Puppy behaviour

Go down

Puppy behaviour Empty Puppy behaviour

Post by amanda.bradley Wed Jun 12 2013, 21:29

Hi everyone,

Joey's been doing really well the last few weeks. His biting had calmed down a lot and he was getting on well with children. He was responding well to leave and drop and had stopped chewing most things in the house. He is now 17weeks old and just starting to teeth. The first couple of days i noticed blood on his toys and realised he was teething, there was not much difference in his behaviour at first, but the last couple of days he just seems to have turned into a different dog. He bit me really hard tonight on the back of my leg and drew blood. He's never bitten me that hard before. He's also gone really hyper like, running around jumping on the sofa, cabinets, chairs and chewing everything in sight. He's not listening to a thing we are saying and has started growling at us quite a lot.
Just wondering if this is normal behaviour because he's teething or is he pushing boundries cause he is getting older?.
amanda.bradley
amanda.bradley
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Joey
Dog(s) Ages : 13 month
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Puppy behaviour Empty Re: Puppy behaviour

Post by Guest Wed Jun 12 2013, 21:52

He's pushing it and you have to concentrate harder , this is normal roguish puppy behaviour .

What are you feeding him on and what is your exercise routine ?? Has anything else changed over the last few weeks

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 12 2013, 21:54

Sounds like he's seeing how far he can push you IMO. The biting and running around is most likely over excitment or an energy burst. It sounds like your doing well with his training so I would carry on with what your doing. 

The growling wont be aggressive, sounds like a typical pup! Joey just wants to see what he can get away with. I wouldnt worry.

Back to top Go down

Post by amanda.bradley Wed Jun 12 2013, 21:54

I feed him wainwrights biscuits and he has an hours walk a day. He does have a throat infection which i got tablets for yesterday.
amanda.bradley
amanda.bradley

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 12 2013, 21:59

amanda.bradley wrote:I feed him wainwrights biscuits and he has an hours walk a day. He does have a throat infection which i got tablets for yesterday.

When you say wainwrights biscuits I assume you mean Wainwrights puppy complete dry kibble ?? My 2 were both fed this at that age and did well on it , just checking you're not giving Bakers or something to make him hyper. Is it 1 big walk for an hour or is this total time

Rule of thumb should be 5 mins per month so he should only be having 20 mins on lead at 16 weeks + extending with off lead play in the park etc , and you can do this for up to 3 times a day realistically . How's the training class going ??

Back to top Go down

Post by amanda.bradley Wed Jun 12 2013, 22:05

Yeah wainwrights puppy kibble. He has 1 big hour walk then 10mins 2-3 times a day play in the garden. 
The training class is going well. He picks things up quite quickly and is doing well with leave, drop, stay, down and sit. 
He also does well with recall aswell.
amanda.bradley
amanda.bradley

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 12 2013, 22:12

An hour is probably too long at his age - if you can, you'd be better off giving him 3 half hour walks with a bit of off lead play.

It certainly doesn't help that he's teething; he's pushing the boundaries and he's in a bit of discomfort with his gums poor soul. Have you tried giving him a dampened & then frozen tea towel to chew on (supervised of course)? The cold will ease his gums & the material will give him something to chew on and loosen his puppy teeth.

Back to top Go down

Post by amanda.bradley Wed Jun 12 2013, 22:22

Thank you ill try that. Yeah i also put some wet kibble in his kong and freeze it aswell, this seems to help a bit.
amanda.bradley
amanda.bradley

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down