Sazzle
JStaff
Kathy
suzieJ
12 posters

Go down

Sad Sleeping (or lack thereof!)

Post by AussieStaff Mon Feb 03 2014, 06:14

Just wanted to get some advice from you guys about sleeping. Koda is 15 weeks and has slept outside no problem for the past month or so, until about a week ago would pop himself to bed around 9.30pm and start to whine to get let inside around 5.30am. Now he is waking 4.30am, 3.30am (today, ah!!) no matter what time he goes to bed. Last night he was dead to the world at 8pm so I kept waking him & trying to get him to play but he'd just move off to another spot and sleep again. Similar the night before.

I can't ignore him when he wakes early as he jumps up on my security door which will eventually get ruined and makes a hell of a noise (whining, howling, barking) which will eventually pee my neighbours off (if not already). If we lived in the middle of the bush I'd leave him to whine until a reasonable time like 5.30am, but this isn't the case as we live in a new housing development. We have been leaving him to whine for about 10mins then letting him inside, he hops up on our bed and falls asleep which is great but I don't want this to become the norm as he won't be 7KG forever !

It has been hot during the days (around 35-38c for days on end). Nothing has changed in terms of his diet, the amount of time we spend with him, how much we play with him etc. He can start going for walks this weekend (thank God !!!) so that should make a difference, but pleeease tell me we don't have to put up with early morning whining for the entire week (or more!)? We are exhausted !! Thanks heaps, even for just listening to the rant. SIGNED: Tired Pup Owner(s).  sleepy 
AussieStaff
AussieStaff
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Global Mod

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Koda
Dog(s) Ages : 15/10/13
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 450

Back to top Go down

Sad Re: Sleeping (or lack thereof!)

Post by suzieJ Mon Feb 03 2014, 11:45

Staffies need to be near humans (living/sleeping in the same home)
He doesn't have to be in your bedroom, have your tried putting his bed/crate outside your bedroom door  Smile 
suzieJ
suzieJ
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Sleeping (or lack thereof!) Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Lucy & Franky
Dog(s) Ages : Lucy 4 yrs Franky 3 yrs
Dog Gender(s) : Female / Male
Support total : 18

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Mon Feb 03 2014, 11:54

He could be waking up earlier because the amount of daylight ie: is it getting lighter earlier ?

Staffies are a breed of dog that crave human attention usually and it sounds like he is wanting to be with you more. Rocky is 20 kg and sleeps on our bed  Smile 

Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by JStaff Mon Feb 03 2014, 12:19

I'd try moving a crate or bed into your room. Suki sleeps with us but regardless of exercise levels she's up by 6AM.
JStaff
JStaff

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Suki
Dog(s) Ages : 5
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 859

Back to top Go down

Post by AussieStaff Mon Feb 03 2014, 17:07

Its 4am now & hes on our bed again. When he can be trusted inside alone I'll move his bed closer but surely they dont all sleep on our beds??
AussieStaff
AussieStaff

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 03 2014, 17:17

I think 90% of our members pooches sleep with them, I'd have darcy with me but OH is having none of it Surprised so she sleeps downstairs in her crate xx

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Mon Feb 03 2014, 18:25

Daisy sleeps with me now!
Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by Bane Mon Feb 03 2014, 18:29

Aw you must be shattered! Sad
Bane sleeps downstairs in the kitchen over night, always has. He usually snugs with us on the sofa until we go to bed between 10pm-12am and then sleeps right through until we get him up. This can be 4am, 7am or even 10am on the weekends. He usually comes up for a cuddle with us in the morning, but otherwise sleeps downstairs.

