+3
janey
StuW
bullsmommy1
7 posters

Go down

Bad dandruff  Empty Bad dandruff

Post by bullsmommy1 Fri May 10 2013, 13:55

Hi guys, I'm sorry to be posting about this as I know there's allready a few topics on it, but bulley has been suffering awful dandruff lately it seems to of been triggered by a dog shampoo I've always used, I've tried a different medicated one but still no improvement, also the dandruff isn't all over just on his back legs and belly where he has less fur, I see sardines are recommended but he won't eat any fish, what else could help? thanks in advance for any advice, much appreciated
bullsmommy1
bullsmommy1
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Bulley, major & kaiser
Dog(s) Ages : 10,13 & 5months
Dog Gender(s) : all male
Support total : 37

Back to top Go down

Bad dandruff  Empty Re: Bad dandruff

Post by Guest Fri May 10 2013, 14:01

Logan had a bad case of it in the cold weather we had.

I read to brush him daily, but that made it worse. I rubbed him down often with a dry towel and that really helped.

I also started giving him Braggs Apple Cider Vinegar which helped and I will be doing everyday now. Raw egg once a day.

Also one day it was REALLY bad and I put a few drops of EV olive oil into some warm water and rubbed it into his skin which really helped also.

Took a few weeks but he is as right as rain again Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by StuW Fri May 10 2013, 14:06

How often are you using shampoo on him? Could be a factor which is drying his skin out. Salmon oil in his food would help his skin and coat, tinned sardines in oil/tomato sauce aswell instead of raw fish!
StuW
StuW

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Bailey, Sierra
Dog(s) Ages : 8th Sep 2011, 12th Sept 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 154

Back to top Go down

Post by bullsmommy1 Fri May 10 2013, 14:19

Thank Matt I can try the olive oil, where do you get the apple cider vinegar from?
And he used to have one every week or 2 now every couple months, he won't eat sardines pilchards or raw eggs, maybe he'll eat it with a little salmon oil in, I'll give it a try, thanks guys!
bullsmommy1
bullsmommy1

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by StuW Fri May 10 2013, 14:22

Every couple of months is still too much! Once or twice a year is more like it, bathing will strip the natural oils from your dogs skin and will have to work harder to produce more oils.
StuW
StuW

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 10 2013, 14:48

bullsmommy1 wrote:Thank Matt I can try the olive oil, where do you get the apple cider vinegar from?
And he used to have one every week or 2 now every couple months, he won't eat sardines pilchards or raw eggs, maybe he'll eat it with a little salmon oil in, I'll give it a try, thanks guys!

I got mine from eBay Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Fri May 10 2013, 16:57

I hope you get it sorted, I tend to not bath Moo at all, she had her first shower for over a year the other day Smile
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 10 2013, 17:20

Yea get it on ebay. Get the Braggs one as it seems the best Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 10 2013, 17:24

StuW wrote:How often are you using shampoo on him? Could be a factor which is drying his skin out. Salmon oil in his food would help his skin and coat, tinned sardines in oil/tomato sauce aswell instead of raw fish!

I'd have a try of putting a few squirts of salmon oil on his food -

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/dogs/dog_health/skin_coat_supplements/other/306583

Back to top Go down

Post by bullsmommy1 Fri May 10 2013, 18:37

Okay, I'll get both, do you have to order both online ?
bullsmommy1
bullsmommy1

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Fri May 10 2013, 21:11

Not sure about Salmon oil as I don't use that, but got my apple cidar vinegar from Ebay too, make sure you get one 'with mother'
Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 10 2013, 22:05

I don't bathe a lot only if she has a vet appt and then i bathe her a few days before, i only use baby shampoo though.

Back to top Go down

Post by bullsmommy1 Fri May 10 2013, 22:57

All right will do, thanks.
bullsmommy1
bullsmommy1

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Rupertsbooks Sat May 11 2013, 00:10

I add hemp seed oil to dog's food. You can get it from Tesco's. Has all the omegas in it and good substitute for fish. Have you tried feeding frozen fish to your dog? He may not like it, given he doesn't like tinned sardines but you could try fresh sardines cut into chunks. They can eat the bones raw. Run some warm water over it when you get it out of the freezer so there are no water crystals on it.

