if you feed cooked home made food to your dogs

4 posters

Go down

if you feed cooked home made food to your dogs Empty if you feed cooked home made food to your dogs

Post by lexiepb Thu Apr 04 2013, 13:37

what kinda stuff to do you give them ?
i like the idea of raw but really dont know if i can handle it myself, i also dont think my boy will like it as hes a bit of a sissy plus i have 10 month twins so cant reli be having my dogs dragging animal entrails all over the house as i dont want my girls near that stuff at their age

so although raw is best im thinking i might have to go back to my origianl idea of cooking them something once a week in bulk,

eitehr way i just had to buy an emergency bag of sainsburys biscuit... my boys in his ellement he loves * dog food however i hate them eating that crap

dose any one have a good recepie ? something avoiding yeast triggers, potatoes grains etc xxx
lexiepb
lexiepb
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Ozzy & BOBO
Dog Gender(s) : boy and girl
Support total : 1

Back to top Go down

if you feed cooked home made food to your dogs Empty Re: if you feed cooked home made food to your dogs

Post by janey Thu Apr 04 2013, 13:39

I could be wrong but I think the reason you feed raw is so they get all the supplements rather than cooking it which boils it out, and bones can't be given cooked, so as a treat its ok but not a full time diet Xx
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

if you feed cooked home made food to your dogs Empty Re: if you feed cooked home made food to your dogs

Post by lexiepb Thu Apr 04 2013, 13:42

i was always thinking of some meat mince / chunks with wome vegies or something in a tub and then a daily bone or something,

i really dont know and trying to figure this out is hurting my head lol
its very ahrd atm trying to find the time to do the research and work out what i want to do with my girls to look after and my husband always at work

i just need some oen to tell me what to do like instructions cos i genuinley dont have the time, ive had 5 minutes to sit down between the cahos of life to try and figure out some more and now my girls are waking up from their nap

i just dont want to keep putting it off and feeding them * becuase i dont have the time to research how to do thigs right all i know is i dont want them eating kibble anymore xx
lexiepb
lexiepb

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Thu Apr 04 2013, 13:46

I only feed kibble so I'm not going to be much help, you can buy raw mince but then you will still need to supplement with offal/tripe, but again I haven't a clue on RAW Xx

You may find it easier if you find a good quality kibble that suits your busy lifestyle Xx
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by lexiepb Thu Apr 04 2013, 13:47

if say i cant hack doing the raw thing,
what about giving them the minced stuff, ive seen like minced chicken or mixes of animals minced and bones along side that,

i just really cant do things like heads, necks, spines, trotters,
orangs are pushing it for me

bones are ok and meat in general are ok

i really really respect people who do this raw lark xx
lexiepb
lexiepb

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by lexiepb Thu Apr 04 2013, 13:49

do you know any good kibbles,
its cos i need to help my girl with her yeast issues
so avoiding things like grains, potatoes etc keeping it as basic as possiblem and everything ive found seems to eitehr have nice or potato in
and i know my dogs will eat raw mince as ive bought the blocks at the pet store of tripe and fish before and they loved it, but thats apparently loaded with water and salt and not good qality

reli gotta go now xxx
lexiepb
lexiepb

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Thu Apr 04 2013, 13:50

As I said I can't really help, from what I hear the raw mince is fine but you still have to supplement it other things, I personally don't have the time or space to feed it, I would if I could but Moo does fine on kibble and the odd bone Xx
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 04 2013, 13:52

Have you asked your vet if they can recommend a food? There are a variety of hypoallergenic foods out there. We had to search and experiment for awhile before we found what was right for Suki.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 04 2013, 13:55

The home cooked diet is very complicated with supplements needed etc because as it's cooked a lot is lost in the process. I do feed a bit of cooked mince with Logans kibble along with boiled veggies and a few extras like olive oil, apple cider vinegar, yumove.

James Wellbeloved is the kibble I use and it's a great all rounder. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by StuW Thu Apr 04 2013, 15:19

Raw is much easier to feed than a cooked diet!

You can feed minces alone but you won't get the teeth cleaning benefits or the mental stimulation a dog gets from working on a chunk of meat or bone. Give it a break from researching for a week and then start reading up about it again, you're doing what I did at the start and over thinking it!
StuW
StuW

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Bailey, Sierra
Dog(s) Ages : 8th Sep 2011, 12th Sept 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 154

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 04 2013, 15:51

If you haven't got the time to do the research then I would suggest you just stick to a good kibble and leave it at that Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackieb Thu Apr 04 2013, 16:01

Get some Apple Cider Vinegar for ur girl it will help/cure her yeast issues.

One tablespoon a day in her food.

I buy it from eBay. 'Braggs Apple Cider Vinegar'
Jackieb
Jackieb
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel & Tank
Dog(s) Ages : Diesel - May 2011. Tank - March 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Girl & Boy
Support total : 245

Back to top Go down

Post by lexiepb Thu Apr 04 2013, 19:55

i was putting cider vin in with her water but ran out and forgot to buy more, i do have a big bottle of vin and water solution for washing her feat

i spoke to DAF earlier for their advice and they said a tripe chicken mince mix would be a good place to start and would give them everything they nutitionally need, it has the right ratio of meat bone and offal

so im thinking i might give that a go as that way their getting raw meat without the mess and confusion and i can work up from that, i would also give them a small bone a day for fun, DAF suggested chicken wings or lamb bones

so im thinking ill do that as a starting point just to get them on something healthy and work from their Smile

BTW my two wer on welbeloved, but it had rice or potato in cant remember which one, then we moved to a human grade ingredient all natural duck and potato which was reli good quality and nice but that has potato in something i didnt know was bad for yeast issues thats why we moved from rice to potato in the first place, its so confusing, and our vets are about as usefull as a chocolate tea spoon, telling me to put her on steroids and all the foods they suggested had a grain in any way !!! ive given up on vets lol i much prefer forums their so much more usefull

thanks for all the replies btw Smile xx
lexiepb
lexiepb

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down