c-staff
Sazzle
Maria90
Kathy
janey
swansmike
12 posters

Go down

heat stroke- even at 10pm last night !! Empty heat stroke- even at 10pm last night !!

Post by swansmike Tue Jul 09 2013, 10:16

I know everyone is aware, most even more aware than me about heat stroke.

I took bronx out 9 40 last night, let him of the lead up the field and he chased a tennis ball and just walked around.
As I headed back the 5 minute walk, he collapsed at the side of the road I thought he was just being lazy then I noticed his back legs dragging when he got back up.

Down he went again, so I knew something was wrong -I picked him up and he went so floppy there was just nothing...I run all the way home with him, Had him on the floor out the garden cooling him down.

If I couldnt actually manage sprinting home carrying him he definitely would not be here..he is sleepy now but I imagine it took alot out of him

So yes for the ones that have not experienced heat stroke yet, it can even happen at late hours like that, which put you very of guard so be safe please horrible to see.

swansmike
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : bronx
Dog(s) Ages : 2
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 4

Back to top Go down

heat stroke- even at 10pm last night !! Empty Re: heat stroke- even at 10pm last night !!

Post by janey Tue Jul 09 2013, 10:19

Oh my, how is he today? That must have been shocking for you. God knows what I would do as I certainly couldn't carry Moo. I hope all is ok this morning Xx
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

heat stroke- even at 10pm last night !! Empty Re: heat stroke- even at 10pm last night !!

Post by swansmike Tue Jul 09 2013, 10:36

he is very quiet today ! I have got him inside windows open and a fan on
Proper shocking just how fast he went from enjoying himself to looking like he was shutting down. Scary !! x
Yeah : ( most people wont be able to carry staffys that far

He is chilling with my parents dogs at the min which dont happen very often
heat stroke- even at 10pm last night !! Bronxb10

swansmike

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 09 2013, 11:00

Aww no how awful & scary, so happy he's feeling well again, I'd have no chance of carrying Darcy either Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 09 2013, 11:15

Just goes to show you can't be too careful! Poor Bronx, I hope he's back to normal soon.

A few tips for anyone who thinks their dog is over heating -
1. Get in the shade (of course)
2. Allow a small amount of water, every 5 minutes or so; not too much or you'll risk bloating them
3. Wet your dog's head, belly, chest & paws but don't cover them with a wet cloth
4. If your dog is still ok to stand, put him in the bath with a couple of inches of cool (not cold) water in the bottom, and keep splashing it over him.
5. Once his core temperature is down, just let him relax in the shade with plenty of fresh air around him. If it's a still day then a fan is good.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Tue Jul 09 2013, 11:22

Excellent post from Caryll above thumbs up 

Have you spoken to the vet about it just incase there is anything else underlying ??
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by swansmike Tue Jul 09 2013, 11:29

all girls posting !!
good information hope people look at it

we rung the emergency vet last night while sorting him out, they said there was no need to come down unless he did not stop, wierdly...maybe due to the fact it was £100 just to see them Im not sure

he is due his injection this month to so hopefully they can have a little look at him then to.

swansmike

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 09 2013, 11:33

Most dogs recover really well from overheating as long as it's stopped early & they're allowed to cool down & relax.

It's amazing how hot it can be, even at night!

He might do well with a couple of ice cubes here & there today, just to make sure he's keeping his core temperature down.

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria90 Tue Jul 09 2013, 11:42

Aww Bronx! Glad he is feeling much better today! Rest up Bronx!
Maria90
Maria90

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 10 months (09.01.2013)
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 453

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Tue Jul 09 2013, 13:51

Poor Bronx, glad he is recovering OK xx
Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 09 2013, 16:29

That must have been really scary for you Sad Glad he's recovering alright!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 09 2013, 17:00

To be honest over the last couple of days the boys haven't been for a walk, i CAN'T take the risk with Chance.

We've been doing some games in the house, and TBH they have not missed their walks and just sleep all day somewhere

Glad he's better today Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by c-staff Tue Jul 09 2013, 17:24

Must have been scary for u both!, poor Bronx, thanks for the heads up swansmike, been taking byson out at 9 and still very warm, gona wait till later with a smaller walk I think!!

c-staff
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 09 2013, 17:48

How very unnerving for you, poor Bronx hope he is felling better todayxx

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Tue Jul 09 2013, 18:19

Yes! You must be careful. Good job realizing and getting him home pronto. I had to forgo the second walk (evening time) with my beasts for over a week due to not cooling down enough until the pre-sunrise hours and even then it was hot. Thankfully when it is hot they don't have a lick of energy to get into too serious trouble
Ben
Ben

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Frosty, Piglette
Dog(s) Ages : 3, 5
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 325

Back to top Go down

Post by mickgill Tue Jul 09 2013, 18:22

Im not taking Duke out in this heat he was panting just walking round the garden, i have a spray water bottle and i have been spraying him every 20 mins in the garden , as i type he is in the house sleeping with a fan on, we must be vigilant in this very hot spell, really glad bronx is ok .
mickgill
mickgill

