another skin question

2 posters

Go down

another skin question Empty another skin question

Post by liam012 Wed Aug 07 2013, 20:03

Ive had ruby my staffie for about 8 months now i got her from a shelter when she was about two and a half, she started itching herself constantly about a week ago. Asuming it was fleas i bought some spot on treatments and hoped this would stop the problem but sincethen she has started using the pepple dash wall to scratch against to a point she has started making the skin red raw and a bit bloody. Really hoping for some suggestions on what it could be and how to treat it. is a visit to the vet required? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thankyou Liam Smile

liam012
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

another skin question Empty Re: another skin question

Post by Guest Wed Aug 07 2013, 20:09

Hi, welcome to the forum. How about popping over to the intro forum & letting us know a bit about yourself?
https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/f7-new-member-introductions

Have you changed her food, or maybe soap powder/liquid? Even floor cleaners etc? Most cases of itching are down to food or cleaning agents. Some cam also be put down to things like the sap in cut grass.

I'd try giving her half a Piriton tablet, twice a day for a couple of days & see if it helps. If it does, then it's an allergy of some sort & you'll have to try & find out what is causing it.

If that doesn't help then she may need some tests done by the vet - a skin scrape for mites may be one thing they'll look at.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 07 2013, 20:17

Definitely agree with the above advice. If it doesn't clear up after you've tried that, a vet trip is definitely a good idea.

Dogs handle pain better than iritation (itching), which is why many dogs will keep scratching until the skin is raw.

Back to top Go down

Post by liam012 Wed Aug 07 2013, 20:27

Thankyou i will get some tablets tomorrow and see if it helps. As for changes the only thing i can think of is a dog shampoo i washed her with (about a month and a half ago) other then that everything is still the same.
If the tablets dont clear it up tho i will deffinately be taking her down to the vets, i hate seeing her like this.
thankyou again

*i did post a quick reply but couldnt see it so iapologise if this comes up twice :L

liam012

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 07 2013, 20:29

What food do you give her, which brand? Sometimes dogs can suddenly become intolerant of things like wheat/cereals in food.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Wed Aug 07 2013, 21:47

If it doesn't start to clear up she needs to see the vet. Is she loosing any fur at all?
Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down