Walking my dog

2 posters

Go down

Walking my dog Empty Walking my dog

Post by shep Sun Dec 05 2010, 16:32

He's really edgy beside roads. I need to take him past a main road to get to the local park and he gets really anxious and scared of crossing. Any ideas on how to take his attention away from the traffic? Also, He seems to be in a world of his own when I take him on a walk. His head always seems to be down sniffing the pavement and I have to say things to him multiple times for him to do what I say. Other dogs don't bother him and neither do people. He's different when he's off the lead though. He doesn't seem as restricted and he takes more notice of me. It's come to a point where I'm the only one that will walk him because he's really strong and my parents struggle to hold him on the lead. He does like to pull quite a bit. But only when he's in his own little world.

Thanks for any help
shep
shep
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Freddy
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Walking my dog Empty Re: Walking my dog

Post by Guest Sun Dec 05 2010, 16:48

Re: the traffic, you need to distract & desensitise him. Teach him the 'watch me' command. Hold a treat right in front of your face & say 'watch me'. As soon as he does, praise & treat. Eventually as soon as you say 'watch me' he'll look at you, expecting the treat even if it isn't there. You'll also need to teach him to 'heel'.

Next, when you go in the busy road (make sure you have plenty of his fav treats!), get him to walk to heel, and as you walk along, go back to the basics with the 'watch me' command - ie treat in front of your face. As he'll already know the command he'll look up & see the treat. Then you can lead him past the traffic while he's concentrating on you.

After a while he should start to accept that the traffic is no danger to him & he'll settle.

Back to top Go down

Post by gem Sun Dec 05 2010, 17:49

there are loads of dogs that are scared of traffic so that is so normal sounds like hes got the collie drive in him
gem
gem
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : duke
Dog Gender(s) : dog
Support total : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 06 2010, 00:34

my previous staffy had that to but as said above we taught him the watch me command, worked like a charm .. especially when he decided he would try and jump AT! large vehicles i.e lorrys and especially buses! always on the lead i add! its a good thing to get them out of! lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down