+2
janey
firefly26
6 posters

Go down

help plz, with house training Empty help plz, with house training

Post by firefly26 Tue Mar 05 2013, 18:59

hi
our lil man kaos is now 14wks and not house trained, hes been with us for nearly 5 wks from day 1 we have had paper down in the kitchen and instantly put him it as soon as he stoops to wee, he very rearly stays there to finish, we give him praise when he gets it right, but most of the time its pure luck that he was on the paper at the time he wants to wee. the last 2 days when hes come into the front room hes jumped onto our (mine&kaos Smile) chair and weed Sad thought hed get the hang of this by now,poos are the same just goes werever he wants, where am we going wrong.
firefly26
firefly26
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : kaos
Dog(s) Ages : 14 wks 3days
Dog Gender(s) : lil man
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

help plz, with house training Empty Re: help plz, with house training

Post by janey Tue Mar 05 2013, 19:05

How often do you take him out? I have never been a fan of paper training, garden from day 1, every half hour, lots of praise when the business is done, and lots of patience whilst you wait Smile
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by firefly26 Tue Mar 05 2013, 19:14

when we 1st had him snow was on the grownd so couldnt clean outside etc as kaos hadent had his jabs didnt want him to "catch anything" as our area is full off cats foxes etc, so its been 2wks since we were able to take him out, he goes for walkies 2-3 aday at moment around 30 min each, and now outside is clearnhe,ll be out evey 40 mis or so.
firefly26
firefly26

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Tue Mar 05 2013, 19:23

Keep doing that and he will soon catch on, some take longer than others and its very early days Xx
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by stella Tue Mar 05 2013, 19:43

he is still only a baby and will have accidents,just clean them up and ignore them,as Janey said try taking him out in the garden every half an hour,after he has eaten/had a drink and wait for him to go and lots of praise after he has,he'll soon get there with it Big Grin
stella
stella
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : sasha
Dog(s) Ages : 15years RIP
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 1747

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 05 2013, 21:26

Agree with Janey and Stella, he's still a baby (not what you wanted to hear, I should think!) and is only doing it because he knows no better!

Every half an hour or so, pop him into the garden and use a 'trigger' word like "Wees" or "Pee" or something like that. The second he pees or poos, give him praise & use the trigger word. If he has an accident indorrs, just ignore it, pop him outside again & then clear up the accident thoroughly, leaving no smell behind (a solution of biological washing powder or liquid is good for getting rid of the smell of pee/poo).

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 05 2013, 21:53

Sorry i'm not contradicting you caryll, just wanted to make the point of praising when they have finished, not as soon as they start or it might distract them and they might get confused and think you want them to pee all the time! lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 05 2013, 21:54

Hayley wrote:Sorry i'm not contradicting you caryll, just wanted to make the point of praising when they have finished, not as soon as they start or it might distract them and they might get confused and think you want them to pee all the time! lol

thumbs up

Back to top Go down

Post by shazney Wed Mar 06 2013, 00:19

I use puppy training pads which contain a smell, I suppose a urine smell. They may hep you.
shazney
shazney
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
help plz, with house training Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Bruno
Dog(s) Ages : 10 wks
Dog Gender(s) : Boy
Support total : 19

Back to top Go down

Post by Panda Wed Mar 06 2013, 09:51

It can be difficult training some puppies, dogs do not like going to the toilet indoors because they do not like soiling their nest or surroundings, but often they have no alternative and then get very confused. Take him into the garden after every meal, and when he goes give lots of praise. Problems arise when owners have no gardens and cannot easily take their pups outside because of fear of infection, so they resort to paper pads. Not a bad thing but should not have to be used when the dog is grown.
Panda
Panda
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Solomon
Dog(s) Ages : 3 years
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 58

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 06 2013, 10:36

shazney wrote:I use puppy training pads which contain a smell, I suppose a urine smell. They may hep you.

I tried one of those when Dempsey was 8 weeks old. He ate it!

Panda wrote:It can be difficult training some puppies, dogs do not like going to the toilet indoors because they do not like soiling their nest or surroundings, but often they have no alternative and then get very confused.

Young, untrained puppies don't care where they toilet as long as it isn't their bed - and even then some don't care!

They just need regular trips into the garden, or to one specific place in the house if you don't have a garden, where peeing/pooing is allowed & then praise when they hit the right spot. If there are any accidents, then they should be ignored & cleaned up with a suitable cleaner.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 06 2013, 10:47

I know it can be frustrating but if you consistently use the advise given, eventually it will just click.. Believe me, I thought we were getting nowhere with toilet training, and literally in 1 day she just started to "ask" to go out to toilet.. With some dogs it just takes patience and persistence and they just work out what they are suppose to do Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by reuben Wed Mar 06 2013, 12:54

Have to agree with above advice. We are lucky to have a back door directly on to our garden and we popped him out every hour or so as well as after sleep, play, eating etc. plus his walks. It is important to go out with the pup and not just let him out, as he needs to be given lots of praise and the trigger word ( we used " clean boy "). Within a week he was only having the occasional accident when we didn't spot the signs.
reuben
reuben
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Bacchus ( The Wee Man )
Dog(s) Ages : Born 18/07/12
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 166

Back to top Go down

Post by firefly26 Wed Mar 06 2013, 15:00

thank you for the advice, will keep on at it,, used puppy pads to start with aswell as paper but just riped thse to shreds so gave up lol,, i do dake him on the lead to "mess" outside aswell as looseing him for a fun and give the commands as "wee" "poo" and lots of praise when he goes..

on a good note had to leave him alone today was gone just over 2hours plenty of paper down, taken out b4 i left him n came bk to both poop n wee on paper Smile good job brought him a new toy aswell for being a good boy,
firefly26
firefly26

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 06 2013, 15:09

They do get there in the end - consistency & praise will normally get them right!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down