We were always told to not go to him in the night if he whines, but if he is outside it's harder for you because of the neighbours. Is it possible for you to move him into the house overnight? Do you have an area with hard floor that you could section off with a baby gate? That way if he did need to go toilet, it wouldn't ruin any carpets?
They are very sociable and being that bit closer to you might help keep him settled.
Bane
Bane

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bane
Dog(s) Ages : 13th August 2013
Support total : 332

Back to top Go down

Post by m4rkg Mon Feb 03 2014, 18:35

I've not let spud on the bed yet, notice I say yet as once he's bigger he'll prob jump up while I'm Sleepin and take up more of the bed than me Laughing they just wanna be cuddled up to their best buddies Big Grin
m4rkg
m4rkg
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Spud
Dog(s) Ages : 7months
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by AussieStaff Mon Feb 03 2014, 20:42

So the only option is to give in? Sad I am happy for him to be inside but he can't be trusted to have free roam of the house while sleeping yet, so for now he's outside which has been no problem at all until the last few days. He may settle down again I guess too. He used to sleep in the laundry (open to open plan lounge / kitchen / dining area) but we put a stop to that after a couple of weeks as he wouLd wee during the night and it stunk no matter how much we scrubbed it, now he's toilet trained I don't want to go back to cleaning up after him again & him thinking it's ok to go inside. Tonight I'll out him out and when he wakes put him on a spare bed for him on our floor, that might be enough to appease him (fingers crossed). Thanks for your answers guys,, sorry for the whine Smile
AussieStaff
AussieStaff

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by michellemartin Mon Feb 03 2014, 20:54

Alfie sleeps downstairs in his crate and has since the day we got him. We went for the tough love option and never went down to him when he whined for the first few nights and since then he goes straight through without a peep. Would you consider getting a crate for Koda if you can't trust him in the house while you're asleep? He probably wouldn't be a big fan of it but if it meant he could be closer to his mummy he might not mind so much Smile xx
michellemartin
michellemartin

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Alfie
Dog(s) Ages : 8 months
Support total : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by KMDT Mon Feb 03 2014, 21:48

Zeus was sleeping in pen till he became big enough to jump out around 4 month ish then we bought extra large crate. (Because we didn't trust him) He never pee/poo inside and pretty happy to go in and sleep while we are out or night time. He is starting to sleep with us last one month but he is getting bigger these days so he sleep with me for few hours and go to crate to sleep when my hubby comes to bed. I am pretty happy that he is happy to sleep with us or crate and take crate as his bedroom  Big Grin 
KMDT
KMDT
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Zeus
Dog(s) Ages : 31/7/2013
Support total : 21

Back to top Go down

Post by Bane Mon Feb 03 2014, 22:10

If he has been fine up until recently you could always try to just stick to it see if he will start sleeping through again? Or when he whines, go down to him but take him back to his bed outside and try and settle him? If he's been whining and you've been letting him up to your bed he may be getting cheeky thinking he can do it all the time or earlier in the mornings so that he can get those few extra hours with you Wink
Bane
Bane

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by AussieStaff Mon Feb 03 2014, 23:28

That's a great point, I should try and settle him back into his own bed first. I'm not keen on a crate only because I envisage toilet training going out the window, he doesn't seem old enough to wake me to be let out for the toilet. Such a shame as everyone seems to use crates and they seem to work well, I just feel bad he would be in a cage and can't imagine him making it his own space after having free run of the yard now. Sorry just really tired today and can see no light at the end of the tunnel at the moment, I know it WILL get better ... Sad
AussieStaff
AussieStaff

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by AusJas Tue Feb 04 2014, 09:29

Try a soft sided crat like I use...like a canvas with metal collapsable frame...Koda would already have a toilet spot outside so house training probably wouldnt be as hard as a new puppy....im going through the 3 times a night wake up call with my new boy Dozer, he is in a crate beside the bed and he whines when he needs to go as most will not go in their bed....though he does get a snuggle in bed after his 4:30am wake up call for an hour or so until it is time for me to get up....Molly sleeps with my two boys and usually under the covers at their feet, she generally divides the night between the two beds, the cheeky brat lol

Koda will end up on your bed....they are happier with your company, and you will be too  Big Grin
AusJas
AusJas

