+3
Bruno311210
janey
burties35
7 posters

Go down

Been to the vets again :( Empty Been to the vets again :(

Post by Guest Tue May 17 2011, 14:37

Well, I had Roxy to the vets again this arvo ( I feel like i've been there a bit lately between Roxy and my cat Tom )

Saturday morning Roxy seemed to be coughing a fair bit but I put it down to her pulling so much on the leash at dog training class. The coughing has continued since then along with snorting and like a reverse sneeze. I then began to worry she had swallowed something and got it lodged in her throat. This morning her eyes were a bit mucky (again.........she has had trouble with conjunctivitis on and off since I got her, the vet seems to think it's due to allergies) so I took her to the vets after work today and he said it sounds like "Kennel Cough"
My poor baby Sad
She is fully vaccinated but apparently they can still get it when vaccinated which I never knew before.

The vet gave her a jab in her backside and we have antibiotics to give her too. We also got another tube of ointment for her eyes.

Hopefully the cough gets better soon. My vet said it usually takes around 2 weeks to clear, so we've got to keep away from other dogs 'til then.

The good thing is, it has not affected her appetite or energy levels at all. She's still her normal self in that respect.....it's just the hacking cough.

Will keep you posted

Back to top Go down

Been to the vets again :( Empty Re: Been to the vets again :(

Post by burties35 Tue May 17 2011, 14:54

Oh poor Roxy hope the cough clears soon. x
burties35
burties35
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Been to the vets again :( Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Bodhi
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Tue May 17 2011, 15:32

Poor Roxy! It always feels like one thing after another. Hope she gets better soon Smile
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 17 2011, 15:35

poor roxy, big hugs from me

>Big Grin<

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 17 2011, 16:25

Oh poor Roxy, hope the AB's start working soon and she stops coughing. No puppy training, the cat will love having all the attention Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Bruno311210 Tue May 17 2011, 17:38

awww bless Roxy, hugs from me and cuddles and licks from Bruno Smile
Bruno311210
Bruno311210

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Bruno
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by Blade2008 Tue May 17 2011, 20:14

Aw i hope she gets better very soon Smile
Blade2008
Blade2008
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Blade
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by youngkaiser Tue May 17 2011, 21:58

Aww poor roxy hope she gets better soon
youngkaiser
youngkaiser

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Kaiser
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 22

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 17 2011, 22:35

Oh, poor Roxy!

That's the trouble with Kennel Cough, the vaccine doesn't always cover it, like the flu jab, I suppose. The good thing is if she's had the jab then she shouldn't get KC as badly as if she hadn't!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 18 2011, 00:41

Thanks everybody for you concern and well wishes.

Yes Caryll....that's what the vet said too, the vaccine does'nt completely cover them but if they do get it then it's not as bad.

LOL......I was gonna say I'm glad she's still bright eyed and bushy-tailed but that would be a lie. Her eyes are mucky from the conjunctivitis and coz she's a Staffy there's no chance of a bushy tail.....LOL Laughing

Glad she's still Bright and energetic within herself. Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Wed May 18 2011, 00:45

She'll be back to her own self in know time x
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Nosipho Wed May 18 2011, 11:47

Bloody Kennel Cough! she must have picked it up from puppy training. I use kids benelyn when my girls get it and keep them warm and rested, but sounds like the vet has armed you with tons of meds so you probbaly wont need it!
Nosipho
Nosipho

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Skibadee, Tali, Kali-Mist, Nugget and Meg
Dog(s) Ages : 25/8/2005 - 01/10/2008 - 01/08/2012 - 23/10/2013992
Dog Gender(s) : All Girlies
Support total : 191

http://www.nosiphostaffords.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 18 2011, 12:10

Loopy wrote:
LOL......I was gonna say I'm glad she's still bright eyed and bushy-tailed but that would be a lie. Her eyes are mucky from the conjunctivitis and coz she's a Staffy there's no chance of a bushy tail.....LOL Laughing

