Biting??

+2
cesca1
blueskyy
6 posters

Go down

Biting?? Empty Biting??

Post by blueskyy Thu May 16 2013, 20:54

My pup has taken to biting anything she can get at on me... Literally ANYTHING... My chest seems to be a favourite at the moment, I've had to start wearing really padded bras just to minimise the pain when she does this lol laughing about it now but it really isn't funny at the time! She also lunges at my face and bites my ears a lot and earlier she got on my knee and pretended to want cuddles but 10 seconds later she sunk her teeth into my shoulder!

Please somebody tell me this is just a normal staffy pup thing and that I don't actually own The Devil's dog?! Puppies I've had in the past always stuck to biting my hands/arms but this little beast bites anything and everything!

blueskyy
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Biting?? Empty Re: Biting??

Post by Guest Thu May 16 2013, 21:02

It's very normal. I've been calling Loki a demon since he was 8 weeks old because he was the same, he was horrible with the biting. He's better now, it's stopped except when he's REALLY excited, but it's not so bad. Here's a link that should help you deal with it:

http://staffy-bull-terrier.com/stop_your_staffy_puppy_biting

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 16 2013, 21:03

It is normal! Although you probably do own a devil dog! >Smile

Seriously, it's how pups play with their siblings, so it's perfectly normal to them. We just need to teach them what's acceptable for us.

The best way, really, is every time she nips (or gets thoroughly over excited) either yelp, or say "No" and then stop all interraction completely. Turn away (put her off of your lap if she's on it) and don't even look at her. If necessary put her out of the room for a minute until she calms down.

If you do that every time she nips she's start to realise that nipping = ignored and not nipping = fuss/attention.

Back to top Go down

Post by blueskyy Thu May 16 2013, 21:18

Thanks Tara and Caryll. I am always telling her "no!" And she usually responds and when she is being really naughty/hyper she has time outs to calm down. I am getting there with the teaching her not to bite its really just the locations in which she bites me thats getting to me as I've never know a puppy to constantly lunge at faces! I used to have quite a nasty dog who has passed away now but when he was a puppy even he didn't bite like she does. Just over worrying I guess as she is my first staff.

blueskyy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 16 2013, 21:22

Some take longer than others to learn, up until darcy was about 5 months I was covered in cuts & bruises Laughing but it most definitely gets better with perseverance & patience, good luck Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 16 2013, 22:05

The link provided has great info. Just make sure everyone around the pup follows the advice every time

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 16 2013, 22:12

blueskyy wrote:Thanks Tara and Caryll. I am always telling her "no!" And she usually responds and when she is being really naughty/hyper she has time outs to calm down. I am getting there with the teaching her not to bite its really just the locations in which she bites me thats getting to me as I've never know a puppy to constantly lunge at faces! I used to have quite a nasty dog who has passed away now but when he was a puppy even he didn't bite like she does. Just over worrying I guess as she is my first staff.

They just get a bit over excited & over exuberant! As long as you're consistent (and so is everybody else!) she'll get there!

Back to top Go down

Post by cesca1 Thu May 16 2013, 23:36

This post did make me smile Smile I feel for you, so happy Moll is out of that stage! She would do the face lunge as well, little rascals! Good luck and follow the advice given above!
cesca1
cesca1
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Engaged
Dogs Name(s) : Molly
Dog(s) Ages : 20.04.12
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by katie.lm761 Thu May 16 2013, 23:57

Do a really loud yelp and then say no. X

katie.lm761
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : sapphir
Dog(s) Ages : 5month
Dog Gender(s) : bitch female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 17 2013, 01:24

Lunging at faces is how they say "Hey, let's play!" so don't worry, she's not being nasty, just impolite Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by CaraElizabeth Fri May 17 2013, 03:13

This is not unusual, don't worry! Gwen was an angel for the 1st week we had her and then the craziness began! lol! She started growling..lunging at our faces and biting us everywhere all the time! One day when she was around 13 weeks old she even bit straight through my boyfriends ear!!!! With a lot of training and patience she has slowly gotten better with this but it takes time and does not happen over night, which its unfortunate because those sharp little puppy teeth really hurt! I can tell you it does get better..she was so bad at one point i thought she would NEVER stop! Now she is 5 months old and she hardly ever lunges at our faces..rarely she will have a few minutes where she is so hyper and you can tell she just cant control herself and will bite us or grab onto our shoes or pants and try to play tug of war..like i said though this is rare and most of the time she doesnt nip at us anymore..however she does still chew on furniture, mattress, sheets, pillows, pretty much everything shes not allowed to chew so we are working on stopping that! Good luck!
CaraElizabeth
CaraElizabeth

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Gwen
Dog(s) Ages : 12/22/2012
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 145

Back to top Go down

Post by KarenGoodall Thu May 23 2013, 14:10

haha, this sounds so much like Colin, interestingly though, he only does it to my two teenagers and my partner. I think its because he sees me as pack leader so we need to work on him recognising that they are too.... It only seems to be when he gets over excited so have told my partner to kerb some of the rough play with his at present just until we really get the bite inhibition working. The other thing I would add that seems to be working is if the person he is doing it to gets up and ignores him, everyone else has to as well as Colin is quite clever at moving on to the next person to get some attention, which kind of defeats the object. Colin is 11 weeks old now and we've had him since 9 weeks, just seems to be when he is getting a little cocky lol and we have to remind him who's boss. Good luck!!
KarenGoodall
KarenGoodall

Status Status :

Relationship Status : Engaged
Dogs Name(s) : Colin
Dog(s) Ages : 18 weeks
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 10

Back to top Go down

Post by reuben Thu May 23 2013, 14:36

blueskyy wrote:Thanks Tara and Caryll. I am always telling her "no!" And she usually responds and when she is being really naughty/hyper she has time outs to calm down. I am getting there with the teaching her not to bite its really just the locations in which she bites me thats getting to me as I've never know a puppy to constantly lunge at faces! I used to have quite a nasty dog who has passed away now but when he was a puppy even he didn't bite like she does. Just over worrying I guess as she is my first staff.

Follow Caryll and Tara's advice and he'll soon get the message. Bacchus is my first staffie and it took only about a week for him to catch on. Don't know how I would have coped without this forum TBH. Lots of sound advice on pretty much every scenario.

What I have learned is, they are capable of so much affection that it's tempting to be won over, but you must be firm while at the same time returning that affection.

Never known a dog that can make you feel so guilty for letting it know it was guilty in the first place.
reuben
reuben
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Bacchus ( The Wee Man )
Dog(s) Ages : Born 18/07/12
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 166

Back to top Go down