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Duke
Dog(s) Ages : 10 months
Support total : 222

Back to top Go down

Post by stella Tue Jul 09 2013, 20:34

poor bronx,and you it must have really scared you,glad to hear he is on the mend Smile 
stella
stella
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : sasha
Dog(s) Ages : 15years RIP
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 1747

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathan Tue Jul 09 2013, 22:42

core temp is the problem that people forget about. while its still warm and humid at night it can still be easy to exceed the body limits and slip into hyperthermia if they are zipping around like mad.
a good digital thermometer can be a great asset to assess the situation. as a general rule +39C is abnormal and 41C can lead to mutiple organ failure if not treated right away. as Caryll posted a gentle cool down is needed or youll risk puting the dog into shock.
Have also heard that once a dog has experianced hypothermia it is more susceptible to it in the future so on going care is needed.
Nathan
Nathan

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Marley and Laska
Dog(s) Ages : 30/08/2011 Marley 03/05/12 Laska
Dog Gender(s) : Male Marley Female Laska
Support total : 626

Back to top Go down

Post by swansmike Tue Jul 09 2013, 23:13

thanks everyone, seems everyones staffys are bloody sleeping Tongues
he is outers on the sofa with a fan on him again, stay safe Smile

swansmike

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathan Tue Jul 09 2013, 23:18

lol bless him, thats the problem with staffs, they are built to take pain and as such will tollorate alot before giving in and some just dont understand the meaning of the words. thats why you have to be carefull when running with them for instance as some will go on and on and on until they drop for a willingness to please.
Nathan
Nathan

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Marley and Laska
Dog(s) Ages : 30/08/2011 Marley 03/05/12 Laska
Dog Gender(s) : Male Marley Female Laska
Support total : 626

Back to top Go down

Post by swansmike Tue Jul 09 2013, 23:25

in a kind of sick way it just shows how loyal they are, carrying on until they collapse. bloody murder

swansmike

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by jshrew Wed Jul 10 2013, 00:03

Glad Bronx is ok. Ledger has been begging for walks all day he isn't realising how cool my house stays compared to outside, we go for about 45 mins in the morning along the brook and around the skate park where it's really shady, and apart from that just 5 min spins under the trees in the park at the back of my house

We did go to agility tonight but there was plenty of water and I kept dousing his paws and head and he seems to be ok, seems to self regulate quite well and lie on cold floors when his core temp is rising

Just incase this heat continues I have booked him in for a swim in the local hydro pool next week, normally £20 for half hour but its half price for the first session
jshrew
jshrew
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ledger and Maple
Dog(s) Ages : 7 and 2
Dog Gender(s) : Male and Female
Support total : 209

Back to top Go down

Post by swansmike Wed Jul 10 2013, 00:07

sounds like he is enjoying himself and are spoiling him Smile you actually have places up there where you can book dogs into swim !! bloody hell

swansmike

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by jshrew Wed Jul 10 2013, 00:19

The local pet hotel where he has been for doggy daycare has a new pool mostly for therapy but they also do recreational swims
jshrew
jshrew

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ledger and Maple
Dog(s) Ages : 7 and 2
Dog Gender(s) : Male and Female
Support total : 209

Back to top Go down

Post by Staffy lover Wed Jul 10 2013, 08:35

How is Bronx today. Great advice from all. Pixee does seem to suffer in the hot heat, we noticed that last year. Walks are only in the woods and only for 10 to 15 mins. Our house can get hot ever with the fan on, due to the sun room, which is Pixees fav spot, so going out now is quick, as I know Pixee will just stay in the sun room watching for me to come back Sad .
Staffy lover
Staffy lover

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Pixee
Dog(s) Ages : 4 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 214

Back to top Go down

Post by swansmike Wed Jul 10 2013, 09:16

jshrew wrote:The local pet hotel where he has been for doggy daycare has a new pool mostly for therapy but they also do recreational swims

sounds lovely Smile didnt know there was stuff like that about

swansmike

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by swansmike Wed Jul 10 2013, 09:21

Staffy lover wrote:How is Bronx today.  Great advice from all.  Pixee does seem to suffer in the hot heat, we noticed that last year.  Walks are only in the woods and only for 10 to 15 mins.  Our house can get hot ever with the fan on, due to the sun room, which is Pixees fav spot, so going out now is quick, as I know Pixee will just stay in the sun room watching for me to come back Sad .
i stayed downstairs with him till about 2 30 with the fan on then took him upstairs, he woke up about 3 times through the night so i gave him a drink in bed so he didnt have to move haha..

then i woke up at 9 with him panting so i shot downstairs with him to cool down all day now. to warm!
good idea on the woods to nice and shaded.

ah it gets so hot in them : ( my mums dogs spot is the convo , where it gets boiling hot so have to make sure its closed at all times or they would fry

swansmike

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down