protective?

5 posters

Go down

protective? Empty protective?

Post by laura-saff Thu Jan 06 2011, 12:32

Hi, new to this forum and also new to staffies! After being used to having only small terriers before now, myself and my boyfriend recently took on a family members 6 year old staff who the owners no longer had time for due to having two babies.

She had been previously babied all of her life so requires allot of attention! She's been great so far and loves cuddles and wants to sit next to you every moment of the day if she can, the only problem I am having now is she has to follow me everywhere, she is behind me constantly and if I'm not sat with her or paying her attention she whimpers and shakes. She stays with me in the shop below where we live during the day as she bashes doors open to get down to me, however she is very very good when she is there. Just again the whining and wanting to be on my knee becomes a problem.

My boyfriend is out most of the time and I walk her and feed her as I have read I should, but I don't know what else to do or if it is something I now cannot do anything about? Also I thought it might be protectiveness as when it gets dark and she hears the gate go she has started to bark and run to the door which she did not do before and does not do during the day, also she only does it with me, Im not used to this and am wondering if maybe I am doing something wrong as it seems to be getting worse and worse.

Sorry for the essay haha!! Just wanted to know if there was anything I can do to help the situation incase it gets worse.
Thanks! Laura
laura-saff
laura-saff
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : saffron (saffy)
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

protective? Empty Re: protective?

Post by Guest Thu Jan 06 2011, 12:42

Firstly, welcome to the forum!

You don't say exactly how long you've had Saffy, but if it's a recent thing, she could be anxious that she's going to be sent away again, and wants to keep you in sight. If that's the case, then you should see an improvement over the next few weeks. It can take a dog (especially an older dog) quite a while to settle in a new home & they can display signs of anxiety.

The barking may well be protectiveness, but the sticking with you constantly I shouldn't think is. Staffords are known to protect their loved ones, with their lives if necessary.

The problem at the moment is that you are encouraging the behaviour (with the best intentions) and it will become a habit. Try keeping some treats with you & if she gets too clingy toss a treat away from you & praise her when she goes to get it. Also, try taking her to a dog training club if there's one near you. It'll help her, being around other people & dogs, to build up her confidence.

Also, try leaving her in a closed room for a minute or two, and then return. But when you return, don't fuss her until she is calm, then gentle & quiet praise.

Back to top Go down

Post by laura-saff Thu Jan 06 2011, 13:33

Thanks for the fast reply!

We got her at the end of november, we cudnt even get her to play untill just recently, and we still hadn't heard her bark untill the last few weeks when she started listing out for the door or gate going. I dont mind the barking as much as I feel a lot safer now we have her, I was just worried as you pointed out that her being like a shadow was my encouraging, so I will try the tips that you have given me and get my boyfriend to do the same.

With regards to the dog classes, when we are out walking and she sees a dog she turns from being perfectly obedient to almost deaf and I cannot move her or get her attention back, weather were in the street or middle of the road. I had one occasion when it was icy and she almost pulled me over from dragging. I called a local dog training place and they suggested one on one classes to work on this and intoduced her to other dogs gradually and she seems to be getting allot better.

I think it may just take abit of time but I am a worrier and now feel allot better! Thanks for your help!
laura-saff
laura-saff

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : saffron (saffy)
Dog Gender(s) : female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 06 2011, 13:37

The one on one is great, & she'll benefit from it, but it might also help just to sit through a few sessions at a training club so that she gets used to the other dogs around her without you asking too much of her too soon.

Fingers crossed that everything works out - she sounds really sweet & she looks a beauty! Do you have any other pics we can see?

Back to top Go down

Post by Cornish-Muscle Thu Jan 06 2011, 14:00

I can't really comment on this that much, but my 1 year old is becoming like that, only this past week, she's become a little clingy. She's always barked if she heard the front gate go.

All I can say is, good luck! I'm sure she'll improve soon!
Cornish-Muscle
Cornish-Muscle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Molly
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Nosipho Thu Jan 06 2011, 15:07

It sounds as those saffy has mild seperation anxiety. As Caryll said she has only come into your home recently and is probably worrying that you will dissapear like her previous owners did.

The trick with seperation anxiety is don't fuss them when they are being nervous, ignore them. Don't even make eye contact, when you are settled and the dog decides to sit a little way away from you, then praise her by throwing her a treat. If she gets nervous/excited ignore her again and go back to what your doing. Also leaving them for very short periods and building it up (start with 1 minute and aim for 10minutes) can be relly helpful. When you start leaving her give her toys, chews and I find leaving the tv or radio on can calm them.

Shes just panicking that your not going to come back, this will improve as she settles in and become more relaxed.
Nosipho
Nosipho

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Skibadee, Tali, Kali-Mist, Nugget and Meg
Dog(s) Ages : 25/8/2005 - 01/10/2008 - 01/08/2012 - 23/10/2013992
Dog Gender(s) : All Girlies
Support total : 191

http://www.nosiphostaffords.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 06 2011, 18:11

You could possible teaching/telling her to stay while you move from room to room and praise when she gets it so she knows nothing bad is going to happen if she stays a few feet away from you.

Back to top Go down

Post by jaykay Thu Jan 06 2011, 21:36

my macks was like this when we got him from the rescue centre he was constantly at your feet and followed us everywhere we went it does get better with time i definatly think its them making sure you are not going to leave them .
jaykay
jaykay

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : macks
Dog Gender(s) : male

Back to top Go down

Post by gem Thu Jan 06 2011, 21:57

My 2 follow me everywere its just the way of the pack if the dominant one leaves the rest should follow. she is insecure and doesnt no were and why yet give her a little time to settle then take it from there
gem
gem

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : duke
Dog Gender(s) : dog
Support total : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content