Help dont know what to think or do??

2 posters

Go down

Help dont know what to think or do?? Empty Help dont know what to think or do??

Post by Guest Sun Jul 22 2012, 19:18

Hi all
Just wanted a bit of advice, as u all know Kodi's 5.5mths now friendly with everyone and every animal, but recently out when he see's a man he puts his hackles up, ears up and does the "i shat meself" walk, as tho hes going to go for them but once their close he goes all silly puppy wanting to play.
Last night my OH and son (13yrs) came over, I asked OH to look at my lawn mower cos I think I bent the blades, he went in the garden bent down to look at it, Kodi came flying out and bit his leg, no little nip a meaningful bite, I was so shocked I shouted at Kodi and got him in, OH clearly wanted to murder Kodi by then Sad
Kodi was fine after that as normal all over my OH wanting to cuddle and play, OH had a play with him and all was forgotten.
Then when we went along the sea front (very busy) this morning OH held Kodi to see what he was like if he held him, walked past all men with no hackles up no shat ya self walk, So I took the lead again he started the hackles up etc, my friend gina came with us so OH told her hold the lead see what Kodi does, again like with my OH good as gold i dont know

I dont know weather to ignore the bite to OH and accept it as just a one off as such or what, I dont want to have to muzzle him at such a young age, quite happy with a adult but to me it seems a bit extreme for a puppy, even tho hes extremely large for his age hes still a baby.
OH is obviously concerned as he dont want me getting in any trouble whilst out with Kodi

Any advice please Smile

Back to top Go down

Help dont know what to think or do?? Empty Re: Help dont know what to think or do??

Post by Guest Sun Jul 22 2012, 20:05

Staffiexxx wrote:I dont know weather to ignore the bite to OH and accept it as just a one off as such or what, I dont want to have to muzzle him at such a young age, quite happy with a adult but to me it seems a bit extreme for a puppy, even tho hes extremely large for his age hes still a baby.

I would say that he's picking up some sort of signal from you - some sort of anxiety that maybe even you don't realise is there. When you're out with him, and you see someone walking towards you, take several deep, calming breaths and smile. Not at the stranger (he'll think you're odd), but just to yourself. Smile and talk to Kodi in a low, calm, soothing voice. See if that helps.

The bite was one of those 'mistake' things that sometimes happen with pups. Aggressive dogs don't become aggressive all of a sudden, and certainly not pups! He might have mistaken your oh for a stranger and nipped without thinking. If he was ok afterwards & when you went for a walk, I doubt that it was a deliberate thing. Just keep an eye on him and be prepared to step in with a quick "No" if he looks like he's overstepping the mark!.

A muzzle is certainly not necessary, especially as this seems to be a one off thing.

Back to top Go down

Help dont know what to think or do?? Empty Re: Help dont know what to think or do??

Post by Guest Sun Jul 22 2012, 20:25

Thanks Caryll

Personally I think the same as you a mistake we all make them, me and my mate was talking bout it earlier and she pointed out 1 thing you said about Kodi thinking Dean was a stranger, because he didnt see him come in the dogs were in the livingroom playing when Dean got here ,and he went straight in the garden cos he was smoking so the first Kodi see was a man bent over in the garden worried

As for locals thinking im mad they already do so smiling at them wont change that rolling on the floor

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Sun Jul 22 2012, 20:46

Love the 'shat himself walk!' Laughing

I can't really advise anythingI agree a muzzle it not needed though.

Hearing you with the crazy lady bit!
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 22 2012, 22:05

Caryll wrote:
Staffiexxx wrote:I dont know weather to ignore the bite to OH and accept it as just a one off as such or what, I dont want to have to muzzle him at such a young age, quite happy with a adult but to me it seems a bit extreme for a puppy, even tho hes extremely large for his age hes still a baby.

I would say that he's picking up some sort of signal from you - some sort of anxiety that maybe even you don't realise is there. When you're out with him, and you see someone walking towards you, take several deep, calming breaths and smile. Not at the stranger (he'll think you're odd), but just to yourself. Smile and talk to Kodi in a low, calm, soothing voice. See if that helps.