Laughing Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 18 2011, 12:38

arrgggg KC is sooo annoying, im dreading my 2 getting it, they are both going to kennels for 9 days tomorrow. They have had vac but like u have experienced is doesnt protect them completley x poor roxy hope she feels better soon x

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 19 2011, 15:54

Hmmm, now to keep her entertained and burn off some of that energy without actually leaving the house or yard. I might have to buy some peanut butter oor cheese spread for her kong to help occupy her while she's confined to our property.
She is only coughing occasionally now so the anti-biotics must be starting to do there stuff thumbs up

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Thu May 19 2011, 18:49

Pleased to hear it but know the frustration of being resricted to walks, or no walks in your case! She'll be better soon x x
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 20 2011, 04:44

Loopy wrote:Hmmm, now to keep her entertained and burn off some of that energy without actually leaving the house or yard. I might have to buy some peanut butter oor cheese spread for her kong to help occupy her while she's confined to our property.
She is only coughing occasionally now so the anti-biotics must be starting to do there stuff thumbs up

Not sure where you are Lisa, but it's been raining pretty solid here most of the morning, hope the weather improves so she can run around outside. (Even though I know we need the rain).

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 20 2011, 07:09

Dogalogs88 wrote:
Loopy wrote:Hmmm, now to keep her entertained and burn off some of that energy without actually leaving the house or yard. I might have to buy some peanut butter oor cheese spread for her kong to help occupy her while she's confined to our property.

Not sure where you are Lisa, but it's been raining pretty solid here most of the morning, hope the weather improves so she can run around outside. (Even though I know we need the rain).

Lee,
I live in Byford. We had heaps of rain this morning (and I got caught in the weather on my way to work) but this afternoon is not too wet "YET" It looks like it could bucket down soon, but just drizzling on and off for now.
Where-abouts are you ??? You're North of the river are'nt you?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 20 2011, 08:07

hope dear little Roxy is on the road to recovery! Do you go to Byford Vets?? They were good when I had my old pussycat and doggie years ago. Probably all new people now anyway.

We got heaps of rain here in Waroona.. thank goodness... Jethro has hardly left the sofa all day. Luckily we have a back verandah so Winston has been herbing around under it with all his toys.. when he isn't curled up asleep. He did a big poo on the back door mat because he obviously didn't want to get wet going to the loo... lucky I didn't tread in it !! Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 20 2011, 10:01

vanessa wrote:

hope dear little Roxy is on the road to recovery! Do you go to Byford Vets?? They were good when I had my old pussycat and doggie years ago. Probably all new people now anyway.

We got heaps of rain here in Waroona.. thank goodness... Jethro has hardly left the sofa all day. Luckily we have a back verandah so Winston has been herbing around under it with all his toys.. when he isn't curled up asleep. He did a big poo on the back door mat because he obviously didn't want to get wet going to the loo... lucky I didn't tread in it !! Laughing

Hi Vanessa,

Nope don't go to Byford Vets. I drive to Hanley Vets in Maddington. Have gone there ever since I got my cat Tom from the Animal Protection Society. When I got him he had the Cat Flu and they referred me to Hanley Vet as the cost of treatment was included in my purchase price, as was his first vaccination ( if anything happens in the first 2 or 3 weeks you are covered ) Also they offer 1/2 price sterilisations. I have been taking my animals there ever since and they have always made my animals better when they've been sick or injured Love Struck

You'll have to go and stand out in the rain with an umbrella over young Winston so he goes Poo's where he's s'posed to hee hee I can just picture you standing with two umbrellas.....one for you and one for the "baby"

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 20 2011, 11:05

Yes Hanley Vets are brilliant too .... have been there with some of my friends... That is like me, I drive all the way to Halls Head to go to the vets.. a long journey.. but I love Richard and Sebastian that work there. So important to find a decent vet, isn't it.
Yeah better get my brolly out !! hahah........
Give Roxy a cuddle... hope she's on the mend!! Love Struck

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 25 2011, 15:29

Just an update.

