Harness

2 posters

Go down

Harness Empty Harness

Post by Guest Sat Jan 01 2011, 18:04

Vinnie has been doing this for a few weeks now, basically when i go to put his harness on him to take him out for a walk he backs up .. he gets all excited when i go get his harness and lead and then sits for them to be put on, BUT when i go to put the harness on he backs up and sometimes will run of.
I dont no if his just being his playfull self or if he just doesn't like having it put on?
He walks fine on the harness no problems, he dont chew it to get it of its just putting it on, he's also ok if i pick him up and sit him on my lap to put it on. its not the wrong size either it fits him perfectly
Any ideas? Smile

Back to top Go down

Harness Empty Re: Harness

Post by Guest Sat Jan 01 2011, 18:46

Maybe its intimidating to him to have you walking towards him with it out ready? If he's happy to sit on your lap and have it on, I think maybe its just a bit overwhelming for him to have you advancing to him with it then stood over putting it on. I'm prob completely wrong, just an idea.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 01 2011, 21:38

ohh no i dont stand over him, i always go down to his level and wait for him to come to me, he comes over then does a runner lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 01 2011, 22:37

Hmmm, no idea then, sorry. Hope you're able to figure it out soon. Maybe try enticing him into it with a treat the way you would with a muzzle or halti?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 01 2011, 23:07

I'd go back to just using a collar for a while. Maybe he just needs a change?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 01 2011, 23:09

tried the treats haha, its ok its not like its a major problem just wanted to see if anyone else had it aswell, i'l just sit him on my lap to do it Smile

yeea i could collar and lead him for a bit and see if he still does it after a few days but if no change i'l just have to stick to the lap because i prefer harness walking lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 01 2011, 23:16

It could just be a habit he's got into, and a change may break it.

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Sat Jan 01 2011, 23:29

Don't use a harness myself but if he's happy when you put it on when he's on your lap then just carry on doing it that way! They all have there funny ways and that just might be his! Good luck when he weighs a few pounds though!! As long as he's happy with it on then thats all that matters! Smile
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 01 2011, 23:38

staffy-lover89 wrote:Vinnie has been doing this for a few weeks now, basically when i go to put his harness on him to take him out for a walk he backs up .. he gets all excited when i go get his harness and lead and then sits for them to be put on, BUT when i go to put the harness on he backs up and sometimes will run of.
I dont no if his just being his playfull self or if he just doesn't like having it put on?
He walks fine on the harness no problems, he dont chew it to get it of its just putting it on, he's also ok if i pick him up and sit him on my lap to put it on. its not the wrong size either it fits him perfectly
Any ideas? Smile

memphis is doing the self same thing at the moment and he the same age but if i conect the leash to the harness he will come over and get it put straight on Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 02 2011, 19:13

arrr! ok i will try that one! haha he is a funny one mine is! haha

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 02 2011, 20:30

Haha this made me laugh as kaos does the same thing waits for me to bend down then runs away but he is defo playing, the little bug**r, tail wagging like mad and barking at me wanting me to chase him lol.......Ty on the other hand sits then lifts one paw up at a time to put the harness on.....my good boy! x

Back to top Go down

Post by Cornish-Muscle Mon Jan 03 2011, 23:27

Molly does the complete opposite to this. She gets all excited when she knows she's going for a walk, as soon as the harness, or lead comes out, she cowers and shakes, then as soon as we're out the door and past the front gate, she's completely fine.
I have no idea why she's like it, she's on a collar and lead at the moment, maybe that'll help.
Cornish-Muscle
Cornish-Muscle

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Molly
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 03 2011, 23:54

Cornish-Muscle wrote:Molly does the complete opposite to this. She gets all excited when she knows she's going for a walk, as soon as the harness, or lead comes out, she cowers and shakes, then as soon as we're out the door and past the front gate, she's completely fine.
I have no idea why she's like it, she's on a collar and lead at the moment, maybe that'll help.

no thats not the opposite thayts the same gets excited then backs off /cowers then fine when out it must be a hitty missy staffy trate lol Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down