Taken Aback by Behaviour of 15 week puppy!

Go down

Taken Aback by Behaviour of 15 week puppy! Empty Taken Aback by Behaviour of 15 week puppy!

Post by claire Wed Mar 16 2011, 14:00

Hi there

Winnie is now 15 weeks old and so far she has been an absolute angel when meeting other dogs. Very submissive and friendly to all of them. Even the tiny chihwaua type dogs. until the other day! She was introduced for the first time to an 11 week old bitch staff who was extremely submissive and Winnie snapped at her! I couldn't believe it! This is actually the first puppy she has encountered that is younger than her. Looking back I probably should have been firmer with her. I tried holding her and giving her bottom to the puppy to sniff first, but that didn't work. How should I be handling these situations? In addition the other day, a big british bulldog came bounding up to my husband and jumped up at him and Winnie snapped at him aswell. I think though, that might have been her telling the dog off for jumping. What do you think?

claire
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Taken Aback by Behaviour of 15 week puppy! Empty Re: Taken Aback by Behaviour of 15 week puppy!

Post by Guest Wed Mar 16 2011, 14:04

The bulldog thing was probably a protection or jealousy reaction, and wouldn't have amounted to anything unless the other dog was nasty.

Introducing any dog to another can be a delicate affair! It should always be done slowly & calmly. Let both dogs sniff each others faces first & if that's ok loosen the leads slightly so they can sniff around a bit more.

She was probably being dominant over the youngster and putting it in its place. However, a lot of people wouldn't like that, so you should turn away with her, walk her a few paces and then turn back & start the introduction again. Stay calm throughout!

Back to top Go down

Taken Aback by Behaviour of 15 week puppy! Empty Re: Taken Aback by Behaviour of 15 week puppy!

Post by claire Wed Mar 16 2011, 14:10

Thanks. Its horrible though when your dog is mean to another that is clearly submissive and hasn't done anything wrong.

claire

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 16 2011, 14:13

It probably wasn't being mean as such, but just sorting out the hierarchy!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 20 2011, 09:14

Poor Winnie, hopefully she wont snap at another dog that puts her back into line. it is hard for them being that age and wanting to sort out their own place.
Like caryll said just be firm next time and walk away if she is naughty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down