How Far Is Too Much Walking In One Day

5 posters

Go down

How Far Is Too Much Walking In One Day Empty How Far Is Too Much Walking In One Day

Post by Bruno311210 Wed Mar 12 2014, 17:38

Hi

Not sure where this should go.............

I haven't been on for a long time due to family life's up and down. But we have moved again................

Bruno was humping his cushion and the vet said to give him more exercise...............

Bruno now get walked 6.8 miles a day in two parts as I do the school run which the first walk is 3.4 miles and the same again at hometime, is this too much in one day ? as he isn't really eating properly which has been a on going problem for a long time and now he is losing weight. The only way I can get him to eat is waterdown his biscuits. Any thoughts ?

Anne And Bruno age 3
Bruno311210
Bruno311210
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Bruno
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 5

Back to top Go down

How Far Is Too Much Walking In One Day Empty Re: How Far Is Too Much Walking In One Day

Post by Rachel33 Wed Mar 12 2014, 18:16

Hiya! I think that's fine, not too much! Biscuit generally gets about 5 miles a day, but can get between 10-15 on other days if we go hiking or I take her out with my clients dogs.

What's he being fed on? I'm always sympathetic when dogs don't want to eat dry food as it must be soooo boring compared to what they're designed to eat! I feed half raw and half nature diet (only have a small freezer at the moment) but have fed kennel dogs on dry for the past 4 years and warm water can help, or a tiny bit of meat mixed in can work wonders!
Rachel33
Rachel33
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bug (Biscuit)
Dog(s) Ages : 7 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1012

Back to top Go down

How Far Is Too Much Walking In One Day Empty Re: How Far Is Too Much Walking In One Day

Post by Kathy Wed Mar 12 2014, 19:31

This amount of exercise sounds fine, Rocky also gets about 4-5 miles per day, if he is eating the kibble when it is watered a little then continue to do so, we add some cooked cooled chicken to Rocky's and he eats it all up.

Does he have a stag bar or some other way to clean his teeth daily ? The dry kibble can be beneficial for keeping the teeth clean too.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 12 2014, 19:47

Adding sardines in oil or a raw egg can encourage him to eat his biscuits. What brand of food is he on? The amount of exercise seems fine Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by TonyW Wed Mar 12 2014, 21:30

That distance is fine at that age. I am friends with one of the Stafford Owner's that won at Crufts this year and he walked his dog 7 miles today. So you are ok there.

Would consider Diet change though. Doesn't sound like he is happy with existing diet.
TonyW
TonyW
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
How Far Is Too Much Walking In One Day Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Separeted
Dogs Name(s) : Barney
Dog(s) Ages : 18/12/2013
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 46

Back to top Go down

Post by JStaff Wed Mar 12 2014, 22:19

Definately not too much exercise. Actually that is a good amount and probally what Suki averages.
JStaff
JStaff

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Suki
Dog(s) Ages : 5
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 859

Back to top Go down

Post by Bruno311210 Thu Mar 13 2014, 20:19

Hi

Thanks for all the replies . He is fed on James Wellbeloved but he eating it well now, it is made soggy and he has a dental stick in the evening

Anne Smile
Bruno311210
Bruno311210

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Bruno
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by TonyW Fri Mar 14 2014, 00:06

I am feeding Barney JWB. However I am thinking of changing for two reasons:-

He does not seem overly keen unless the kibble is "embellished" in some way, and

He seems to have a completely insane hour after eating. He has only been walking outside for two days due to his age/jabs. He is picking everything up really well. However, today I accidentally went a LITTLE BIT further than I should have TWICE. Total misjudgement on my part, Barney was fine and loved it, but I obviously need to pick things up quicker. Anyway I expected him to be shattered tonight, NO CHANCE. Same mad hour or maybe even more on both occasions when we got home.

PS I am knackered lol
TonyW
TonyW
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
How Far Is Too Much Walking In One Day Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Separeted
Dogs Name(s) : Barney
Dog(s) Ages : 18/12/2013
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 46

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down