Pollen allergy treatments?

3 posters

Go down

Pollen allergy treatments? Empty Pollen allergy treatments?

Post by Nicky86 Sun Sep 19 2010, 01:30

Hi,

Bit of a long post, so I apologise in advance.

Penny has had itchy ears on and off since she was a pup. Took her to the vets each time, given drops, cleared up, but this summer it has started with her paws too, licking and chewing at them. (Poor thing, I felt so sorry for her). Anyways, back to the vets who prescribed antihistamines which she has been on for around a month twice a day. The vet says because it is seasonal she thinks it is pollen causing it, to try anti histamines and if they dont work she suggested that Penny may need to be tested to see exactly what the allergy is, and may need injections to de sensitise her to the allergen. These would be every other day at first, then a couple of times a week, etc until it is once a month, but it is a long process apparently.

I was wondering if anyone had a similar experience, or had been through this injection thing? It is now late september and if I leave the antihistamines off, it starts again. Wasn't aware of pollen this late and with the rain we've had. Vet also said it can start as seasonal then they become more sensitive and it is more frequent/all the time.

My other question was what other options are there? I think she'd lick any sort of creams/lotion off her feet, and the 'lampshade' is not someting that she takes well to.

Although I imagine it will be expensive, the cost is not the issue, have insurance and would find the money if we need to. The problem is that Penny hates going to the vet, she gets quite distressed and scared, and I hate to think that she would have to go through it every other day.

If anyone has done the injection thing, is there any chance I could administer the injections at home that you know of? I am used to giving injections, but to people rather than animals.

Thank you. Hoping it makes sense as it is the middle of the night!

Nicky86
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Penny
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Pollen allergy treatments? Empty Re: Pollen allergy treatments?

Post by Guest Sun Sep 19 2010, 02:14

Hi have no experance of this myself but sound simular to the problems a freind of mine had with his boxer about 5 year back and he used nasal spray and a cooling mist on his feet(just a spray bottle with water init)and im not sure of the implacations of adminasaring jabs yourself

Back to top Go down

Post by youngkaiser Mon Sep 20 2010, 12:49

My ex bf rescued a dog many years back which had hayfever and was allergic to dust mites they had him tested to find out what it was because the vets kept giving them stuff which wasnt working i know in the end the dog had to have injections for it every 6 months but im sure they had to get it imported from america im not sure if the injection was for the dust mite allergy or pollen though to be honest. The dogs ears use to be red and lumpy and he wouldnt stop scratching them is tghis what your dogs is like
youngkaiser
youngkaiser
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Kaiser
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 22

Back to top Go down

Post by daisyszoo Mon Sep 20 2010, 12:52

Olive suffers from a large number of allergies, pollen being one of course. We never had any luck with antihistamine pills at all and our vet said the injections could take months to be effective. Olive takes prednisone for two weeks at a time here and there to help control her. I know some staffies do not react well to steroids but it has been a lifesaver for her. And like I said...she has more allergies then just pollen too Sad

daisyszoo
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Olive
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 20 2010, 21:43

i think your vet would be the best judge on what treatment you should get for your dog

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down