Biting when Playing

4 posters

Go down

Mad Biting when Playing

Post by Vicki29 Tue Aug 06 2013, 11:42

Hi,

When playing with my excitable 6 month old he licks you and gets over excited and starts biting as well.  We have tried all ways to get him to stop the biting but he just isn't getting the message.  We have tried the yelping and then ignoring him but the yelp just seems to make him more excited and he's not in the least bit alarmed that it may have hurt you.  After we yelp and walk away he just carries on playing by himself and doesn't seem too bothered that play has stopped.  We have been doing this since we got him in May but it just doesn't seem to be working with him.  I just can't see this method sorting it out as we have made no progress with it so far.  Does anyone have any other ideas?  He only does it to your head. You can be sitting on the sofa watching tv and all of a sudden he comes bounding up and starts frantically licking your face and then biting your ears!

Thanks,

Vicki

Vicki29
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Jerry
Dog(s) Ages : 2 years
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Mad Re: Biting when Playing

Post by Guest Tue Aug 06 2013, 12:12

Darcy was a terrible biter, now she only bites during play, have you tried a time out, perhaps putting him in another room (were he can't harm himself) some take longer than others to learn, but he'll get there Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vicki29 Tue Aug 06 2013, 12:17

Thanks Darcy-May, I will have to try that I think. He only does it during play and occassionaly when you are just sitting.

Vicki29

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by CaraElizabeth Tue Aug 06 2013, 12:39

Gwen is 7 months old and she is also a terrible biter! She has stopped mostly except when she gets over excited! As Darcy-May said above I would try giving him a time out. Once he starts to bite say "no" firmly if he doesn't stop just pick him up and put him in another room (laundry room or bathroom works great just make sure its puppy proof) Leave him there for 2 or 3 minutes and then let him out if he has stopped give him calm quiet praise (you don't want to get him all excited again). If he hasn't stopped and continues right back for time out again. You must do this every time for it to work! Consistency is key! It will take a little time but you will see progress! Good luck!
CaraElizabeth
CaraElizabeth
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Gwen
Dog(s) Ages : 12/22/2012
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 145

Back to top Go down

Post by Vicki29 Tue Aug 06 2013, 13:39

Thanks Guys, definitely the way forward I think!

Vicki29

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria90 Tue Aug 06 2013, 14:07

Rocky was and still is at times a very bad biter! I'm trying the yelping method and a firm no if needed, if it gets to far I find ignoring him and stopping the play works best!
Maria90
Maria90

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 10 months (09.01.2013)
Support total : 453

Back to top Go down

Post by Nuala Thu Aug 08 2013, 17:57

I'm still having biting and mouthing issues with Thistle, she is 4 months now, I wore wellies in the house because ignoring her was too painful, time out seems to work, mainly, not always, she does try to stop herself and rips and pulls my clothes instead, but will suddenly just launch herself at me when I'm sitting at my computer, got me a good un on my side. I think she is just attention seeking, I have had her on a lead for a while because she strained her leg... I despair sometimes though because it is bloody painful...
Nuala
Nuala
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Thistle
Dog(s) Ages : 7 months
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down