Staffy Biting dogs knecks when playing

3 posters

Go down

Staffy Biting dogs knecks when playing Empty Staffy Biting dogs knecks when playing

Post by DannyBurke Sun Dec 02 2012, 13:53

Hi, I have a staffy and when she plays with other dogs she will usually bite their necks if she knows she can get away with it. She had the same problem when she was younger and smaller and it wasn't so bad, as she stopped doing it for a few months and now has started again. I was contemplating buying a muzle for her but I am hoping there are more options in terms of sorting this for her. Thanks, Danny
DannyBurke
DannyBurke
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Lucy
Dog(s) Ages : 1 year old
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Staffy Biting dogs knecks when playing Empty Re: Staffy Biting dogs knecks when playing

Post by Guest Sun Dec 02 2012, 13:56

It's the way they play, I'm afraid!

I take it the other dogs don't mind?

Back to top Go down

Staffy Biting dogs knecks when playing Empty Re: Staffy Biting dogs knecks when playing

Post by Mark Sun Dec 02 2012, 13:57

miley was doing it yesterday with a border collie its just play i think
Mark
Mark
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Miley and Dylan
Dog(s) Ages : 2 and a half and 2
Dog Gender(s) : female/ Male
Support total : 464

Back to top Go down

Post by DannyBurke Sun Dec 02 2012, 14:00

mazz wrote:miley was doing it yesterday with a border collie its just play i think
She was doing it to a collie too, but does your try bite the harness too if they have one on?
DannyBurke
DannyBurke

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by DannyBurke Sun Dec 02 2012, 14:03

Caryll wrote:It's the way they play, I'm afraid!

I take it the other dogs don't mind?

I know but it doesn't look too good, and I think other owners get a bit nervous when a staff is biting their dogs necks/harness. Also; other dogs don't mind but she will get told off when she is being too much, hopefully she will quiet down a bit more soon she is 15 months now.
DannyBurke
DannyBurke

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 02 2012, 14:13

The girls bite each others necks all the time, Lola has permanent marks on her neck as she has sensitive skin. It depends on the owner of the other dog I suppose. My sister doesnt like Lily rough and tumbling with her Labradoodle as she will bite his neck in play but likes to chase him when she catches him usually by his curly hair she will chest him down.Whereas my 2 roll around biting each others necks and legs. They bare their teeth and make awful growling noises but its just play. Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by DannyBurke Sun Dec 02 2012, 14:23

Chiara wrote:The girls bite each others necks all the time, Lola has permanent marks on her neck as she has sensitive skin. It depends on the owner of the other dog I suppose. My sister doesnt like Lily rough and tumbling with her Labradoodle as she will bite his neck in play but likes to chase him when she catches him usually by his curly hair she will chest him down.Whereas my 2 roll around biting each others necks and legs. They bare their teeth and make awful growling noises but its just play. Big Grin

thats true! she was doing it earlier with a German/Belgium shepherd and she said she isn't usually playful with other dogs and Lucy was biting the harness - I felt quite bad.
DannyBurke
DannyBurke

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 02 2012, 18:42

necks and legs are free for all with our 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 02 2012, 19:47

Moved here.

No you don't need to muzzle her, that is how alot of dogs especially bully breeds play, you will be muzzling and chastising her for just playing. Don't worry about it and if anyone comments, just explain thats just how the breed plays.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathan Sun Dec 02 2012, 22:17

Its how they play. They are bold fearless stubbourn and love to wrestle. This is marley and his best and most trusted of friends
Staffy Biting dogs knecks when playing 025
Thats him at 8 months old 17kg v's 36kg and if i could add noise to that pic lol..
And them on way home
Staffy Biting dogs knecks when playing 2012-03-10155404
It sounds and looks and sounds nasty but to them its just fun so dont worry
Nathan
Nathan

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Marley and Laska
Dog(s) Ages : 30/08/2011 Marley 03/05/12 Laska
Dog Gender(s) : Male Marley Female Laska
Support total : 626

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 02 2012, 22:28

It's really just how they play and more acceptable than going for a tail, leg or other body part. As long as they have learned bite inhibition and the ohter handler is comfortable it's not an issue.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down