How to find the right Staff

5 posters

Go down

How to find the right Staff Empty How to find the right Staff

Post by Bob R Fri Oct 04 2013, 15:22

I joined today for advice and tips on looking for a Staff.
I lost my Staff [Zac] 2 months ago and it broke my heart. He was my best pal, typical loving and loyal boy he will be forever miised.
I was very niaeve [spelling] when I bought him at 6 months old and I suppose anything could have been wrong with him but thankfully he was a real gem.
Looking around the classifieds on the net it appears to be a mind field. Loads of breeders spouting the same jagon, same phrases, and some of the photos's of the parents appear to be duplicates and not original.
I have realised that there is huge money to be made looking at the prices of pups [£800] and no doubt there are greedy people that will lie to make cash.
I am concerned of buying a X breed, or one that is Dilute and I dont want to buy from someone that isnt an Staffy lover so How do I choose the right breeder? I'm not too concerned on colour but I do prefer a Staff that is short legged, stocky and broad built.
I have read plenty on the subject but still I am aprehensive.
Any advice appeciated.
Bob R
Bob R
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky - [pup]
Dog(s) Ages : Zac-15yrs RIP [avatar]
Dog Gender(s) : M
Support total : 9

Back to top Go down

How to find the right Staff Empty Re: How to find the right Staff

Post by Bob R Fri Oct 04 2013, 15:26

One website that keeps cropping up in the classifieds is

WEBSITE REMOVED
Is this website any good or is it hit and miss?

Last edited by Darcy-may on Fri Oct 04 2013, 16:03; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Sorry we don't endorse the use of this website.)
Bob R
Bob R

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 04 2013, 16:15

Hi bob, I'm so sorry for you loss, zac sounds like a real sweat boy Sad
I'd steer clear of the site you mention as it's full of back yard breeders ie- unregistered pets mating and producing unregistered pups, http://staffy-bull-terrier.com/how_to_recognize_a_back_yard_breeder have a look on champ dogs, It will show you litters expected hopefully close to you or a future mating. It'll will also tell you if parents are health tested, for hereditary diseases. Have read through this :- http://staffy-bull-terrier.com/l-2-hga And this :- http://staffy-bull-terrier.com/hereditary_cataract also avoid bluexblue mating as pups can develope CDA (colour dilution alopecia) https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/t17716-colour-dilution-alopecia Have you not thought about rescuing? There are lots of SBT's in rescue centres looking for a forever home.

Now I'm sure I've given you lots to read, hope I haven't overloaded your brain Laughing any questions, just ask.

Back to top Go down

Post by Staffy lover Fri Oct 04 2013, 18:45

And great advice too from this forum, I would be just lost without it. And if you dont mind me saying so, theres so many resuce staffies crying out for a home too, but each to his own....... Smile 
Staffy lover
Staffy lover
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Pixee
Dog(s) Ages : 4 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 214

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob R Fri Oct 04 2013, 18:53

Darcy-may wrote:Hi bob, I'm so sorry for you loss, zac sounds like a real sweat boy Sad
I'd steer clear of the site you mention as it's full of back yard breeders ie- unregistered pets mating and producing unregistered pups, http://staffy-bull-terrier.com/how_to_recognize_a_back_yard_breeder have a look on champ dogs, It will show you litters expected hopefully close to you or a future mating. It'll will also tell you if parents are health tested, for hereditary diseases. Have read through this :- http://staffy-bull-terrier.com/l-2-hga And this :- http://staffy-bull-terrier.com/hereditary_cataract  also avoid bluexblue mating as pups can develope CDA (colour dilution alopecia) https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/t17716-colour-dilution-alopecia  Have you not thought about rescuing? There are lots of SBT's in rescue centres looking for a forever home.

Now I'm sure I've given you lots to read, hope I haven't overloaded your brain :lol:any questions, just ask.
Appologies for mentioning that site. I will steer clear.
I have already read up lots of infor about hereditary diseases and the dilution issues, but what confuses me is it only appears to raise an issue with Blue - Blue Staffs. There are several Red-Red Staffs being bred on 'Champ dogs'. Is it acceptable to breed other same coloured Staffs?
Bob R
Bob R

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 04 2013, 18:55

Blue is a dilute colour so 2 Blues = trouble or more likely trouble , this is because Blue is a dilut colour , Red is not

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob R Fri Oct 04 2013, 18:57

Staffy lover wrote:And great advice too from this forum, I would be just lost without it.  And if you dont mind me saying so, theres so many resuce staffies crying out for a home too, but each to his own....... Smile 
I have been to a local Dogs Home which did have plenty of Staffs but none seemed right for me.
Also I have 2 children and there would be a trust issue with an adult dog so I think a pup is the best way to go.
Bob R
Bob R

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob R Fri Oct 04 2013, 18:59

Dave wrote:Blue is a dilute colour so 2 Blues = trouble or more likely trouble , this is because Blue is a dilut colour , Red is not
Cheers Dave.
Bob R
Bob R

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 04 2013, 19:00

The only other colour to watch for really than 2 Blues together is 2 pure whites due to risk of deafness

Back to top Go down

Post by Staffy lover Fri Oct 04 2013, 19:07

Bob R wrote:
Staffy lover wrote:And great advice too from this forum, I would be just lost without it.  And if you dont mind me saying so, theres so many resuce staffies crying out for a home too, but each to his own....... Smile 
I have been to a local Dogs Home which did have plenty of Staffs but none seemed right for me.
Also I have 2 children and there would be a trust issue with an adult dog so I think a pup is the best way to go.
That I totally understand, staffies are well known as they were nanny dogs and still are to this date. You should be allowed to see if any resuce dog does suit your home and small children before you think of taking them on. My Pixee does not trust strange men, to be fair when we had her she trusted no one, but she loves children we have found, and to this date, she has started to trust more strangers mostly men, but when she is with me, she does look after me and will growl at any strange men, put the same strange men with my hubby, she is fine. She is a rescue dog. So when out walking I always warn the men that want to fuss her and they are fine, the worse she does is bark, and as you know they are very vocal!!"!!
Staffy lover
Staffy lover

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Pixee
Dog(s) Ages : 4 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 214

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Fri Oct 04 2013, 19:07

Some resues don't overly advertise when they have pups in, also there are loads that are 6months+ very easy to train.

Good luck with your search Smile Xx
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Fri Oct 04 2013, 19:21

I would also see about a rescue dog first, if this is not an option try the Kennel club for advice about breeders.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Keith Sat Oct 05 2013, 01:51

Hey Bob,

So sorry to hear of your loss. I was at the same place last year. Sad

What I will say is please do consider a rescue dog - I got into fostering them when my dog had to be put to sleep - and haven't had a duff one yet (13, and counting in a year).

There are very often staff pups at the rescues - the one I volunteer for has several in now/had several in recently - and they're all usually pretty well-adjusted and well-mannered. Just unwanted.
Keith
Keith

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Wingo and Captain Weemo
Dog(s) Ages : Probably about four and, er, ten maybe?
Dog Gender(s) : one of each
Support total : 181

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob R Sun Oct 06 2013, 15:32

Thanks for the support etc but I have considered a rescue dog and as I have said already I cant trust an adult dog around my kids. Also the wife isnt a real dog lover as I am, so the bond wouldnt be there for her with an adult dog whereas i'm sure she would love a pup.
Bob R
Bob R

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down