dont know what to do any more?

3 posters

Go down

dont know what to do any more? Empty dont know what to do any more?

Post by xtiaxmariaxstaffyx Sun May 19 2013, 13:15

OK so I really need some help here, went out last night for my birthday, friends were over we was all in the garden til about 5:30pm my neighbour had a key to let her out, she had been on the beach for 3 hours running around going in the sea, playing with other dogs etc. So when I left to go out, my neighbour just told me she was howling, crying loads and barking. So she let her out a lot. Still done the same. My neighbour even sat in the house with her but she kept going to the door crying. I left the radio on for her, she had a nice juicy bone to chew. Plenty of water and food and her bed. Plus the run of the house...what more could I do? She is the same if my mum is here and I've popped to the shop for 5 minutes! Cried and cries. I've tried the whole leaving her and coming back over and over. Doesn't work. I've even left a hoodie of mine in her bed for comfort? Didn't work. I really don't know what to do anymore. She will end up stressing her self out or worse! Anyone know what to do or been in this situation? She kept my neighbour up and her daughter. I was home by 11. She went nuts jumping all over me crying. Weeing lol. And then went straight to sleep in her bed! Please help. Thank you.
xtiaxmariaxstaffyx
xtiaxmariaxstaffyx
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
dont know what to do any more? Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : tia
Dog(s) Ages : 23/9/12
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 39

Back to top Go down

dont know what to do any more? Empty Re: dont know what to do any more?

Post by Guest Sun May 19 2013, 13:50

Hmm that's very bad separation anxiety. Have you considered anything like a thunder shirt or a calming plug in? In extreme cases you can even medicate from the vets.

As for the training, how long we're you leaving for before coming back? Have you tried keeping her in say the kitchen with a baby gate so she can see you but isn't near you, then eventually try the "pop out" for a min then back then make it longer.

I've also heard crating when out can help very stressed dogs as they see it as their safe area.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 19 2013, 15:04

some good suggestions there from Hayley , don't really know what else to add. Really like the idea of the in house separation and stretching that to little step outs . The key to all of this is baby steps and patience as you really are not going to change things overnight

Back to top Go down

Post by xtiaxmariaxstaffyx Sun May 19 2013, 15:17

I've been doing it for a few seconds to having a cigerette outside then coming back in to going to the shop for 5 minutes etc etc. I've been doing this for months. Not just a few days or weeks. I tried her in a cage the other day and to be honest it was even worse, she sleeps out on the landing now and I leave the door open so she sees me atbbedtime. And she's fine. Even if my mum is here and I pop to the shop (across the road from me) she is the same. And she sees my mum everyday so she knows her well. Even took her to the beach for 3 hours and thought that would tire her out. But it didn't. Really don't know what else to try. My neighbour always let's her out if I'm shopping etc so its not like she's on her own stuck in for hours. She ripped up my kitchen laminate flooring so I had to close the kitchen off.
xtiaxmariaxstaffyx
xtiaxmariaxstaffyx
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
dont know what to do any more? Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : tia
Dog(s) Ages : 23/9/12
Support total : 39

Back to top Go down

Post by CaraElizabeth Sun May 19 2013, 16:17

Aw sounds like she does have really bad separation anxiety! As Hayley suggested, I would definitely try a thundershirt! I have heard those worked for a lot of people! Also would suggested crating her! I would introduce her very slowly and start with crating her while you are home and in the same room with her..then crate her and leave the room for a minute or two and slowly make it longer..but dont just crate her when you are leaving bc then she will think crate= you leaving. Gwen used to have terrible separation anx. we could leave her for long because she would hurt herself because she was so distressed. We used this method with the crate and it has worked wonders! She now goes in the crate on her own sometimes to relax..and when we put her in there when we are going to leave the house she just lays down and goes to sleep..hopefully this helps. Goodluck!
CaraElizabeth
CaraElizabeth
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Gwen
Dog(s) Ages : 12/22/2012
Support total : 145

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Sun May 19 2013, 16:26

how many time are you walking her and how long for?

Steve

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 19 2013, 16:46

Aww great advice ^^^above, poor Tia is really getting herself upset, patience & persistence, and as Dave said baby steps, good luck Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 19 2013, 16:57

The thunder shirt is a good idea, but have you thought about using Adaptil? you can get the plug-ins and/or sprays and they're supposed to ease stress.

Give it a try, you can't lose anything by it. thumbs up

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Sun May 19 2013, 17:15

before we can help we need to know their walking routes

Steve

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 19 2013, 18:36

Steve wrote:before we can help we need to know their walking routes

On this occasion she was walked for three hours before she was left alone. That's more than enough to me

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down