Might need another tooth out

4 posters

Go down

Might need another tooth out Empty Might need another tooth out

Post by jshrew Tue Nov 26 2013, 22:54

Ok a bit of history I rescued Ledger 2.5years ago and on arrival he was missing one canine tooth and two others were broken (half) dogs trust had no real history on him and could only assume that he had been stray at some point and had taken to eating stones

well about 18 months ago the big staffy grin showed me that one of the half teeth was going bad confirmed by the vet they removed it and one from the back that I hadn't spotted (bad mommy)

Well unlike my parents springer/collie Ledger has never had bad breath and he likes a good chew on bones/stag bar/rope toys and his teeth seem to stay clean. Well I guess it was inevitable but the second half tooth I noticed today has gone off white Sad I'm booked in at the vet to have it checked tomorrow before it gets infected or starts to cause any pain

Just wondering if it doesn't need to be removed what people suggest for prolonging the life of this half tooth and the others
jshrew
jshrew
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ledger and Maple
Dog(s) Ages : 7 and 2
Dog Gender(s) : Male and Female
Support total : 209

Back to top Go down

Might need another tooth out Empty Re: Might need another tooth out

Post by Sazzle Tue Nov 26 2013, 23:00

Other than what you said about chewing bones etc not really sure? I know there are teeth cleaning products you can buy to add to food but not sure how good they are?
Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 26 2013, 23:17

I used to brush Ebonys teeth when I first got her home since they were quit yellow and giving her bones ect really sorted that out. Charlie's teeth were a lot worse as they were cracked ect, I brushed his teeth lots when I first had him to make sure I got rid of all living bacteria ect, now he's fed on raw and gets a lot more bones I just brush his teeth 3 days a week which seems to keep everything in his mouth in order. I also had mouth wash and also bacteria removal wash from Pets At Home which you put in their water and it gets rid of bacteria prone to eroding their teeth and causing problems with the gums ect as well as cleaning hard to reach areas! I haven't used it since his teeth are all okay now but it really did get his mouth back up to scratch! Maybe try that? I can get the names of the things I put in the water for you and I'll get back to you tomorrow when I've checked if you're interested Big Grin

Good luck on finding something for him!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sara n Ozzy Tue Nov 26 2013, 23:33

Hi. I would be interested too, Ozzys teeth are grwat now and want to keep them this way also any tips would be appreciated x
Sara n Ozzy
Sara n Ozzy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ozzy
Dog(s) Ages : 6
Dog Gender(s) : Boy
Support total : 956

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 27 2013, 08:37

Aww no poor ledger hope you manage to get it sorted jules Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Wed Nov 27 2013, 08:49

Sorry to hear about Ledger teeth, what do you feed him as a good diet will look after his teeth too.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by jshrew Wed Nov 27 2013, 10:41

He is on Pero and is doing really well on it, I keep considering raw but it's having the time and space to plan for it I think and as he is at my parents when I'm working it is easy to just give a sack of kibble to them. Thankfully it's only the teeth that were broken before I got him that have gone bad but will have a look out for the anti bacterial stuff we have to pass P@h on the way back from the vet
jshrew
jshrew

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by jshrew Wed Nov 27 2013, 15:52

Well it's good news for now. Vet says when a tooth is broken the dentene that forms to protect the centre of the tooth is easily discoloured and that's what I can see. as long as Ledgers breath is staying fresh and he is eating and in no obvious pain then removing it would just be unnecessary.

One of the practice vets is just back from a dental training course and reccomended a product called Logic gel it comes with a finger brush to be used daily but they also suggest putting it onto kibble if it's a complete no go with the brush. Seeing as they waived the vet fee I picked up a tube from there to also save shopping around

Well tried it when we got home and it was all good for the first application, will see how that continues

jshrew
jshrew

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down