The bite was one of those 'mistake' things that sometimes happen with pups. Aggressive dogs don't become aggressive all of a sudden, and certainly not pups! He might have mistaken your oh for a stranger and nipped without thinking. If he was ok afterwards & when you went for a walk, I doubt that it was a deliberate thing. Just keep an eye on him and be prepared to step in with a quick "No" if he looks like he's overstepping the mark!.

A muzzle is certainly not necessary, especially as this seems to be a one off thing.

Agree with this. There are also just some people they may not like for whatever reason. Suki has a couple of people she barks at every time.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 23 2012, 18:26

Looks like maybe he is very protective over you.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 23 2012, 19:06

We did a little "test" this morning walked to the shops (always loads of people) and my friend held him, he was plodding along great but when we got to "where people were" he stopped dead and walked by my foot, I tried walking away from him he screamed like a baby, So I took his lead and within seconds a man walked towards us and off Kodi went again "Shat me self walk" (lol Janey Tongues ) & Started growling!!! (hes NEVER growled at anything), I firmly told him "NO" and he stopped, sat down and just stared at me then wouldnt take his eyes off me all the way home?????? Straight Face

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Mon Jul 23 2012, 19:36

Staffiexxx wrote:We did a little "test" this morning walked to the shops (always loads of people) and my friend held him, he was plodding along great but when we got to "where people were" he stopped dead and walked by my foot, I tried walking away from him he screamed like a baby, So I took his lead and within seconds a man walked towards us and off Kodi went again "Shat me self walk" (lol Janey Tongues ) & Started growling!!! (hes NEVER growled at anything), I firmly told him "NO" and he stopped, sat down and just stared at me then wouldnt take his eyes off me all the way home?????? Straight Face

Is he just being protective of you as Lynne suggested ??
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 23 2012, 20:04

Im thinking maybe he cud be but if this is the case I need to break it as it could be dangerous as I do lots of visiting and have people visiting me most days.

Any idea's would be great i dont know

Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 23 2012, 20:09

Staffiexxx wrote:I firmly told him "NO" and he stopped, sat down and just stared at me then wouldnt take his eyes off me all the way home?????? Straight Face

That's what you need to do. He needs to realise that you don't need protecting. As long as you keep calm, tell him "No, quiet" (calmly but firmly) every time, he'll start to relax.

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Mon Jul 23 2012, 20:11

You could try having another member of the family feed him, might help and let them take over a little bit more handling of him, just so he is used to you not being around all the time Xx
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 23 2012, 20:23

Caryll wrote:
Staffiexxx wrote:I firmly told him "NO" and he stopped, sat down and just stared at me then wouldnt take his eyes off me all the way home?????? Straight Face

That's what you need to do. He needs to realise that you don't need protecting. As long as you keep calm, tell him "No, quiet" (calmly but firmly) every time, he'll start to relax.

Thanks Caryll i'll keep this up everytime he does it Smile

janey wrote:
You could try having another member of the family feed him, might help and let them take over a little bit more handling of him, just so he is used to you not being around all the time Xx

This is a good idea Jane I didnt think of that, But when I think about it hes quite obsessive with me if I go up stairs he sits at the bottom waiting but comes looking for me if gone more than 5/10mins, When I go out he gets my slippers takes them to the front door and lays on them till I come back (& hes done it no matter who still in the house with him), If I do manage to get out the door without him running out attached like velcro to my leg!, he sleeps on my legs, and right now hes on sofa with me even though my sister is sitting on the bigger one which has more room Laughing , Never really noticed till now but he is pretty much attached to me like glue 24/7, plus I do feeding walking etc i dont know

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 23 2012, 20:27

Similar to me. Dempsey is very protective towards me & wherever I go in the house he soon follows. Right now he's lying behind my chair - I just hope I don't have to get up because I can't push the chair back!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down