Yorkie attacked by 'staffies type ' dogs...

+10
Darylkstaffy
Jasminesmum
rescuestaffords
Debs01
DafnPuppet
Kathy
Sazzle
stella
Ben
Pebbles
14 posters

Go down

Yorkie attacked by 'staffies type ' dogs... Empty Yorkie attacked by 'staffies type ' dogs...

Post by Pebbles Mon Nov 11 2013, 21:16

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/10798794.Dog_savaged_in_city_park/?ref=mry

Saw this in the local paper. Sad  I feel so sorry for the little yorkie and the owner but part of me also thinks people shouldn't let such a tiny dog wander off towards other dogs unchecked. I never let Pebbles out of my sight when she is off the lead in case she goes towards unfriendly dogs.

Pebbles
Pebbles
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Pebbles
Dog(s) Ages : 20 weeks
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Yorkie attacked by 'staffies type ' dogs... Empty Re: Yorkie attacked by 'staffies type ' dogs...

Post by Ben Tue Nov 12 2013, 02:06

You know, it is as much the ladies fault as anyones. If she had been more responsible, her dog wouldn't have died. I think she should be the one feeling guilty. She didn't do her job. Still sad that a dog lost their life, but honestly isn't that surprising.
Ben
Ben
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Frosty, Piglette
Dog(s) Ages : 3, 5
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 325

Back to top Go down

Yorkie attacked by 'staffies type ' dogs... Empty Re: Yorkie attacked by 'staffies type ' dogs...

Post by stella Tue Nov 12 2013, 07:05

very sad story,poor little dog Sad 
stella
stella
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : sasha
Dog(s) Ages : 15years RIP
Support total : 1747

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Tue Nov 12 2013, 08:49

So Sad Sad
Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 12 2013, 09:31

Very sad Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Tue Nov 12 2013, 11:48

It's very sad this lady has lost her dog. Dog owners must be aware of their surroundings at all times especially when letting your dog off lead and approach other dogs alone.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by DafnPuppet Tue Nov 12 2013, 12:21

As sad as this is for the lady and her unfortunate dog, this could have been prevented so easily by simply keeping her dog on a lead, particularly when meeting unfamiliar furballs.
Ozzie has been introduced to my neighbour's 3 dogs on 4 seperate occasions while everyone was on their leads. Yesterday he was allowed to play with each one off lead for about 5 mins before returning back to his lead to calm down a little. The whole exercise took about an hour and we will repeat it twice more before trusting them to play together.
It's about responsible ownership in the end. If the dog doesn't know instinctively how to behave around other animals, it is the responsibility of the owner to teach it.
DafnPuppet
DafnPuppet
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Ozzie
Dog(s) Ages : 18 Months
Dog Gender(s) : Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Debs01 Tue Nov 12 2013, 12:41

Poor dog Sad I know this will sound cold but I'm sick and tired of irresponsible dog owners letting their dogs run up to unfamiliar dogs and expecting a good outcome every time.

I am constantly body blocking dogs that run up to Axl when he's on a lead and the owners don't even call them half the time.

Something needs to be done to educate owners on how to be responsible dog owners at the end of the day.

Sorry, I find it difficult to find any kind of empathy with owners like these, it's always the same old story "he only wanted to play" and its not good enough. A poor dog has lost its life because of an irresponsible owner yet again when it could have been easily avoided.
Debs01
Debs01
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Axl
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Support total : 189

Back to top Go down

Post by Pebbles Tue Nov 12 2013, 15:07

Indeed i agree with your views that the yorkie owner is just as much at fault for letting her little dog run off unsupervised. Sadly for her pooch the two staffies type dogs were not of the friendly type.
I think both owners were at fault here for not being careful enough.
But it's yet another bad staffy story to be published Sad 
Pebbles
Pebbles

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Pebbles
Dog(s) Ages : 20 weeks

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 12 2013, 15:11

Owner is totally at fault here. I would not let a small dog go up to ANY dog esp not one that i know has a high drive. Yorkies are not dogs they are rats with collars, irresistable to a hunter really.