Some other things that occurred to me: Rupert sometimes gets a bit of dandruff. I think sometimes it is weather related. Long haired dogs are shedding like mad at the moment so perhaps it's just temporary - skin adjusting to sun. (Sun is good for dandruff apparently).

I don't shampoo Rupert unless he smells - so not very often. I think there is a delicate balance with the oils produced in their skin so washing is sometimes not a good idea. Flannel is good. Or a rinse?
Rupertsbooks
Rupertsbooks

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rupert
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 92

Back to top Go down

Post by Oswald Sat May 11 2013, 08:58

Oswald stinks how do you go with not bathing them! I leave it as long as I possibly can between baths but it gets to the point I can't let him in the same room because of the smell, I wash his bedding weekly but he has to be bathed at least once a fortnight-3 weeks or I can not be around him. Which is sad because he has no idea why mama is curling her nose and saying something about him being stinky.... I can see him looking at me like "what I smell fabulous!" But really....he stinks!
Oswald
Oswald
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Bad dandruff  Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Oswald
Dog(s) Ages : 31/10/12
Support total : 25

Back to top Go down

Post by bullsmommy1 Sat May 11 2013, 09:09

I'm going to out him back on his previous food. And see if he'll eat just a tiny bit of oily fish, if not I'll try ACV or salmon oil Smile I think I may of over bathed him, but atleast he smells lovely :/
bullsmommy1
bullsmommy1

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by StuW Sat May 11 2013, 10:46

Oswald wrote:Oswald stinks how do you go with not bathing them! I leave it as long as I possibly can between baths but it gets to the point I can't let him in the same room because of the smell, I wash his bedding weekly but he has to be bathed at least once a fortnight-3 weeks or I can not be around him. Which is sad because he has no idea why mama is curling her nose and saying something about him being stinky.... I can see him looking at me like "what I smell fabulous!" But really....he stinks!

Strangely enough bathing them often will make them smellier as there body works harder to produce the natural oils for his skin Smile just as the oils will be getting to a normalish level you are washing them off again so it all has to start again Laughing

Sierra hasn't had a bath in about 4-5 months Smile Bailey about the same maybe longer!
StuW
StuW

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 11 2013, 10:57

Agree with what the others have said really! You can try brushing him out and spraying him with Velvet Coat (the one with the Labrador smells best), it promotes a healthy, shiny coat by replenishing all the natural oils in the coat - it won't cure his dandruff but it might help and it's a good alternative to bathing him if he gets smelly! Just give him a quick brush and spray and he'll be smelling good for ages Love Struck It's what the kennels use, and what I use for my girl instead of bathing her! If I ever do bath her, I used shop brought stuff which did leave her coat very dry and dull looking; so personally I think if you're gonna bath your dog I'd use handmade dog soap! My aunty brought Eb some for Christmas and it's all natural and organic and you know all the ingredients in it, all for great coat results and it relaxes and soothes the skin! Probably the best thing I've used/brought grooming wise Smile The one we have is honey scented so she smells super scrummy and it doesn't lather up loads and get trapped in their coat! I don't know the branding but I can ask my aunty if you want to try it out Big Grin I hope he gets better soon though, it may just be because of the dry weather we've been having!

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Sat May 11 2013, 11:27

Maybe give all the shampoos a rest for a while and just rinse him in warm water. I wouldn't use a shampoo unless I need to, for instance if Rocky has rolled in something particularly smelly.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Rupertsbooks Sat May 11 2013, 11:38

Oswald wrote:Oswald stinks how do you go with not bathing them! I leave it as long as I possibly can between baths but it gets to the point I can't let him in the same room because of the smell, I wash his bedding weekly but he has to be bathed at least once a fortnight-3 weeks or I can not be around him. Which is sad because he has no idea why mama is curling her nose and saying something about him being stinky.... I can see him looking at me like "what I smell fabulous!" But really....he stinks!

Hello. I think Rupert does not smell because he is on a raw food diet. I would never have thought of putting him on one except that I was fostering a dog that was fed only raw tripe in kennels and he didn't smell at all - I have been told by other people that switching their dogs to raw made them smell less.

