Is your Staffie protective around your kids?

4 posters

Go down

Is your Staffie protective around your kids? Empty Is your Staffie protective around your kids?

Post by Sookie Sun May 05 2013, 11:40

Is your staffie protective around your children?

I had always known Sookie got on with our little boy Rowan as since he was a baby has been very gentle around him, whined when he has been crying and been very patient when he comes and cuddles up next to her, etc?

However recently when out walking the 2 dogs (Sookie and our Jack Russell) with Rowan we walked past a Bull Mastiff. As we went past the bull mastiff growled and barked. Sookie went very very protective, snapped the lead out of my hand (she moved with some force) and swung around growling at the bull mastiff between me and the buggy. She didnt bite the dog or anything but seemed to give a clear warning if dogs can and once she had her say I got hold of the lead and went home.

I wondered afterwards why she acted this way and can only assume it was because Rowan was out with us. Normally if we meet a DA or noisy dog on a walk Sookie will walk past like our Jack Russell not interested so the only factor that changed was Rowan being with us. She has also walked past this bull mastiff before without any problems.

Any of you had similar experiences?

Sookie
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Sookie
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Is your Staffie protective around your kids? Empty Re: Is your Staffie protective around your kids?

Post by Guest Sun May 05 2013, 11:50

I don't have kids myself but Logan seems to be protective over females in general. Whether it's my Mum/Aunt when they visit or friends etc.

Not in an aggressive way but he like to stay close and seems to be over seeing them.

Back to top Go down

Is your Staffie protective around your kids? Empty Re: Is your Staffie protective around your kids?

Post by Sookie Sun May 05 2013, 11:57

Yeah Sookie is attentive when guests come round, says hello and then finds her favourite place on the sofa again to listen in on the conversations! It was a strange occurance with the other dog as normally she is not interested and was 90% past the dog when it barked and growled. Where we live is near a conservation area so meet lots of dogs and even a DA or noisy dog on lead doesnt get Sookie's back up which is why I think it was a protective action for Rowan.

Sookie

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Sookie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 05 2013, 12:06

I don't have kids, but Loki is protective if he sees anything he doesn't like (provided it doesn't scare him Rolling Eyes). They can be protective, and they know to be gentle around kids usually, so I think it makes sense she thought he needed protecting.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ceasar Sun May 05 2013, 12:45

Ceasar is very protective over my youngest son Cian (3).
When he is out with me he is not bothered by any dog but is Cian is there and especially if Cian is walking him
he will approach every dog and stick his head in their face.
He is follows Cian everywhere.

You can see them cuddling in my Avatar.
Ceasar
Ceasar
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Ceasar
Dog(s) Ages : 18 months
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 05 2013, 14:16

Yes darcy is very protective of the kids, Molly more so, which Molly loves Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by bexyboo Sun May 05 2013, 19:13

We always go on long walks as a family - us and 2 toddlers (normally meeting up with my dad or sister + their dogs)
If our kids run off playing on a field Bella will follow them until we get close Love Struck .
Our little girl went over her gran's for a sleep over on Friday... As soon as my hubby walked out the door with her Bella started Crying, scratching the door, Barking and In the end she just sat there watching the door lol. i've never had her do that before she is very protective Smile even if we're at home and there's a strange noise she turns into a guard dog barking and protecting the kids x
bexyboo
bexyboo

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bella
Dog(s) Ages : 4 months
Dog Gender(s) : Female

Back to top Go down

Post by aurora Mon May 06 2013, 03:11

I don't have kids but my OH's rescue Sophie is quite protective of him when he's sick. Keeps watch over him quite religiously. She likes to sleep between us and the bedroom door as well. It's not a staffy specific thing either; my English Pointer will break up play fights between myself and my OH or my sister and hers. If we (playfully) push them, he'll jump up on their chests (cause he's secretly a Great Dane) and woo woo wooorrrrrrrrr at them, then hop down. Dad tells me that when I was an infant, his dog wouldn't let any one other than mum or him pick me up.
aurora
aurora
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a civil partnership
Dogs Name(s) : Taco and Sophie
Dog(s) Ages : 8th of February 2013
Dog Gender(s) : Male; Female
Support total : 22

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down