youngkaiser
Steve
janey
11 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Dempsey Empty Dempsey

Post by Guest Wed Sep 15 2010, 23:23

This is my new boy...............Dempsey aka Frachadem Thrilla in Manila!

Dempsey Moto_0397

Dempsey Moto_0390-1-1

Dempsey Moto_0329-1

Back to top Go down

Dempsey Empty Re: Dempsey

Post by janey Thu Sep 16 2010, 00:56

what a babe x
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Thu Sep 16 2010, 08:13

Big Grin Dempsey is a good loook lad

Steve

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 16 2010, 09:26

Thanks! We love him!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 16 2010, 13:53

l-o-v-e
Im in love! Im a complete sucker for bullies! Kaos was supposed to be a bully but circumstances ment that we took on another staffie.....i just dont think my house is big enough for another dog Crying or Very sad
I would love to see loads of pics!
x

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 16 2010, 14:02

Bullies are WAY more difficult to keep than Staffords! I know people will disagree with that, but that's what I've found & I had Staffords for 20 years, nearly!

Dempsey is extremely dominant so although he's friendly enough, other dogs have only got to stare at him & he gets very uppity! They're BIG as well - Dempsey is nearly 26 kilos & hasn't finished growing yet. Oh, and compared to Staffords they're really REALLY thick!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Thu Sep 16 2010, 14:47

i always had an soft spot for bull terrier good looking dogs how tall do they get?

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by youngkaiser Thu Sep 16 2010, 20:46

aww a really gd looking lad id love one of these too but i struggle walking staffies lol never mind one of them there huge
youngkaiser
youngkaiser

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Kaiser
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 22

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 16 2010, 20:53

Steve wrote:i always had an soft spot for bull terrier good looking dogs how tall do they get?

I just replied to this, but it didn't come up! Anyway................

Dempsey's around 26" at the shoulder & weighs about 26 kilos. He's also immensley strong. I used to think you'd never better a stafford in the strength/size ratio, but I recon a bully comes real close.

Dempsey's what I'd call a middleweight, but you can get terrier types & bully types just as you do in staffords. Here are a couple of pics of his dad, who's more of a 'bully' type................

Dempsey Rileyfronton1
Dempsey LatinLover-1

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Thu Sep 16 2010, 22:49

Caryll wrote:Bullies are WAY more difficult to keep than Staffords! I know people will disagree with that, but that's what I've found & I had Staffords for 20 years, nearly!

Dempsey is extremely dominant so although he's friendly enough, other dogs have only got to stare at him & he gets very uppity! They're BIG as well - Dempsey is nearly 26 kilos & hasn't finished growing yet. Oh, and compared to Staffords they're really REALLY thick!!!!

Lol x so true x
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 17 2010, 16:42

amazing how broad he is across the chest he the double of his dad.
and i cant believe you called him thick bless him Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 18 2010, 09:51

bigwazza wrote:

Unfortunately, he IS! I mean, he'll head butt a door to get in the room & will keep head-butting it if it's closed! Even now, at 16 months old he hasn't worked out that our back gate opens INWARDS - he always wants to, you guessed it, HEAD BUTT IT!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 18 2010, 13:12

what a cracker lovely dog

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Sat Sep 18 2010, 16:01

Caryll wrote:
bigwazza wrote:

Unfortunately, he IS! I mean, he'll head butt a door to get in the room & will keep head-butting it if it's closed! Even now, at 16 months old he hasn't worked out that our back gate opens INWARDS - he always wants to, you guessed it, HEAD BUTT IT!

That had me in stitches!!
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 18 2010, 18:16

lol know what you mean with head butting bit.
Blue does simular stuff.....he keeps going into the youngest daughters bedroom....turns round and shuts the door then 1 min later wines and head butts it cos he can't get out.......im like well stop bloody shutting it.....has he learn't after doing it 30 times now....no lol.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 19 2010, 03:46

i heard a story about a bully doing that kind of thing could not regester that the patio door was actully solid and he would just keep headbutting untill he aventully cracked the glass there heads are just like a battering ram awsome
which i dont think there thick just so determand

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 21 2010, 12:26

Believe me, their heads are like solid iron! Dempsey's given me several fat lips & 3 black eyes just cause I was silly enough to bend down to stroke him & he head butted me! >Smile

I think he does it as a sign of affection! Love Struck

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Tue Sep 21 2010, 15:31

l-o-v-e Dempsey i love his stand giggle hes a right show off

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 21 2010, 15:57

Ha!!! Wish he'd stand like that in the sgow ring! Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Tue Sep 21 2010, 16:03

lmao do you show him all the time or just now and then?

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 21 2010, 16:10

Shown him 5 times since last November, so not exactly regular! He's done pretty well (been placed each time including a first) but he's not champion material & we'll probably stop when he gets to about 2 years old & we can see how he's going!

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Tue Sep 21 2010, 16:14

he look all good to me, are you planing to get anymore ?

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 21 2010, 16:18

I'm thinking of getting a bitch, but not for another 18 months or so............I've already got one lined up! A breeder I've got to know over the last few months has just bred a gorgeous bitch pup, and he'll be mating her in about 18 months or so & he'll let me have pick of any bitch pups born!

