UK Dog Laws

3 posters

Go down

UK Dog Laws Empty UK Dog Laws

Post by Guest Tue May 21 2013, 22:10

Thank you Steve for posting the dog laws for various countries.

This one caused me to be a bit nervous:-

Out of control

Your dog is considered dangerously out of control if it:
injures someone
makes someone worried that it might injure them

I know I'm probably being silly, but it did shock me that we, as dog owners, are supposed to control what someone might think - or worry. After all, most of us Staffie owners have experienced "someone" casting "worried" looking eyes at our beloved pooches, even when they are firmly on a short lead. We can't be sure what this someone is thinking but sometimes it's pretty obvious (like when they cross the road to avoid us, for example).

Personally, I always give my sweetest smile and most reassuring utterances when this happens to me as I hate to think that anyone is scared of my dog, but what if he gave a little friendly jump in greeting (yes I know he shouldn't do it and is getting better, but ....). Well, you get my drift.

I just think that this phrase is too loosely expressed - or am I being oversensative and silly?

Back to top Go down

UK Dog Laws Empty Re: UK Dog Laws

Post by Guest Tue May 21 2013, 22:15

I think it's too loosely expressed, although when I spoke to a member of my church (chief inspector, no less!) and asked his view, he reckons that they've been told that it means a person must have reason to believe that they are in danger from a dog (ie the dog will be barking/growling/lunging at them) and not just that they don't like dogs/don't like you etc.

He reckons it'll be a very difficult law to prove either way & is probably not worth the paper it's written on!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 21 2013, 22:17

Hmmm as Caryll said it's a bit of a grey area really, but i take it as the person must have reason to think that a dog is of danger to them, not just they don't like the way they look!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 21 2013, 22:18

I think the definition if it came to it would be a dog snarling and baring its teeth and possibly attempting to lunge at them. A dog just walking around someone is not under control, but it is not dangerously out of control.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Tue May 21 2013, 22:24

I have to agree it would be so hard to prove, I don't think it's anything to worry about.
Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by jshrew Tue May 21 2013, 22:36

It can come in with dog on dog where the 'attacked' dog is on lead. Also with snappy rat types they may not physically injure someone but hanging off your arm you couldthink that it was going to
jshrew
jshrew
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ledger and Maple
Dog(s) Ages : 7 and 2
Dog Gender(s) : Male and Female
Support total : 209

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 21 2013, 23:27

It's written far too vaguely, but I don't think the vagueness will cause any issues; I doubt anyone's going to intefere because someone hates dogs or got scared by a dog walking close by them. I'm sure it's when the person has genuine cause for worry.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathan Tue May 21 2013, 23:37

dont worry to much its an objective thing to prove and most dog wardens wouldnt give a rats * about it. it will most likley be used in a dangerouse dog incidnet not in an everyday thing. dog on dog isnt seen as as problem unless its against guide dogs anyway and that is new legistation only just being passed now. the dda is such an * in this country but totaly defendble against
Nathan
Nathan
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Marley and Laska
Dog(s) Ages : 30/08/2011 Marley 03/05/12 Laska
Dog Gender(s) : Male Marley Female Laska
Support total : 626

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 22 2013, 20:11

Thank you, all. I am reassured that this portion (at least) is so badly written that it would not be upholdable in a court of law.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down