SKIN, SCABS, ITCHY

3 posters

Go down

SKIN, SCABS, ITCHY Empty SKIN, SCABS, ITCHY

Post by Rye.rinaldo Mon Mar 11 2013, 07:59

Hi Everyone,

I have just joined, I have 8 month English staffy, her name is Porscha and is the love of my life!

She was a rescue pup, when I first brought her home she started losing hair on her head. I took her to the vet and after a skin scrap, the vet advised it was Mange. She was then put on weekly injections (I can't remember the name). Thankfully after 8 weeks another scrap test was done and the Mange were gone.

Porscha is on monthly tablets (Sentinel) this prevents heartworm infection, roundworm, whipworm, hookworm and tapeworm also prevents and controls fleas longterm and controls flea allergy dermatits.

Recently, over the last month or so I have noticed, she has been itchy quite a lot and licking and biting her feet/legs.

she has started getting scabs on her back and fur loss around the areas, I'm really worried as I can imagine how uncomfortable this could be for her. I'm planning on taking her to the vet or having our home vet come and have a look.

I have thought of allergies, and have tried different dog foods and get the quality food. I have recently started feeding her more a raw diet but have not yet noticed a difference. I also bath her weekly in a Medicated shampoo and have a leave on conditioner with oatmeal (Which smells amazing)

If anyone has had the same issue or any ideas I would be so appreciative.
Rye.rinaldo
Rye.rinaldo
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Porscha
Dog(s) Ages : 8 Months
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

SKIN, SCABS, ITCHY Empty Re: SKIN, SCABS, ITCHY

Post by Guest Mon Mar 11 2013, 08:02

Welcome to the forum!

A few members have had issues with mange and it seems to be common enough in the breed sadly. What colour is your dog?

Logan had a small issue with his skin a few months back but after a bit of treatment from the vet it cleared up. I was advised though to avoid grains from his diet. Apple cider vinegar seems to be very good for their skin too.

Other members will have had more experience and will help more Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 11 2013, 08:03

Back to top Go down

Post by Rye.rinaldo Mon Mar 11 2013, 08:23

Thank you Smile

Porscha is brindle
Rye.rinaldo
Rye.rinaldo

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 11 2013, 08:24

I've just seen your avatar she looks lovely. Smile

You will find good advice on here. Have a look through the forum, there are a few similar stories in the health section etc that might help

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 11 2013, 09:59

Hi and welcome Big Grin My girl also suffers from a lot of skin problems Rolling Eyes She is greatly improved on a Raw diet, but also we have had a lot of rain and then hot days which has made for a perfect insect breeding ground, we have heaps of march flys, mosquitoes and bees/wasps etc.. Could she be getting bitten by some of these?? Steff has got bitten quite a lot lateley and comes up in itchy lumps that she scratches and turns into sores, she also loses the hair around them from scratching at them.. I give her 1 Claratyne antihistamine at the end of every day, this stops the itching and swelling and prevents her turning them into sores Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 11 2013, 10:21

Like Mat suggested, apple cider vinegar has been known to help a lot with skin problems. If there's an underlying cause it won't take it away, but could help with the symptoms.

Porscha is gorgeous Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rye.rinaldo Mon Mar 11 2013, 10:43

Thankyou for your response!! It's so appreciated! I will defiantly try the vinegar.
We are current experiencing a heat wave and tropical like weather so it is a high possibility that she has been bitten, I know I have, specially by Mosquitos! I hope that's what it is, at least I can prevent her being uncomfortable Smile

I think my mum is going to take her to the vet just to be safe, we just noticed pimple like spots on her chest & groin area!

Also one more question, I know dogs don't have sweat glands where we do but she is always very moist under her arms like she is sweating and a odure comes from it, does anyone else have the same issues?

Thankyou again Smile
Rye.rinaldo
Rye.rinaldo

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Mon Mar 11 2013, 10:43

I hope you can get to the bottom of Porcha's skin problems, I have heard others have great success with the cider apple vinegar, if all else fails maybe give it a go.
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 11 2013, 10:44

Hi and welcome from us and Suki

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 11 2013, 10:47

Rye.rinaldo wrote:Also one more question, I know dogs don't have sweat glands where we do but she is always very moist under her arms like she is sweating and a odure comes from it, does anyone else have the same issues?

Most of the dog's sweat glands are located around his/her foot pads. It's unlikely this is sweat but possibly something to do with the other issues mentionned. I've heard of dogs seeming to sweat when they have problems with glands etc. Your vet would know a lot more about this though Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rye.rinaldo Mon Mar 11 2013, 10:57

MatLogan wrote:
Rye.rinaldo wrote:Also one more question, I know dogs don't have sweat glands where we do but she is always very moist under her arms like she is sweating and a odure comes from it, does anyone else have the same issues?

Most of the dog's sweat glands are located around his/her foot pads. It's unlikely this is sweat but possibly something to do with the other issues mentionned. I've heard of dogs seeming to sweat when they have problems with glands etc. Your vet would know a lot more about this though Smile

Thankyou again! I will have her checked just to be safe Smile I will let everyone know how she goes!
Rye.rinaldo
Rye.rinaldo

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Rye.rinaldo Mon Mar 11 2013, 10:59

Kylie wrote:Hi and welcome Big Grin My girl also suffers from a lot of skin problems Rolling Eyes She is greatly improved on a Raw diet, but also we have had a lot of rain and then hot days which has made for a perfect insect breeding ground, we have heaps of march flys, mosquitoes and bees/wasps etc.. Could she be getting bitten by some of these?? Steff has got bitten quite a lot lateley and comes up in itchy lumps that she scratches and turns into sores, she also loses the hair around them from scratching at them.. I give her 1 Claratyne antihistamine at the end of every day, this stops the itching and swelling and prevents her turning them into sores Smile

Thankyou for your help!! The Claratyne antihistamine, is this the same one humans take... Sorry might be a dumb question lol
Rye.rinaldo
Rye.rinaldo

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by rebeccaleanne Mon Mar 11 2013, 14:19

hi and welcome again
poor little girly, with regards to skin problems im not that well in the how but everyone has given you some fab advice and and i would deff try the apple cider vinegar. or i would again try the vets if its been consistent. sorry i couldnt be much help but please keep us updated Big Grin

rebeccaleanne
rebeccaleanne

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Tyke
Dog(s) Ages : 4
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 293

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 12 2013, 00:04

Rye.rinaldo wrote:
Kylie wrote:Hi and welcome Big Grin My girl also suffers from a lot of skin problems Rolling Eyes She is greatly improved on a Raw diet, but also we have had a lot of rain and then hot days which has made for a perfect insect breeding ground, we have heaps of march flys, mosquitoes and bees/wasps etc.. Could she be getting bitten by some of these?? Steff has got bitten quite a lot lateley and comes up in itchy lumps that she scratches and turns into sores, she also loses the hair around them from scratching at them.. I give her 1 Claratyne antihistamine at the end of every day, this stops the itching and swelling and prevents her turning them into sores Smile

Thankyou for your help!! The Claratyne antihistamine, is this the same one humans take... Sorry might be a dumb question lol

Yes exactly the same Big Grin You can but doggy ones from the vet but they are triple the price and exact same thing Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down