Harness

3 posters

Go down

Harness Empty Harness

Post by Guest Wed May 25 2011, 19:32

Ok, so i think i wrote about this before but its still going on! lol .. i think i will talk to my vet about this when i take Skye for her jabs.
Basically Vinnie LOVES his walks! HOWEVER lol .. when i go to put his harness on he suddenly looks all sad, i have to pick him up to put it on and he drops his head like hes been given a good telling off! he will sulk, Sometimes he'll lie down so you cant put it on etc and he goes all majorly sulky, untill he is out the front door then he is fine and walks off tail in the air lol.

I dont want to walk him on his collar because i hate pulling on his neck!, he pulls on collar-lead walks but on harness-lead walks his fine!. The harness isn't too tight and doesnt pinch etc, he has a halti harness with padding on the straps etc. I once put his harness on an hour before we went for a walk and then took him out, he sulked for about 25mins!.

Any ideas or tips?

Back to top Go down

Harness Empty Re: Harness

Post by niff Wed May 25 2011, 21:42

persivere , shady hated the harness to start with
niff
niff
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Shady & Dakota
Dog Gender(s) : male and female
Support total : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 25 2011, 22:36

Either persevere, or train him to walk properly on a collar! I've always collar & lead trained a dog before using a harness.

By the way, do you have an id tag on the harness? So many people forget that - they put a tag on a collar but not a harness!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 25 2011, 22:58

No i dont have one on his harness :S .. is he meant too? .. he has one on his collar and his collar is never removed unless his having a bath

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 25 2011, 23:08

Oh, right, you have the collar and the harness on? Sorry, I assumed you just put the harness on with no collar! Blushing

Back to top Go down

Post by Louise C Thu May 26 2011, 10:24

I don't have any tips, but Lola does something similar.

I get her harness off the hook and she always walks to the door and lowers her head, I then lay the harness on the floor and have to lift her front legs into it. She's alway done this and I've always wondered why, it's not a problem, just very weird lol
Louise C
Louise C

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Lola
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by foxy.lee Thu May 26 2011, 11:13

Nakita would rather try and chew her harness. i use a cat harness atm as shes so small. she hasnt had her 2nd jabs yet til next week but i let the kids walk her round the garden or just put her harness on and let her into the garden and play with her. hopefully she will associate the harness with playing with her ball xx
foxy.lee
foxy.lee
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Nikita
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 26 2011, 14:01

Haha yeeaa he always has his collar on and then we walk him on his harness lol.. We always say if he was ever to run out the door we'd have nothing to grab him if he had no collar on etc lol.
Haha awww its no prob lem for me I just don't want him feeling his harness is bad news .. I wonder if its because he started wearing his harness when he went the vets so associates it with vets which he hates lol.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 26 2011, 14:50

could you maybe give a yummy treat as the harness is being put on .. so he associates the putting on of the harness with something good?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 26 2011, 15:13

harvey didn't hate his harness but he did try and eat it when i first put it on him, but after a few times of getting a treat and then a walk he now goes mad when i get his harness out Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 26 2011, 15:14

Yeeaa I can try that Smile .. He won't go out today tho' we have a storm lol so he's making sure his staying in haha.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down