Barking Help?

3 posters

Go down

Barking Help? Empty Barking Help?

Post by kc Mon Apr 15 2013, 04:13

Hello Everyone Big Grin

I have been unwell so sorry for not visiting here as often as i'd like too!!

I have a question about Duke Barking. He seems to do it most when either we are not paying attention to him (which we are trying to ignore so he knows it wont get him anywhere, and if it gets really bad then time out)

The one i am having trouble with is while we are eating. He barks and barks and barks and ignoring him doesnt work as he keeps going and going and time out is fine, but once he is let out he is right back at it.

I am also trying to teach the quiet command and its the only thing he hasn't picked up quickly. I will persevere with all this just thought someone might have another thing to try? He seems to like the sound of his own voice ALOT

Any advise (thanks in advance from my headaches Laughing ?

THANKS

Casey
kc
kc
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Barking Help? Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Duke
Dog(s) Ages : 07/01/2013
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 57

Back to top Go down

Barking Help? Empty Re: Barking Help?

Post by Guest Mon Apr 15 2013, 09:26

Are you or have you been feeding him when you are eating? We taught Suki the quiet command with treats. Everytime she would bark we would say quiet and as soon as she stopped we gave her a treat.

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Mon Apr 15 2013, 10:11

Not one I can help with I am affraid, Moo doesn't bark at all, as J said can you teach the quiet command?
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by kc Mon Apr 15 2013, 10:51

I am trying the quiet command now. I did feed him once but stopped after as I thought about it after. He was barking before I did tho. Lets hope the quiet works otherwise sales of paracetamol will go up with my headache haha
kc
kc
Barking Help? Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 15 2013, 10:54

Logan was and still is at sometimes awful for barking. It was his number 1 bad behaviour as a pup, it is very frustrating.

What I do when he starts is immediately take him upstairs and put him in the bedroom for a few minutes to calm down, then when I open the door to let him out and make him sit/paw/down (that's all the ticks he knows Laughing ) and then let him back downstairs for being a good boy.

Sometimes though if I can catch him very quickly, before he starts, saying "no" in the right tone interupts him and he stops also.

Back to top Go down

Post by kc Mon Apr 15 2013, 11:16

Thanks mat, It is frustrating as its soo loud for such a little puppy!! I think he's doing it for attention tonight so we are doing our best to ignore him/time out as it seems trying the quiet command is giving him the attention he wants and making it worse (barking got alot worse in the last 20 mins of trying) he's such a clever cookie and already has sit, lay down, paw, roll over, commando crawl and up. Hopefully he cottons on to this soon enough!!
kc
kc
Barking Help? Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 15 2013, 11:28

Yea they def are born with a high volume lol!

It is def for attention and a lot of the time boredom with pups, they are very needy at times lol! Putting him in the next room for example seems to really work. He'll cry for the first while but will eventually realise that if he barks he will be put away from the group and because he wants attention he will work out, "if I'm good I get attention but when I'm bad and bark they will put me away."

Back to top Go down

Post by Robyn2202 Mon Apr 15 2013, 11:58

Zeke is the same and not only is it barking its funny noises like crying, howling all sorts of weird noises, drives me insane sometimes. Now when we eat they go in their beds until we are finished. We do not talk to Zeke when he cries or barks but as soon as he is quiet he gets rewarded. Zeke barks every morning too to wake me up Crying or Very sad . Silly dog but good luck in trying to get the barking to stop. I suspect this is quite a hard thing to overcome.
Robyn2202
Robyn2202
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Zeke
Dog(s) Ages : 1 year & 3 months
Support total : 13

Back to top Go down

Post by kc Mon Apr 15 2013, 12:31

I don't mind the weird silly staffy noises I actually love them but the ear splitting barking is painful! I will keep trying and update you on what helped (if anything does ha)
kc
kc
Barking Help? Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down