The snip

Go down

The snip Empty The snip

Post by shazney Wed Apr 03 2013, 23:57

Have been told by the vet to get bruno the snip at 6 months old as it will help with his testorone levels and calm him down, i was going to wait till he was 18 months but i really might do it earlier as hes just so crazy, i know hes a pup but the dog gets turned on by bones and i am sure he thinls he can fly, he can nearly jump a room, he needs calming down bigtime....any advice?
shazney
shazney
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
The snip Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Bruno
Dog(s) Ages : 10 wks
Dog Gender(s) : Boy
Support total : 19

Back to top Go down

The snip Empty Re: The snip

Post by Guest Thu Apr 04 2013, 00:50

This is a hot topic Wink Do your research first.. There is no proof that the snip will calm him down in anyway, and it could cause more problems than it fixes. Vets are always pushing for spay/neuter at 6 months old. Personally I think 18-24 months is a lot better, but it is a personal choice. have a read of this and do a little research before you make up your mind Big Grin

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/t12762-long-term-health-risks-and-benefits-associated-with-spay-neuter-in-dogs?highlight=neuter

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 04 2013, 03:46

Read the link Kylie posted for information on the pros and cons. Also, I personally feel like neutering to calm a dog down is the lazy option. Please don't take offence to this, I've always thought it was an acceptable way to calm a dog down in the past, so I don't mean it in an insulting way. But you can calm down your dog (to an extent) with training. When Bruno gets older he'll calm down a bit, even Loki's calmed down enough to just lounge about the house and enjoy affection rather than run around like he used to. But also more exercise (when he's old enough to do more), training and mental stimulation can help calm him down.

There's also this video to show how to calm dogs around food. I've been doing it myself Smile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wesm2OpE_2c

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 04 2013, 11:50

I don't neuter unless it's a medical necessity. I doesn't calm a dog down, not in an excess energy sort of way.

I would always advise training, good food (without additives like E numbers and cereals) and plenty of exercise & mental stimulation do the job far better that neutering, and leave a much more fit & contented dog.

One last thing - neutering early will not only result in a taller, narrower dog (as the growth plates take longer to close), but could also leave you with a dog that has a permanent puppy mentality because they've never had that release of hormones that allows them to mature mentally and physically.

Most vets push for an early neutering & will tell you of all the pros, but will not give you the full facts including the cons - and there are many!

Have a read of the link posted by Kylie and have a good long think about it!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 04 2013, 12:00

shazney wrote:... and i am sure he thinls he can fly...

Phaha this made me chuckle!

I agree with the above. Do your research as it has its pros and cons Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by shazney Mon Apr 15 2013, 05:37

I am so confused, i want to wait till hes older i really do, i will look at the link tomorrow, my heads not in the right place at the moment...

PUPPIES arggggh.
shazney
shazney
The snip Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by shazney Mon Apr 15 2013, 07:56

I have read the article and i am thinking of leaving it for now, it seems to be more negitives then positives.
shazney
shazney
The snip Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 15 2013, 08:23

Caryll wrote:I don't neuter unless it's a medical necessity. I doesn't calm a dog down, not in an excess energy sort of way.

I would always advise training, good food (without additives like E numbers and cereals) and plenty of exercise & mental stimulation do the job far better that neutering, and leave a much more fit & contented dog.

One last thing - neutering early will not only result in a taller, narrower dog (as the growth plates take longer to close), but could also leave you with a dog that has a permanent puppy mentality because they've never had that release of hormones that allows them to mature mentally and physically.

Most vets push for an early neutering & will tell you of all the pros, but will not give you the full facts including the cons - and there are many!

Have a read of the link posted by Kylie and have a good long think about it!

I agree with Caryll, I don't neuter either. However some do and that is ok too I guess as long as it's a personal decision and not forced upon.

Don't be pressured to do anything by your vet to do with neutering, it isn't a necessity.

I feel personally that 6 months is far too young though, at 6 months old my Logan was still a baby.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 15 2013, 08:37

I was in the same dilemma with Vinnie as he wwas an absolute fire cracker! but after looking at pros and cons and great advice from the forum, I decided not to have him done. Anyway he is now 20 months old and plenty of exercise and mental stimulation he has calmed down considerably. So do think about it seriously. Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 15 2013, 08:39

Just so long as its your decision like mat says, think long and hard, do your research Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 15 2013, 08:43

shazney wrote:I have read the article and i am thinking of leaving it for now, it seems to be more negitives then positives.

Most of Logan's behaviour issues were sorted with a training lead and a big field. Get them good and tired each day and everything else is a lot more straightforward.

If you feel at some stage you want to neuter that's ok, a lot of our members have done it. Just do it on your own decision and nobody elses. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by shazney Tue Apr 16 2013, 09:53

I think 6 months is a bit young also so i may leave it, i not happy with the idea that castration may keep them in puppy mode for sure, i don't want unwanted pregnancys though, there is a bitch staf next door and i don't know if shes spayed and this boy can jump, wont be long before he can jump the 6 foot fence, i will see how it goes as alot of people have advised me to get him done on other sites, i will defo wait till hes older though, thanks.
shazney
shazney
The snip Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 16 2013, 10:04

If there's a risk of potential unwanted pups it's the one of the only times I'd promote neutering.

Just avoid the situation though, watch him when he's outside as always and just never let him approach dogs without checking with the owner first. It's also worth asking if the other dog is spayed.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 16 2013, 16:32

I don't neuter my dogs unless medically they need it like caryll

It is also not guaranteed to calm him down one bit, and can change their personality for the worse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down