New Pup Behaviour

+2
Bruno311210
NikkiArnie
6 posters

Go down

New Pup Behaviour Empty New Pup Behaviour

Post by NikkiArnie Wed May 11 2011, 22:58

Early days I know but Arnie seems to be very vocal and when being told off or when I try & take something he has hes not supposed to have he growls & has snapped 3 times since we had him. Ive told him no,removed him but he doesnt seem bothered.

Hes now taken to pooing on the stairs,which I think is attention as he does it outside all day until we are all busy.

Im not keen on this snapping & want to make sure I stop it as soon as possible,help please!!
Nikki x
NikkiArnie
NikkiArnie
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Arnie & Tess
Dog Gender(s) : Male & Female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

New Pup Behaviour Empty Re: New Pup Behaviour

Post by Guest Wed May 11 2011, 23:02

When Milly was younger and growled or snapped lI gave her a firm no and moved away from her everytime she did it and she soon stopped.

Back to top Go down

Post by NikkiArnie Wed May 11 2011, 23:07

Thats what Ive been doing so far,just never had a pup before & my dogs have never been snappy dogs. Hes a little sweetie & shares my bed and is my little shadow at the moment. Thanks :-)
NikkiArnie
NikkiArnie

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 11 2011, 23:10

Awwww he is still only a baby I am sure he will learn if you keep being persistant.

Back to top Go down

Post by NikkiArnie Wed May 11 2011, 23:14

Thanks,just wanted to hear someone else say what I was thinking lol,hes curled up waiting to go to bed now ;-)
NikkiArnie
NikkiArnie

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 11 2011, 23:21

It just takes them a bit of time to learn the 'rules'! As long as you're consistent he'll soon realise that he gets no interraction with you if he snaps etc.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 12 2011, 00:03

Vinnie was very snappy when he was a pup, the firm no's and time outs when they go too far work out in the end, he never snaps now, only on occasion when he gets TOO excited but he knows straight away crys and licks you.
Skye isn't snappy but she is very vocal! so we just say "CALM" and she's slowly getting it

Back to top Go down

Post by Bruno311210 Thu May 12 2011, 07:17

When we tell Bruno off, he kinda snap back you as if he's back chatting like a teenager would, but when he does this we just ignore him then he comes up to me and nudges my arm as if to say sorry but he is growing out of it Big Grin, your pup is young and i think if you keep up what your doing, he will stop Smile
Bruno311210
Bruno311210
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Bruno
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by NikkiArnie Thu May 12 2011, 22:02

Thanks everyone x
NikkiArnie
NikkiArnie

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by nick h Fri May 13 2011, 00:02

just another idea for you ,what we do is give jazz a firm no if she snapps or growls at us then we put her in her crate for 5 mins for a time out, it's really working for us.
nick h
nick h
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : jazz
Dog(s) Ages : 2yr 2 mnths
Dog Gender(s) : bitch
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by foxy.lee Fri May 13 2011, 00:03

nakita is the same and shes 7 weeks, i want it to stop cuz of the kids. i say a firm no and she has a cage which she goes in with no toys. i have even told guests/kids to tell her firmly no if she goes at them xx
foxy.lee
foxy.lee
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Nikita
Dog Gender(s) : female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 13 2011, 08:16

foxy.lee wrote:nakita is the same and shes 7 weeks, i want it to stop cuz of the kids. i say a firm no and she has a cage which she goes in with no toys. i have even told guests/kids to tell her firmly no if she goes at them xx

At 7 weeks shes still so tiny and probably scared lol Just be aware that if u are using her crate as a seclusion area/punishment she may not be as willing to use it so willingly when u want to put her in it when u go out, she might think she has been bad?! Just a thought x

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 13 2011, 08:24

tempting as it is i have never used his crate as a punishment for the very reasons above - woody does his time out in tbe garden with the doors shut until quiet

Back to top Go down

Post by NikkiArnie Fri May 13 2011, 10:07

He hasnt snapped for a couple of days,is very vocal and does growl but seems to be getting the hang of it lol,I dont use the crate for punishment as I crate him wen i go out or in the car. I pop him outside when hes naughty as he has also started pooing on the stairs so he goes outside and stays there for a few minutes. He is so beautiful! He had his first play date with another staffy and was brilliant,she was very patient with him and they both had a great time x
NikkiArnie
NikkiArnie

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by foxy.lee Fri May 13 2011, 12:21

blaze wrote:
foxy.lee wrote:nakita is the same and shes 7 weeks, i want it to stop cuz of the kids. i say a firm no and she has a cage which she goes in with no toys. i have even told guests/kids to tell her firmly no if she goes at them xx

At 7 weeks shes still so tiny and probably scared lol Just be aware that if u are using her crate as a seclusion area/punishment she may not be as willing to use it so willingly when u want to put her in it when u go out, she might think she has been bad?! Just a thought x

i never thought of that :/ shes so hyper i know its going to take a while for her to calm, the litter she was from were bigger than her and chunkier i think she got picked on a lot and now shes the 'bigger' dog here shes showing her authority lol
foxy.lee
foxy.lee

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Nikita
Dog Gender(s) : female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 13 2011, 12:31

Is it possible to put her in another room and shut the door while she calms down. or even as shes so little still just turning your back and ignoring her? To get the best out of the crate u really want to fill it wih blankets chews and toys and make it a fantastic place to be so she will almost look forward to going in it lol x

Back to top Go down

Post by Mooch12003 Fri May 13 2011, 12:32

NikkiArnie wrote:Early days I know but Arnie seems to be very vocal and when being told off or when I try & take something he has hes not supposed to have he growls & has snapped 3 times since we had him. Ive told him no,removed him but he doesnt seem bothered.

Milo is exactly the same, he is nearly 13 weeks old. Whenever he is told off he just shouts back at us and thinks its whole a big game, he has slowly started to come round but it is taking time. You just have to be persistant.

As for the pooing, you just need to keep a really close eye on them and look for the signs. Milo has this little wimper that he does and starts pacing, when he wants out for a wee. But when he wants to go do a poo, he raises his tail ever so slightly. Its all the little things that you need to pick up on.

He also has this thing where he tries to climb our living room radiator by the back window as my OH passed him out to me that way once when I was in the garden, oooppss!
Mooch12003
Mooch12003

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Milo & Rex
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by NikkiArnie Sat May 14 2011, 08:06

Milo sounds a character! Arnie seems to wee n poo as soon as he wakes and within a few minutes after eating,the others i just get a feeling n follow him lol,gonna get a stair gate so he cannot be upstairs without me knowing now he can get up the stairs and the bonus is that im laminated all throughout downstairs!!
its a good job i love my little man so much x
NikkiArnie
NikkiArnie

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Bruno311210 Sat May 14 2011, 08:26

Bruno used go to the toliet within minutes of waking or eating, mind at 10 weeks their tummy/bladder are only little, i think they can hold on 1 hour for every month since they were born.

Stairgate - will be fine while , Arnie is smallish. Bruno is now 19 weeks and is nearly able to jump the stairgate as he does try when the cat come down the stairs but lucky for us, our previous puppy which we had to get rid as attacked our daughter, he was border collie x lurcher not good comination and he was a puppy farm puppy so was not solicalize with human as such, well we had to buy the biggest gate argos had Laughing and lucky for us we haven't ebayed it as we were going to, so now we can use it for bruno :~)

Bruno311210
Bruno311210

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Bruno
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by gem Sat May 14 2011, 09:39

Be patient and consistent and they will learn they are babies and will learn your doing everything right Smile
gem
gem

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : duke
Dog Gender(s) : dog
Support total : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content