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Molly / Dozer
Dog(s) Ages : 22-01-13 / 06-12-13
Dog Gender(s) : Female / Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Bane Tue Feb 04 2014, 11:10

Bane was about 11/12 weeks when he stopped having accidents inside and a couple weeks after that started to let us know when he wanted to go out so I'm sure Koda would catch onto it Smile It may take a few days if he is used to being able to go whenever he likes outside though.
I hear a lot of good things about crates but we just have a bed for Bane in the utility room with a baby gate across the door. That way he can wander around if he wants to without being able to get to anything that he could destroy while we were sleeping Tongues
Bane
Bane

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Simi Tue Feb 04 2014, 15:05

I was really against crate training and thought it was mean. Are old dog snoop was never put in a crate and slept on my bed.
When i thought about getting a puppy i read up on crate training and it changed my mind completely. My sister loaned us a large pet carrier but Tallulah hated it and would not settled. As it was not mine i was worried she would damage it and decided to get are own. The one i got was from amazon and Tallulah loves it. I can honestly say i didn`t crate train her she just accepted it and was happy to spend time in it.
Tallulah goes to bed around 10:30pm-12 and settles down very quickly. At 3:00am i get up and let her out for a pee most times she does not bother and just wants to go back to sleep. There has been the odd night she has whined and i`ve gone down to her. I let her out to see if she needs to pee but most of the time she just wants to check i`m there or has got a little cold. I put her back in and put her blanket over her and she settles back down. I get up at 6:20am and let her out she then gets on the couch and goes back to sleep.
Simi
Simi

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Tallulah
Dog(s) Ages : 21/11/13
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 47

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 04 2014, 16:15

Vin also sleeps in his crate in the kitchen, has never slept with us and funny enough if he does go upstairs he isn't up there very long. Mind you a few mornings when the OH has gone to work early 6.30am I insist he lets him up with me, he snuggles for a bit but gets restless!.
I have only just now started leaving him out the crate when out only for an hour or so and will probs start doing it at nite as I don't think he can stretch out enough and is rather stiff come mornings. Hence to say he is as good as gold xxx

Back to top Go down

Post by AussieStaff Tue Feb 04 2014, 20:43

Thanks heaps guys! We had a 2.30am today but il think that's because it was cold. Tried to settle him back into his own bed outside and he took off into our bedroom lol. He slept on a blanket on our floor until 5am when OH got up, then onto our bed - still there when I left at 6.30 little bugger! Must hang in there and remind myself he will settle. Can start wLking him on Saturday, OH said he's going to walk him til he drops then carry him home hahahaha!
AussieStaff
AussieStaff

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by janfrost489 Wed Feb 05 2014, 19:39

Sasha sleeps in her crate downstairs at night, we did try her upstairs but she couldnt settle so we put her back downstairs in her crate and she fell fast asleep within seconds. I think she is so used to sleeping in there, she has her own blankets fleeces etc so is really cosy in there she doesn't want to be upstairs not even during the day xx
janfrost489
janfrost489

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : sasha
Dog(s) Ages : 06/05/2013
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 12

Back to top Go down

Post by AussieStaff Wed Feb 05 2014, 20:33

Aww so lucky! Guess we went about it wrong from the start and paying the price now. Woke at 1.30am, I brought him inside and he didn't settle so within mins OH took jim back outside and we didn't hear from him again til 5.30am, lucky ... Even if we feel like zombies lol! We will get there I'm sure.
AussieStaff
AussieStaff

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by AussieStaff Wed Feb 05 2014, 20:33

jim = him ^^ (sleep deprived lol)
AussieStaff
AussieStaff

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Bane Thu Feb 06 2014, 10:40

Aw glad he settled yesterday! It just takes perseverance <-- sp? o.O Once he gets walking I'm sure he will sleep better Smile They get a bit too big to be exercised at home at that age don't they!
Bane
Bane

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down