Anxiety and lack of confidence

5 posters

Go down

Anxiety and lack of confidence Empty Anxiety and lack of confidence

Post by TexMex Fri Jan 29 2016, 20:08

So I called this topic "anxiety and lack of confidence" because right now that's all i can pin current behaviour down to.

Tex came out of season about a week and a half ago (her second season, she will be spayed soon) so maybe its just a hormone thing affecting her still but...

Since I got her Texas would have "mood swings" (am I anthropomorphising? perhaps but again - just a descriptor). It can be something simple like suddenly going into a sullen mood, to something big like cowering away from me as if i would hurt her. Whereas seconds before she's fine

Now of course i would never hurt my girl, but she suffered bad abuse in the past so I obviously imagine this still affects her. The mood swings are more frequent at the minute, but I can't think of anything in her life having changed at all, apart from her season having happened.

The best example I can think of is pure excitement and joy about jumping into the car to go to our favourite woods (where she knows she's allowed off lead and off muzzle), 10 minutes later when we pull up she's cowering from me and won't let me touch her.

She has a problem with the bottom of the garden at the minute. I've had a look but I can't see what's possibly upsetting her at all, but whenever I open the back door she'll fly out, run to the bottom of the garden and shout her head off like she's scaring something away, and then she comes straight back in - neglecting to actually go to the toilet. So far I've tried; putting her on the lead to control her - but she just stands at the gate waiting to go on a walk; and also making her sit and wait before letting her go outside - either by walking away so i don't make an event of it, or by giving her a release command - but either way she'll immediately fly at the fences.

We recently had two days of her anxious behaviour because she accidentally pooped in the house in the middle of the night (she suddenly went in the middle of the road on our nightly jog and i tried to let her do her business but eventually a car did come and i had to move her which did upset her - i know she's delicate about going to the toilet so then she held it in and gave herself diarrhea) I took her outside and then let her back in but she was terrified of me!! Since then she just hasnt been quite right even though i never told her off or reprimanded her

I refer to this as "anxious" behaviour because it's almost similar to anxious behaviour in people that I see in myself, in my OH, and some of my friends who have been diagnosed with anxiety disorders

I'm sorry this is so long and rambly, I'm just wondering if any one can offer any help and what I can do to help her feel more confident about...everything. How can i teach her not to worry when she has accidents, or that the bottom of the garden doesn't hold anything sinister?

All i'm doing at the minute when she's anxious is 1) not forcing my touch onto her even though i want to comfort her she flinches and thats a clear sign to me to keep away 2) constantly talking to her in a gentle voice so she doesn't feel ignore 3) taking her running at her pace to help tire her out and for that endorphin release 4) continuing the routine as best I can but being conscious of her limits
TexMex
TexMex
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Texas
Dog(s) Ages : 1 year
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 19

http://instagram.com/TexMexOmalley

Back to top Go down

Anxiety and lack of confidence Empty Re: Anxiety and lack of confidence

Post by -Ian- Fri Jan 29 2016, 20:15

Hmm awkward problem. I think most Staffies have the odd episode as you describe but it's usually short lived. Sounds to me like you're doing everything as I would including giving Tex the space she wants. I'm wondering if it is the season that's causing this.

Will be interested to read other replies and sorry I can't offer any good advice Sad

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Anxiety and lack of confidence B110
-Ian-
-Ian-
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down

Post by TexMex Fri Jan 29 2016, 20:20

yerh I figured maybe her season had exacerbated the issue slightly.

*sigh* I never expected her to be easy knowing her awful history, I just wish she would realise i will never harm her, and if anyone has any tips that maybe I hadn't thought about that would be great

I want to mention though that I'm hoping to take her out on a doggy date with her best friend who she hasn't seen in months! My ex-housemate used to take her on walks with Jasper and since she left in November Texas hasn't seen her J-dog at all.

So hopefully maybe having regular contact with a dog friend again will help her - I don't know, but it's worth the try
TexMex
TexMex

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Texas
Dog(s) Ages : 1 year
Support total : 19

http://instagram.com/TexMexOmalley

Back to top Go down

Post by Mia05 Fri Jan 29 2016, 20:20

all I can suggest is being positive toward things that may scare her using treats depending how long you have had tex itnwill take her a while to trust you (mia suffered terrible abuse in her former 3 homes) . did u check the bottom of the garden to see there was nothing sinister she may see something there you can't. any accidents dnt make any reference to them clean up using soap powder and water so she doesn't revisit the spot id avoid the garden for the moment until shes confident theres nothing sinister .

Anxiety and lack of confidence B310
Mia05
Mia05
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Mia
Dog(s) Ages : 2005-2016 rip mia
Support total : 1317

Back to top Go down

Post by -Ian- Fri Jan 29 2016, 20:22

It can't hurt to have a Dog playmate for sure Em. I guess all you can do is give her reassurance and show her you love her as you have been

-Ian-
-Ian-

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down

Post by shegsy Fri Jan 29 2016, 20:37

Aww.. It must be awful to see her like this. I can't offer any advice as havn't any experience of these issues other than to love and reassure her when the episodes occur
shegsy
shegsy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Support Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Support Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Stella RIP angel
Dog(s) Ages : 04/2001 - 08/2014
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 328

Back to top Go down

Post by Mistys Mum Fri Jan 29 2016, 20:44

I wish people could understand they damage they do to dogs when they abuse them. The memories last for such a long time.
Just want to say what a great person you sound, a lot of people want a perfect dog instantly and force themselves on the dog to comfort them but you are doing it at Texs pace. She is lucky to have you.
I'm sure she will be fine with you looking after her!

Mistys Mum
Mistys Mum

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Misty
Dog(s) Ages : 16 months
Support total : 523

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 30 2016, 08:44

It could be memories of past abuse but it could also be her, possibly genetics. Millie has anxiety issues - Millie Meltdowns - when she cowers, shakes and sometimes lies down. She was in the rescue centre from 5 day old and we got her at 3 months, I promise she's never been even lightly tapped never mind hit, but there are times you'd think she'd been beaten to within an inch of her life.

In one of her books, the fab trainers Tricia McConnell talks about what she calls 'shy dogs', so dogs who are born with an excessive level of anxiety, and she believes it's a genetic trait. I know Millie's mum, Roxy, has high anxiety and one of her brothers, Sonny, showed exactly the same reactions as Millie to the same sorts of things.

So Tex's reactions may in fact be that.

The only things you can really do is keep working with positive training methods, keep watchful but not tense for signs of anxiety and work to settle her before anything builds, and I'd say not focus on any past abuse. Pity can be a very negative emotion, you're much better looking forwards to the positive rather than backwards to the negative.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down