Question about skin

2 posters

Go down

Question about skin Empty Question about skin

Post by bluelagoon Sat Apr 16 2011, 20:27

Hi i took clyde to the vets on wednesday to get wormed, while i was there i thought i would mention that he has had a few bald patches on his fur. I mentioned mites to him and he said because he had been wormed 4 weeks previous, mites would be unlikely. So clyde got prescribed Masaleb shampoo. I had a look at his baldy bits today and noticed to are a bit red. Sad So i was wondering if anyone has used masaleb shampoo on there dog before? and can i put anything on his iratated skin?
bluelagoon
bluelagoon
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Clyde and Bonnie
Dog(s) Ages : 2yo and 6mo
Dog Gender(s) : Male and female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Question about skin Empty Re: Question about skin

Post by Guest Sun Apr 17 2011, 00:38

I've never used it, so I can't help. But I'm pretty sure others on here have & they'll be able to help.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 17 2011, 04:52

bluelagoon wrote:Hi i took clyde to the vets on wednesday to get wormed, while i was there i thought i would mention that he has had a few bald patches on his fur. I mentioned mites to him and he said because he had been wormed 4 weeks previous, mites would be unlikely. So clyde got prescribed Masaleb shampoo. I had a look at his baldy bits today and noticed to are a bit red. Sad So i was wondering if anyone has used masaleb shampoo on there dog before? and can i put anything on his iratated skin?

Hi there,

Do you have Masaleb or Malaseb shampoo?

I use "Malaseb" shampoo on my Roxy (currently 17wks) as suggested by the vet. She used to scratch a LOT, which has now lessened slightly although she still does scratch. The hardest thing I find is leaving it on the skin for the suggested 10minutes. The active ingredients in the shampoo do there job during this time so it is important to give it the full 10 minutes. Roxy is still only a baby and dislikes baths, so I find this extremely difficult. All she wants to do is get out of the bath and play.

Good luck.

P.S - I had an animal behavourist to my home to help me deal with Roxys bitng/nipping/behaviour issues and he mentioned that the scratching could be related to anxiety issues. ( I am certainly not suggesting this is the case for all dogs but just adding it as a footnote )

Back to top Go down

Post by gem Sun Apr 17 2011, 09:35

Ive used malaseb on the dogs and the horses for loads of skin irritations and have been impressed by it and has always worked a treat.
You only need to wash the affected area so I usually just do it in the garden let um play then rinse off.
Whats worring me is that you have mentioned a few bald areas to which sounds like the mites .
I use it for say they have a itch, graze or irritation and start to scratch till its red inflamed sore anything else then I dont think it will cure.
You can buy it for just less then £10 at pet stores or on line and I have it as part of my doggy first aid box.
gem
gem
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : duke
Dog Gender(s) : dog
Support total : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by bluelagoon Sun Apr 17 2011, 13:06

@ loopy, good to hear you think its good Big Grin I have only bathed him once on wednesday, gave him 20 mins because he was due to be wormed. Vet said to give it a week and bathe again, twice weekly. Although i mentioned they looked red, not more patches have appeared. xx

@ gem, thats what i have been thinking...Mites. We use advocate as a wormer and the vet said it does mites too, do fingers crossed. I paid £25 at the vets for malaseb they said can only be bought on prescription???

Is it true sudacrem can be used on dogs?
bluelagoon
bluelagoon

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 17 2011, 14:52

bluelagoon wrote:@ loopy, good to hear you think its good Big Grin I have only bathed him once on wednesday, gave him 20 mins because he was due to be wormed. Vet said to give it a week and bathe again, twice weekly. Although i mentioned they looked red, not more patches have appeared. xx

@ gem, thats what i have been thinking...Mites. We use advocate as a wormer and the vet said it does mites too, do fingers crossed. I paid £25 at the vets for malaseb they said can only be bought on prescription???

I live in Australia, so don't know if the same applies over there, but I bought mine from a pet supplies store and have seen it in the vets too and also various pet shops. Definitely NO prescription needed.

I have read a fair bit on theses forum topics people mention "sudacream" or "sudocream" Never heard of it before joining this site. Can anybody tell me what this cream is? Ta Blushing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 17 2011, 14:56

Sudocrem's a nappy cream that works just as well on sore spots on dogs! It's mild, soothing & forms a sort of barrier against outside elements for a while. It's also non-poisonous to dogs, so even if they manage to lick a bit off it won't do them any harm.

I've used it several times on small sore spots just to stop the itching, and also used it when Dempsey was chewing his front paws & making them sore - worked a treat.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 17 2011, 15:09

Caryll wrote:Sudocrem's a nappy cream that works just as well on sore spots on dogs! It's mild, soothing & forms a sort of barrier against outside elements for a while. It's also non-poisonous to dogs, so even if they manage to lick a bit off it won't do them any harm.

I've used it several times on small sore spots just to stop the itching, and also used it when Dempsey was chewing his front paws & making them sore - worked a treat.

Thanx...
Will keep it in mind if I ever need to use something like that. Probably a lot cheaper than anything the vet would try to sell ya' hey.

Back to top Go down

Post by gem Sun Apr 17 2011, 15:16

bluelagoon wrote:@ loopy, good to hear you think its good Big Grin I have only bathed him once on wednesday, gave him 20 mins because he was due to be wormed. Vet said to give it a week and bathe again, twice weekly. Although i mentioned they looked red, not more patches have appeared. xx

Just google it you can buy it online I buy it all the time I also buy canural (hope thats spelled right) for ear infections vets are a buisness and dont always look to a fair deal for the customers they need to make a profit but £15 is excessive.
All dogs have and carry the mange mite its just some that have a problem when they are run down a little, old or young and have a breakout advocate is brill for keeping them at bay and you can buy that on line also.
gem
gem

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : duke
Dog Gender(s) : dog
Support total : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by bluelagoon Sun Apr 17 2011, 20:37

thanx Caryll and jem, i thin im in the wrong profesion !!! might go be a vet make myself a small fortune Big Grin . xx
bluelagoon
bluelagoon

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 19 2011, 10:26

Sandra I use this for Milly as she has had skin problems it appears to be helping but as said it is hard waiting the 10 mins to rinse of I am lucky Milly loves the shower but I take a few treats up and give them to her while she is sat waiting.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down