+3
janey
Jellytot
Harry Halpin
7 posters

Go down

Worried  Empty Worried

Post by Harry Halpin Thu Nov 14 2013, 13:32

Well Harry is 11 months now and still pulling like a train on the lead and pulling to get to people. He just wants to say hello and most people give him a stroke but today someone said 'is he safe' arrggghh! I said he just wants fussing but the guy didn't seem impressed. I've tried a harness which he pulls harder on and we have a canny collar which i have tried but Harry doesn't like it at all and i feel unsafe like he could pull out of it. Also tried the stopping and turning and walking in the other direction but noting seems to work, then I get stressed! He is such a good boy i feel like i'm letting him down. Does anyone have any suggestions. He is not yet castrated and wondered if this would help as he seems to pull to the next place to sniff and scent and also yanks backwards/sideways when he gets a smell of something. I have owed a staff before (castrated at about 18 months) but he was quite a lot more laid back than Harry and did pull a bit but was quite happy to toddle along at the side of me. Any advice gratefully received!!
Harry Halpin
Harry Halpin
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Harry
Dog(s) Ages : 10 months
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Worried  Empty Re: Worried

Post by Jellytot Thu Nov 14 2013, 16:53

Ralph was like this. I just kept stopping when Ralph pulled, so he learnt that he wouldn't get anywhere fast, and when he was walking well next to me I'd reward with a treat... From memory, Ralph was a bit of a nightmare around that age - trying to see how far he could push me. Just be consistent!
Jellytot
Jellytot
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ralph
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Support total : 73

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 14 2013, 16:56

What have you actually done so far to stop him pulling?

Castration won't make the slightest difference by the way!Wink 

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Thu Nov 14 2013, 17:04

With Moo I found the sit method worked, if she pulled I make her sit, then start again, and carry on, takes a day and an age to get anywhere but worked for us and now, say she is roaming the beer garden off lead, if she wanders up to people I can literally say sit and she will......just takes patience and practice Xx
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Thu Nov 14 2013, 17:07

Personally I use a head collar as biscuit is strong on the lead and human and dog nervous aggressive.. So need full control! The problem is, when he's rushing up to people and they're fussing him it's becoming a very rewarding behaviour for him to keep carrying out, I'd politely ask people to ignore him when he does this, and then make yourself more interesting by giving an alternate command, such as sit, and then rewarding with treats and praise. How much does he get walked a day? And how much of this is on lead walking, as opposed to off lead?
Rachel33
Rachel33
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bug (Biscuit)
Dog(s) Ages : 7 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post by jmk Thu Nov 14 2013, 17:33

Ive not had Roxy out side yet only in the garden I take a banana with me and say walk nice and give her a bit of the Banana when she stops pulling. But it might not work outside with others about I dont know.
jmk
jmk
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Halpin Thu Nov 14 2013, 18:43

Just returned from another tug of war session, no really tried the stopping method and also turning and going in other direction and giving treats when he walks nicely it's like he has a 1 second memory and goes back to it. Think it is an age thing and he is seeing how far he can push me as he walks lovely for my hubby, although don't think he can pull him about as much as me! Thanks for all the replies, think consistency is the rule here and I will keep on with it and see how we go.
Harry Halpin
Harry Halpin

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Harry
Dog(s) Ages : 10 months
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by yeahbut Fri Nov 15 2013, 23:27

Consistency, yes, but just giving it time also helps. 11 months is very young. My dog was pulling all the time when I got him from the rescue, a bit older than your dog but not much. Consistent training did help but, if I'm honest, much of his improved behaviour came through doing nothing at all - just waiting, chilling out, giving time for him to sort himself out and calm down. Letting him run around off lead (when it's safe to do so), chasing after a ball, that all helps his on lead behaviour as well. He has a huge amount of energy - running around like a mad thing, it tires his body obviously, but it also relaxes his mind for when he has to be in more controlled situations.

yeahbut
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Worried  Top_ra10

Status Status :

Support total : 125

Back to top Go down

Post by jo garnett Sat Nov 16 2013, 08:53

My 2 pull like steam trains. Ezydog harnesses help a bit. Chloe not only pulls, she meanders about in front from left to right. Crying or Very sad 
jo garnett
jo garnett

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Lola and Chloe
Dog(s) Ages : both 3 years
Dog Gender(s) : Both female
Support total : 86

Back to top Go down