Rupert stank when I first got him, now he smells nice of "him" but I have asked fussy friends and they say he does not smell and nor does his "business" very much either. I think it makes sense as dog food stinks and so dog will start smelling as well. I suppose it's like when I eat garlic or curry or whatever. I always thought feeding animals anything but processed canned or dry food was spoiling them or treating them like humans, or else it would be very expensive but it is not that expensive as butchers give me lots of free bones and he can eat my left overs (which are not raw - i.e. spaghetti/carrots etc - but fine for him and healthy in moderation). I think some people I know still think I am spoiling my dog and maybe I am but I am beginning to think that dog food is a huge con - how can something in a tin be healthier than the original ingredients. Dog food was only invented by some American guy in the 1920s or something - I feel like when I was feeding my cats cat food I was actually totally brainwashed. They both died of cancer.

Having said that I am biased and I am sure you don't want a long boring note about raw food. Dog food is much improved these days and I am sure there are plenty of dogs who eat it who don't smell. Maybe it's the type of food you are feeding?

Plus: in the summer I suppose they smell a little more because of the heat.
Rupertsbooks
Rupertsbooks

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by bullsmommy1 Sat May 11 2013, 15:44

I don't use shampoo I often do just rinse him with warm water but I do sometimes use shampoo I use a brand called quistel which has improved his fur alot as before I used the shop stuff, I'm thinking maybe it's since I've changed his food? So I'll put him back on his other food and see if it helps,
bullsmommy1
bullsmommy1

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 11 2013, 16:04

Strangely enough, the more you bathe them the worse they smell! I think the bathing overstimulates the oil glands, and makes their skin itchy so that they roll in unmentionable cack over the park!

Dempsey gets bathed about 3 times a year (maximum), in fact he's due a bath this weekend! He gets one in the Spring (now), one in the summer (after our 2 weeks hols) and one just before Christmas.

Back to top Go down

Post by Oswald Sat May 11 2013, 23:35

So if I stop bathing him will he unstink himself??
Oswald
Oswald
Bad dandruff  Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Oswald Sat May 11 2013, 23:38

Rupertsbooks wrote:

Hello. I think Rupert does not smell because he is on a raw food diet. I would never have thought of putting him on one except that I was fostering a dog that was fed only raw tripe in kennels and he didn't smell at all - I have been told by other people that switching their dogs to raw made them smell less.

Rupert stank when I first got him, now he smells nice of "him" but I have asked fussy friends and they say he does not smell and nor does his "business" very much either. I think it makes sense as dog food stinks and so dog will start smelling as well. I suppose it's like when I eat garlic or curry or whatever. I always thought feeding animals anything but processed canned or dry food was spoiling them or treating them like humans, or else it would be very expensive but it is not that expensive as butchers give me lots of free bones and he can eat my left overs (which are not raw - i.e. spaghetti/carrots etc - but fine for him and healthy in moderation). I think some people I know still think I am spoiling my dog and maybe I am but I am beginning to think that dog food is a huge con - how can something in a tin be healthier than the original ingredients. Dog food was only invented by some American guy in the 1920s or something - I feel like when I was feeding my cats cat food I was actually totally brainwashed. They both died of cancer.

Having said that I am biased and I am sure you don't want a long boring note about raw food. Dog food is much improved these days and I am sure there are plenty of dogs who eat it who don't smell. Maybe it's the type of food you are feeding?

Plus: in the summer I suppose they smell a little more because of the heat.

Thanks We started Oswald on raw a few weeks ago so hopefully if I stop washing him things will sort itself? He will just have to get extra cuddles from everyone else for a while lol
Oswald
Oswald
Bad dandruff  Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Rupertsbooks Mon May 13 2013, 11:38

This is exciting! Let us know how it goes. Smoked mackerel leftovers are also good for them. I don't like mackerel skin so Rupert gets it.
Rupertsbooks
Rupertsbooks

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by StuW Mon May 13 2013, 11:53

Nothing 'smoked' should be given to dogs!!
StuW
StuW

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Rupertsbooks Mon May 13 2013, 11:59

Ok I take it back! He only gets the skins on the rare occasion I have mackerel. But yes I take it back! Frozen salmon.
Rupertsbooks
Rupertsbooks

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Oswald Wed May 15 2013, 12:17

Oswald got a whole salmon head for dinner the other night he thought it was Christmas! Loved it!
Oswald
Oswald
Bad dandruff  Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down