Looking to go raw, but parents aren't keen

+2
Kathy
Sazzle
6 posters

Go down

Looking to go raw, but parents aren't keen Empty Looking to go raw, but parents aren't keen

Post by jshrew Sun Feb 02 2014, 18:16

Coming towards the end of the current stock of kibble and Ledger has been turning his nose up at it so looking into other options. I like the idea of Raw if I can get my head round what to do when. He can have a drawer in the freezer (got a fair few butchers bones and stuffed kongs in there already) so I can start to source maybe at least the first two weeks food maybe?

I'm just a bit confused as to how much to feed him (20kg) and do people feed in one or two meals?

Anyway I'm good to go I think if I can find some supplies the issue is Ledger is looked after by my parents when I'm at work and they are really not liking the idea (today I had the "Lucky is thriving on butchers tinned food" speech, Ai that's why at 14 she is always wired, on the additives) anyone else have any issues with persuading family and or how would it fare if he had kibble with them (4 meals a week)

jshrew
jshrew
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ledger and Maple
Dog(s) Ages : 7 and 2
Dog Gender(s) : Male and Female
Support total : 209

Back to top Go down

Looking to go raw, but parents aren't keen Empty Re: Looking to go raw, but parents aren't keen

Post by Sazzle Sun Feb 02 2014, 18:21

I feed two meals a day, the guideline is 2/3 % of body weight, although I've never weighed anything!

My parents also are not keen and Daisy spends a lot of time there. I just send her over with mince rather than bones so she can eat from her bowl the same as mums dogs and she has her meat on the bone here  Big Grin 
Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Looking to go raw, but parents aren't keen Empty Re: Looking to go raw, but parents aren't keen

Post by Kathy Sun Feb 02 2014, 18:27

If you are to be freezing it anyway, is there anyway you could bag it up/seal it and send it with Ledger when he is staying with them ?
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 02 2014, 18:28

I feed Darcy raw Hun and twice a day too, she's thriving on it, the rule of thumb is 2-3% of their body weight. 2% of 20kg is 400 grams and 3% of 20kg is 600 grams so somewhere inbetween twice a day Hun xx

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 02 2014, 18:28

Oh and have a look at this too it help me loads and auntie Ella is amazing with info and help xx

http://preymodelraw.com/page/articles.html/_/raw-chat/how-to-get-started-feeding-a-prey-model-raw-diet-r19

Back to top Go down

Post by jshrew Sun Feb 02 2014, 18:40

So the body weight% is per meal ok. Working my way through the links but one leads to another etc and I'm taking on more info than I need to I think to start. Pulling it back to keep it simple for the first few weeks poultry only

I'm hoping that if it stops him farting then I might win them over Big Grin mums reaction was "I've not got to put his food in my fridge do I?" that's easily solved with a small insulated lunch bag stuffed with ice packs if it will be a few hours til feeding time

Does anyone use the natures diet turkey mince from P@H 95p for 400g not the cheapest but that seems quite convenient for a start unless there are any better suggestions
jshrew
jshrew

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Sun Feb 02 2014, 18:47

Per day not per meal  Smile 
Sazzle
Sazzle

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by jshrew Sun Feb 02 2014, 19:41

Ah see told you I was confused
jshrew
jshrew

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 02 2014, 19:46

Lol no probs, if ledgers daily amount is 600g then just split it 300g am & Pm xx

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 02 2014, 19:46

But like saz Hun I don't weigh anything just go off how Darcy looks xx

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 02 2014, 20:29

I don't go by % and i feed once a day, so much easier IMO

However to start with go with 2% of his body weight PER day, as over feeding can cause runny tums in the beginning and then go by the body condition of him, rather then % and strict ratios

Back to top Go down

Post by jshrew Sun Feb 02 2014, 20:44

Ok that sounds simple enough will pickup some packs of the mince from p@h and see how we get on from that been checking out the DAF site for stocking up but will see if I can source anything local
jshrew
jshrew

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 02 2014, 20:50

don't forget to take it slowly and start with chicken only and add new meats in at intervals!

Back to top Go down

Post by jshrew Sun Feb 02 2014, 20:56

Yep do you suggest using up all the kibble first and then starting or say doing one meal of each a day
jshrew
jshrew

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 02 2014, 21:00

I'd use up the kibble or give the rest to a rescue center, as i recommend stopping kibble all together and straight onto raw, as IME it's easier on their bellies

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 02 2014, 21:19

Once I'd made the decision I donated the kibble to a rescue started the next day and Haven't looked back xx

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Sun Feb 02 2014, 21:20

i couldn't feed my dogs raw becasue im an clean freak but i wouldn't try to put someone off who want too

Steve

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jshrew Sun Feb 02 2014, 21:43

Hmm well not got much kibble left might have a battle converting the parents so can ship what I've got left over there will only be a couple of meals a week not ideal but maybe a means to an end short term until I can talk them round. (thought my dad would be more likely to go for it but it seems not)
jshrew
jshrew

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by jshrew Sun Feb 02 2014, 21:47

Steve wrote:i couldn't feed my dogs raw becasue im an clean freak but i wouldn't try to put someone off who want too

Ledger has butcher bones as treats already he has them in the yard in the summer or on his towel inside not that there is ever anything left lol

Was tempted by the half pigs heads at the butcher freebie pot the other week but got a big carrier bag of bones which was strange enough to walk through the town with haha
jshrew
jshrew

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 02 2014, 23:06

Steve wrote:i couldn't feed my dogs raw becasue im an clean freak but i wouldn't try to put someone off who want too

Raw is no messier then kibble, and dry food is covered in just as much if not more bacteria!

