i really dont know what to do

4 posters

Go down

i really dont know what to do Empty i really dont know what to do

Post by jodie&jake Fri Jan 20 2012, 00:24

jake has always bein really exited around new people as its just normally me and him at home. ive tryed to calm him down when people come to visit but thers no stopping him,he jumps all over them and dont calm down..tonight hes really done my head in,my friend who is 20 weeks pregnant came round and jake jumped on her belly and really hurt her, i felt so bad and annoyed with jake,even if i put him in another room he just crys cus he wants to cum out,he just dont calm down what ever i do...........ive bein told to get him neutered as this may help calm him down,is this true? tonight has really upset me because of what he done to my friend Sad Sad

jodie&jake
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : jake
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

i really dont know what to do Empty Re: i really dont know what to do

Post by Guest Fri Jan 20 2012, 00:44

You should be doing what you did tonight. Along with teaching him to go away from the door and stay i.e. don't open the door until he is away from it and if he get sup as soon as you open the door close it again and make him leave until you can get the door open without him coming to it, it will take a while and your guest will probably be annoyed but its training!

When you have people in the house, as soon as he gets a little to excited take him out of the room and don't let him back in again until he is totally silent and calm. if he starts again, right back out. It can be a long exhausting process but its vital to his training. good luck, i hope you find someone patient enough haha

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Fri Jan 20 2012, 03:18

Another way to keep things under control during the training phase is to keep him on a lead (short but not too short). Let him drag it about and use it to make quick corrections (step on it if he rushes your friends etc). This can help tremendously once they understand that they won't be fussed over until they are calm. This also requires you explaining to friends what needs to be done to help you with the training process. It takes some time, but it helps tremendously. I have taught mine to wait down the hall when people come over. It takes some work, but it is worth it! It can be frustrating in the process.
Ben
Ben
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Frosty, Piglette
Dog(s) Ages : 3, 5
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 325

Back to top Go down

Post by Msigler Fri Jan 20 2012, 05:46

I used a baby gate that blocks the door way with my dogs. I would let them greet my guests (this is after the jumping up training) when they came in and then they had to go to the kitchen where the gate blocked them from leaving. At first yes they would whine and make noise but I went out of my way to ignore this bad behavior no matter how irritating it was. I gave them chew toys to help with this also. After a month or so of this they were able to join the party while being model citizens. The hardest part of this training is to teach the dog to not jump up on you.

Msigler
Banned
Banned

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 13

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 20 2012, 10:37

I agree with all the above! Choose the way you want to follow and stick to it. Tell your guests what you intend to do & ask them to be supportive & patient while you sort it out.

Staffs are naturally very friendly towards people & they can get so excited when they greet them. But a bit of consistent training will sort it out.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 20 2012, 11:53

You also need to focus on not letting him jump up on you. When he does it turn around and ignore him until he settles down. It takes time but works wonders.

You will have to ignore the whinning. If you let him get his own way it will make him think that he just has to keep whinning and he will get what he wants.

When you have guests explain to them how you are trining the dog so they know what to expect. If you have friends that are dog people it helps

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 20 2012, 12:10

P.S. Neutering isn't a fix-all, I'm afraid, especially in a case like this. Although in general it may calm a dog down (not guaranteed!), it won't stop him being over excited with visitors - that's just his friendly nature getting the better of him! I firmly belive that training is the key in this instance. If you then want to get him neutered, by all means do, but it won't solve this particular problem.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pado Fri Jan 20 2012, 17:02

Great advice given applause .... but also remember this goes for you and everybody living in your home also - Jake needs to learn 'everybody' coming in the hall door is off limits for jumping and excited greetings.

Until Frank learned not to jump or greet excitedly I completely ignored him when coming home until he calmed down - then and only then, would I greet him.

Now he greets everybody coming home -or guests coming in- calmly with all four feet on the floor and he is greeted calmly also with a hello and a pat Smile - Best of Luck !

Pado
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
i really dont know what to do Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male
Dog Gender(s) :
Support total : 19

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down