raw dog poo ? / offal question

Go down

raw dog poo ? / offal question  Empty raw dog poo ? / offal question

Post by lexiepb Wed May 01 2013, 11:41

so im just wondering what constitutes a normal good raw dog poo i know they poo less etc i mean more colour wise

due to running out of dog food and money before being able to place a proper first raw order our staffs have bin on tripe for about 2 weeks (didnt want to have to give them reli cheep kibble so this was the next best option )

our first DAF raw food delivery arrived yesterday,
we are starting them out on their minced tripe and chicken to ween them in before becoming more adventurous with what we give them, and i also bought some mini roast shanks (wasnt sure if we would have the freezer space for raw so opted on the safe side just encase)

with the tripe their poo has bin reli dark brown almost black (more appealing than bright orange sludge that cheep kibble would have given them)

Also when we do start venturing out which is better kidney or liver as i plan on buying the DAF chunks, their advice was to split 1 of their chunks between my two over two days as its very rich and too much will give them sloppy poo

im planning to eventually keep the minced tripe and chicken but minus off a bit to add in other bits wings necks chunks of liver etc when we get more familiar with it and with what they like and how they respond to it,
so far they have bin going mad for the tripe, from a dog who wouldn't be that bothered about his kibble my boy goes insane at meal time,

:-) were getting their slowly lol xxx

lexiepb
lexiepb
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Ozzy & BOBO
Dog Gender(s) : boy and girl
Support total : 1

Back to top Go down

raw dog poo ? / offal question  Empty Re: raw dog poo ? / offal question

Post by Guest Wed May 01 2013, 12:06

The poo's about right for a tripe fed dog, although too much can sometimes make them a bit softer than other meats.

Don't forget to include the right amount of bone if you're feeding raw - it's essential.

Offal is any secreting organ (kidneys, liver, spleen etc) and should be fed quite sparingly. If you're just starting out you can hold off the offal for a week or two to get his stomach into the routine of raw feeding, then just add a small amount two or three of times a week.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 01 2013, 12:18

It should be good and firm to pick you without crumbling

But the colour depends on what you've fed, offal and tripe tend to give a really deep black colour, chicken makes it a more yellowy orange colour etc Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 01 2013, 12:23

iv had the crumbly poo when starting out so cut down on the bone abit and i add about 30/40grm of heart a day to his raw and a scoop of keepers mix and he seems to be regulated now and pooping fine

Back to top Go down

Post by lexiepb Wed May 01 2013, 12:28

poo is nice firm and small, my patio looks much better than when they wer on kibble and it was poo city within a few days lol

the chicken and tripe mince i bought from DAF is a mix of
whole Chickens, Wings, Legs, Beef, & Lamb Tripe they start on it tomorrow, had the normal just tripe today, from looking at the frozen blocks it looks roughly ground some chewey bits poking out etc but wont know till some has defrosted
i bought a months worth of this to get going while i get my head a bit more round the raw thing etc

I'm hoping to make the next months order a bit more chunky if that makes sence

could some one please explain something to me, the prey moddel site says chicken backs and quarters are good, i still have no idea what these are and havent bin able to find any on a whole sale site yet or a google image to show me so could i prospectively instead of getting the chicken tripe mix next time instead to make it a bit more crunchy and 3d for them buy the bits individually, so tripe, some chicken wings chicken necks and some kidney
would it be ok to stick with things like necks and wings as apposed to big chunks, i think it would be easier for me to distribuet the smallerish pieces and store, they have our entire freezer (fridge frezer) to store these bits,

also what would you recomend as the best type of bone to give them, i was looking at DAfs raw bones but wasnt sure which was best to opt for ,

ATM they have all their mince mix fed in the morning, and this is how i would like to keep things as it stops my girl from pooing in the house,
the roast mini shanks i have bought enough to give them one every 3 days as a treat this i hope to replace with somethign raw and a bit more fun next time to give them daily so they could have sa mince wings and necks in the mornign then a big bone like this for lunch http://www.daf-petfood.co.uk/daf-frozen-dog-foods/64-daf-mixed-raw-lamb-bones-5kg.html

i dont know which would be best though lanb beef or pork ?
with ideally giving them their main food in the mornign then a bone at lunch
lexiepb
lexiepb

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Ozzy & BOBO
Dog Gender(s) : boy and girl
Support total : 1

Back to top Go down