It's been a week since I had Roxy to the vet. She had her jab and has been on antibiotics twice daily.

Have'nt heard her coughing for the past couple of days thumbs up so now I'm going to start taking her out for walks again <:-P It has been rather at wits end not being able to take her out. She's gonna flip with excitement when I try to get her harness on her Laughing

I'm so glad my baby's feeling better

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 25 2011, 15:31

well done you and roxy, glad to see she is feeling better

Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Aniemother Wed May 25 2011, 15:36

Great news!
Aniemother
Aniemother

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Gaffa (SBT), Strips (BC) and Terex (AK)
Support total : 22

http://wrigglebutts.com

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Wed May 25 2011, 15:55

Yay!!!! thumbs up
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 25 2011, 16:03

yes I am happy for you too that Roxy is on the mend... and I am looking forward to seeing a photo of the pretty girl in her new harness !! Love Struck

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 26 2011, 15:13

Lisa I do apologise for not seeing this post a few days ago, doh
Glad Roxy is going to be "let out of confinement" to go walking again applause
We are actually at Thornile, so not that far away and I'm still looking for good exercise places for Izzy (not so much for my gentle old girl now), so if you can suggest anything down your way, I'm keen to check it out especially now Roxy is on the mend.
I've also noted both yours and Vanessa's recommendations for Hanley Vets as we have only recently moved to this area and haven't worked out where to take the girls. We were living in Lesmurdie and took them to a vet in Kalamunda for their immunisations in Feb, the vet was very good but I didn't feel the same rapport as I had with my vet in Adelaide where I'd taken Kita for the last 10 years.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 26 2011, 15:26

Dogalogs88 wrote:Lisa I do apologise for not seeing this post a few days ago, doh
Glad Roxy is going to be "let out of confinement" to go walking again applause
We are actually at Thornile, so not that far away and I'm still looking for good exercise places for Izzy (not so much for my gentle old girl now), so if you can suggest anything down your way, I'm keen to check it out especially now Roxy is on the mend.
I've also noted both yours and Vanessa's recommendations for Hanley Vets as we have only recently moved to this area and haven't worked out where to take the girls. We were living in Lesmurdie and took them to a vet in Kalamunda for their immunisations in Feb, the vet was very good but I didn't feel the same rapport as I had with my vet in Adelaide where I'd taken Kita for the last 10 years.

Oh, so you're only about 15 / 20 mins from me thumbs up .
Hanley Vet is nice and close for you now. They are not a big fancy Vet clinic but are very popular and have always done the best for my animals. Their prices are really quite reasonable too.

I too am still looking for good places to take Roxy for walks / exercise. We mainly walk around our neighbourhood......and when the weather was warmer I would take her to South Beach in Fremantle on the weekend (but it's getting a bit cooler now Sad ) Let me know if u find somewhere good nearby thumbs up

I took Roxy out tonight for her first walk since her solitary confinement Laughing and she loved it. Walked beautifully on her new harness.....much better than hearing the noises she would make when pulling on her collar.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 26 2011, 15:44

Loopy wrote:

I took Roxy out tonight for her first walk since her solitary confinement Laughing and she loved it. Walked beautifully on her new harness.....much better than hearing the noises she would make when pulling on her collar.

Oh wait till you hear mine, it's like a "freight train's acoming round the bend" rolling on the floor rolling on the floor rolling on the floor

We took the girls to South Beach around 4pm the day after Xmas day but there were so many dogs & people and it was really windy, so we abandoned it. We fall under Gosnells council, and I've checked out some of the "off lead" areas, but I'm still searching. Figure you've already seen these, but I'll add them anyway just in case.
http://www.vetwest.com.au/dog-friendly-parks-and-beaches-perth
http://www.gooddog.info/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down