Back to top Go down

Post by rescuestaffords Tue Nov 12 2013, 18:45

Staffordshire Bull Terrier TYPE - not a stafford and some crossbreed...

rescuestaffords
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Yorkie attacked by 'staffies type ' dogs... Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 47

Back to top Go down

Post by Jasminesmum Tue Nov 12 2013, 21:40

rescuestaffords wrote:Staffordshire Bull Terrier TYPE - not a stafford and some crossbreed...
Exactly……….I sometimes walk Jasmine in this park, as it is local to me in Southampton. It is a MASSIVE park, very open. I would not let Jasmine off here, as there is simply too much distraction, and I too am fed up with random dogs jumping all over Jasmine when she is on her lead. I learned my lesson when she was frightened by a DA rescue staffy. My fault as I let her off the lead and she made a bee line for him. I now keep her on an extendable, until her recall is 100% (if ever!)

Jasmine was attacked quite viciously by a Yorkie off lead yesterday whilst Jasmine was on lead. Don't think THAT would have made the Daily Echo! What an uproar if it had been my Yorkie that had been set upon savagely by an off lead staffy! Very sad for the little dog though:-(
Jasminesmum
Jasminesmum
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Engaged
Dogs Name(s) : Jasmine
Support total : 12

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 12 2013, 22:42

yep owner most definitely at fault, doesn't matter if he was a pup should never let them run up to on lead dogs!

Back to top Go down

Post by Darylkstaffy Wed Nov 13 2013, 00:36

i agree with ella 100%
Darylkstaffy
Darylkstaffy

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Lexy - Diesel - Cleo - Nico
Dog(s) Ages : 28months - 16 months - 17 Months - 6 Weeks
Dog Gender(s) : Female - Male - Female - Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathan Wed Nov 13 2013, 22:05

Sorry to sound like the a hole here but she did let her dog wander to unknown dogs. As sad as it is for her this is a classic case of rose tinted glasses and if the dog had been trampled by a horse because it was inquisitive it wouldnt have hit the news. Now she seems to want vengance because of her own lack of knowledge about dogs and her failings in looking after a puppy who doesnt know any better.
Nathan
Nathan

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Marley and Laska
Dog(s) Ages : 30/08/2011 Marley 03/05/12 Laska
Dog Gender(s) : Male Marley Female Laska
Support total : 626

Back to top Go down

Post by kozmos Wed Nov 13 2013, 23:58

when staffys 'attack' to cause harm ..
is it normal for them to ram their quarry ?
i was under the impression .. staffys would bite and 'rag' their target
( have only been around a few staffy's when walking 'Lady'
( a few months now .. no prior experience
have seen the staffys 'ram' .. but all seemingly in play .. not anger
also got the impression that 'ramming' be a consequence
of lousy braking technique by the staffys

~~~~~~~~~~~

i.e. from the news article ..
"The dogs were ramming him. The woman was trying to get her dog and to get Micky away, but she eventually picked him up and handed him to me.

“I knew he was in a bad way. He didn’t have any bite marks but he was in shock."
~~~~~~~~~

no bite marks?
yet the headline reads "mauled to death"
( or does been rammed .. equal being mauled ? )

whatever the case ..
no doubt sad story about the little pup ..

~~~~~~~~~~~
kozmos
kozmos

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Lady
Support total : 49

Back to top Go down

Post by Steviec Thu Nov 14 2013, 09:07

Debs01 wrote:Poor dog :(I know this will sound cold but I'm sick and tired of irresponsible dog owners letting their dogs run up to unfamiliar dogs and expecting a good outcome every time.

I am constantly body blocking dogs that run up to Axl when he's on a lead and the owners don't even call them half the time.

Something needs to be done to educate owners on how to be responsible dog owners at the end of the day.

Sorry, I find it difficult to find any kind of empathy with owners like these, it's always the same old story "he only wanted to play" and its not good enough.  A poor dog has lost its life because of an irresponsible owner yet again when it could have been easily avoided.
couldn't have put it better myself!! Well said.

too many times have people let their dogs run up to mine and expect everything will be ok, i'm sure they would be the first to moan if something happened. this really annoys me.
Steviec
Steviec

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Cassius
Dog(s) Ages : Born 24/5/2012
Support total : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Thu Nov 14 2013, 10:46

Poor lady, and poor dog Sad But yes, gotta say, highly irresponsible. There's a guy that walks in the same fields as me who has let his two spaniels run at Biscuit and harass her 5 times now, despite me telling him each time that she's very nervous with unknown dogs and can be unreliable with her actions. She's actually starting to get to know them a little now, but what if she had reacted? In the media's eyes she'd be the devil dog, yet she's on lead under my control. People drive me mad!!!
Rachel33
Rachel33

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Bug (Biscuit)
Dog(s) Ages : 7 ish
Support total : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down