sleep tonight  Smile 

-Ian-
-Ian-

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by djstratton Sat Apr 19 2014, 10:48

-Ian- wrote:Pleased he's been fine today Diane. It is strange when you get that sixth sense about things like this, mind you I wouldn't mind that sort of thing with the lotto numbers  Laughing 

Hope the rest of the day is good and that you all get a decent nights sleep tonight  Smile 

I think we'd all wouldn't mind a sixth sense with lotto numbers  Laughing 

Well still all good and about to take him for a walk now that the afternoon showers have stopped. Still plan on sleeping on the floor downstairs just in case but I think he's fine now  Smile 
djstratton
djstratton

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by -Ian- Sun Apr 20 2014, 18:10

How has he been over night and today Diane ?

-Ian-
-Ian-

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by djstratton Mon Apr 21 2014, 01:11

Thanks Ian - he's been all good since that last one at 12.30am on Saturday morning. No howling or depression in the days afterwards like he did last time either which we think could've been valium withdrawals and where he had 5 doses in under a day Sad
djstratton
djstratton

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by -Ian- Mon Apr 21 2014, 12:19

Great news... Will be interesting to see what happens when your OH gets back.. Hopefully things will be better.

Welcome to the team too Diane  Big Grin

-Ian-
-Ian-

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by djstratton Sun Apr 27 2014, 23:47

Here we go again  Sad  Woke up at 4.00am and for some reason couldn't fall back to sleep so just laid there wishing 5.30am to come around so that I would get up but 16 minutes later I could hear what I thought was Marquez pawing his door trying to get out of his crate. It wasn't when he wasn't barking after a minute that I thought "its happening again"!! Rushed downstairs to see him coming out of a seizure. 10 days since his last one and the hubby is still away and not back until next tuesday. Now a bit confused as what the trigger was this time which was really looking like stress related to hubby going away/coming home. Hopefully this was a one off but from past episodes, I don't think it will be Sad
djstratton
djstratton

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by djstratton Mon Apr 28 2014, 07:40

Almost 9 and half hours and no more seizures. This has been the longest in between so fingers crossed no more Smile
djstratton
djstratton

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next