Back to top Go down

Post by Bane Mon Feb 03 2014, 09:37

If you didn't want to go for the pets at home minces, you could try and ask at the butchers? We stopped in the other day and they said that they make a raw minced dog food...not sure what the ratios of bone etc would be for those though and if all butchers do it. Love that yours has a freebie pot!
I agree with Ella it is no messier than kibble Smile And if you started with minces and chicken drummers/necks etc. it would be no different to mince or chicken that your parents would prepare for themselves for dinner (Unless they are vegetarians) and all they have to do is put it in a bowl and give it to him Smile I hope it goes well for you! Bane goes nuts for raw food so hopefully it will bring back Ledgers love for food!
Bane
Bane

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bane
Dog(s) Ages : 13th August 2013
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 332

Back to top Go down

Post by jshrew Mon Feb 03 2014, 12:26

Well he had some kibble this morning and promptly threw up so decision made. never even noticed the two big freezers in p@h before picked up some of the small packs of chicken mince so defrosting ready for his tea Smile
jshrew
jshrew

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Mon Feb 03 2014, 17:15

Ooh hope it goes well. Let us know xx
Sazzle
Sazzle

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by jshrew Mon Feb 03 2014, 17:28

Well it's much nicer than serving up my parents dogs tinned food Smile 200g seems such a small amount but guess that's cause we are used to filling the bowl with kibble. He seems quite happy with it tho isn't looking for more food (despite being ill this morning) he's gone up to bed Smile 
jshrew
jshrew

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Bane Mon Feb 03 2014, 18:08

Ooo I hope he likes it and hope his tummy settles Smile
Bane
Bane

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Mon Feb 03 2014, 18:37

You get used to feeding less, it is strange at first! Glad it went down OK, hopefully will stay down xx
Sazzle
Sazzle

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by jshrew Mon Feb 03 2014, 21:51

All good, he's not been icky and seeming quite content not pestering for more to eat (aside from looking longingly at the banana bread I made) looking forward to him eating breakfast

And going to have an ask around the butchers in the market (3/4 options) to see what I can get long term, also the Caribbean shop do chicken feet for something a bit different this week
jshrew
jshrew

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by goldie87 Tue Feb 04 2014, 09:03

jshrew wrote:Does anyone use the natures diet turkey mince from P@H 95p for 400g not the cheapest but that seems quite convenient for a start unless there are any better suggestions

Yep, I've just swapped Zeus over to raw about a week ago and have started to use Nature's menu frozen turkey mince, along with the fruit/veg frozen cubes they do. Much easier, just defrost over night and feed in the morning. Since hes been on it, he poo's a max of 2 a day (instead of 4/5 on kibble), he hasn't farted (or atleast I can't smell them anymore) and he eats his food straight away instead of picking his nose up at kibble. I'd deffo give it a go, commercial dog food smells when you serve it, but none of this smells at all.
goldie87
goldie87

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Zeus
Dog(s) Ages : 12
Support total : 164

Back to top Go down

Post by Bane Tue Feb 04 2014, 11:13

Urgh ye I used to have super stinky hands after giving Bane his kibble! D:

Good luck with the butchers trip Smile Jealous of your chicken feet find Tongues
Bane
Bane

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by jshrew Tue Feb 04 2014, 12:38

Ah they are not so cheap but it's a back up if needed

I asked at the butchers and got this which was destined for the bin

Looking to go raw, but parents aren't keen IMAG0675_zpsy4qwiknu

Split down into 8 portions of about 150-200g and he now has his own drawer in the freezer lol
jshrew
jshrew

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Tue Feb 04 2014, 13:21

Cool  Big Grin
Sazzle
Sazzle

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 04 2014, 16:24

nom nom!

Back to top Go down

Post by jshrew Tue Feb 04 2014, 16:49

Quite exciting isn't it Big Grin

Should I give him his garlic sausage as training treat for agility tonight or would it be better to cook off a frozen chicken breast
jshrew
jshrew

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 04 2014, 18:19

he should be ok with his normal treats Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Tue Feb 04 2014, 19:53

Its really exciting! And I'm veggie!

Good luck at training x
Sazzle
Sazzle

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Bane Tue Feb 04 2014, 19:54

Oooh nice find! That's the kind of stuff I was hoping to find but the butchers just looked at me blankly and said "we have trotters" Laughing
Bet Ledger is gonna love that Smile
Bane
Bane

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by jshrew Thu Feb 06 2014, 22:14

Well day 1 at my parents I've got a little thermal bag and took over a portion of the chicken mince

Dad seemed to be positive he just commented on how quickly it's gone from the bowl (more so I guess as their dog Lucky is definitely alpha and if she puts her nose near where Ledger eats he steps back) got a pack of frozen chicken breast portions so might pop a couple of those in the bag for tomorrow as he will have both meals there as I'm on an 11hr shift Sad
jshrew
jshrew

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Fri Feb 07 2014, 08:54

Thats what I do when Daisy is at my parents, send her over with food in plastic tubs! They have other dogs so its not ideal to send anything on the bone so she juts has that when she's at home.
Sazzle
Sazzle

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down