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Tue Sep 21 2010, 22:48

Nice one Smile how much will she be if everything goes well ?

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 21 2010, 22:50

Ah, there's the rub! I'll have to start saving now, as the going price is about £900!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Tue Sep 21 2010, 22:53

you better Tongues i'm sure it be well worth it Smile

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 22 2010, 11:48

good luck with the breeding, this breed can be very troublesome when it comes to breeding, you may have to get your bitch artificially inseminated. and if it a success just keep an eye on your litter as this breed sometimes eat their young, hope Ive not put you off the idea,

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 22 2010, 11:50

No, I've picked up a lot of good friends through a Bull Terrier Forum & they'll all help me when the time comes! Nice bunch - a bit like the Stafford people! Cool

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 22 2010, 11:55

I Agree im sure everything will be fine.

Back to top Go down

Post by danny Wed Sep 22 2010, 23:11

Them bull terriers are so much fun
Dempsey looks great very sporty thumbs up
danny
danny
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Duke & Duchess & Vito
Dog Gender(s) : Duke male Duchess female Vito male
Support total : 8

http://www.debullterrier.nl

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 25 2010, 05:19

I was brought up with bullies and my father was a breeder, so I know them quite well and I have had my first staffie for 8 months now. She is a 2 year old bitch we adopted from a rescue home.

There are differences in character between the breeds and I had always thought it was harder work living with a bullie but recently I have been very impressed by some superbly good natured examples I have seen. They were all extremely calm and relaxed with zero aggression or tension and they were an absolute pleasure to be around.

These dogs were all remarkably big and rather bull like in type. Truth be told they aren't that fast and my girl runs rings around one of them who she plays with in a big field nearby. Seeing them together is like watching a gentle giant that plods along and a crazy eyed lunatic with a manic grin who can't stay still but for some reason they love each other!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 25 2010, 09:49

Yes, most of them really aren't all that aggressive. Their biggest problem (with the males, anyway) is dominance. They tend to be "I'm boss, and don't you DARE think anything else or I'll make you see sense!" Big Grin

Dempsey's like that. He's a middleweight, but still pretty heavy (26 kilos & still growing!) and loves to play, but won't take any form of dominance from another dog. If a dog goes stiff-legged, or eyeballs him or raises its hackles then Dempsey will retaliate. Sometimes it looks as though (from the view of someone who doesn't know) Dempsey has started the ruckas but there's always been something from the other dog first. One thing he WILL NOT put up with is being humped by another dog - that sends him into an absolute frenzy & believe me, he isn't easy to hold! Nowadays if a stranger comes towards us with a dog off-lead I tell them "Keep you dog away, please, mine may not be friendly". It's a shame, but it saves a lot of hassle.

The strange thing is we go to a few dog shows & he'll be surrounded by 30 or 40 Bull Terriers & there's not so much as a growl from any of them! When we showed our last Stafford, Bandit, there would be snaps & snarls all over the place! Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 25 2010, 10:38

I tend to think that staffies like to have fun and they are incredibly devoted but the bullies have a more wicked sense of humour. A good looking bullie is always a handsome devil and they have real charisma.

You may find it interesting to learn something about the origins of the breed. A man called Kevin Kane who is/was the secretary of the Scottish bull terrier club I believe wrote two books about the breeder James Hinks, who also created the Boston Terrier.

http://www.bullterrier.dk/thebullterrier/neverfight/kevin-kane-gb.htm

I haven't had a chance to read the whole thread but if your boy is showing strong signs of dominance it may well be advisable to have him neutered. My father had one that was a big dominant male and in the end it became a real problem. Some times other dogs become dominant out of fear and occasionally out of shear stupidity, but for the sake of an easier life I think you should strive to work on creating a calmer reaction in these situations. To an extent I have a similar situation with my staffie. She always approaches other dogs in a nice way but if they try to be dominant she won't stand for it.

In terms of weight I tend to think that the ideal size for an adult male should be no bigger than 30 kilos but the ones I have seen recently have been more like 37 kilos. They are hugely strong but all the agility and stamina is lost. I am glad to see that breeders are now moving away from the extreme egg shaped head which was causing health problems.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 25 2010, 11:08

Well, Dempsey's not so much of a problem that I can't handle him, and of course if I'm going to continue to show him I can't have him neutered. He isn't overly aggressive, though, and he is VERY predictable. I just have to be aware of his (and other dogs') body language. That isn't a problem as I've been around dogs for 40+ years and around the Bull Breeds for 20+ years.

As to the weight, there is no recommended max/min weight for a Bull Terrier, just maximum substance for size, (Size:There are neither weight nor height limits, but there should be the impression of maximum substance for size of dog consistent with quality and sex. official kennel club standard.)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 25 2010, 11:25

I've always felt it was a mistake not to establish a maximum size for the breed on heath grounds more than anything else. A dog like your one can no doubt still move with good speed and agility but the very bull type whoppers often have real problems of stamina. I know a gentle giant with a superb nature but he is more like an elephant than a dog!

It sounds like you have a good understanding of how your dog will behave in different situations which is excellent and I'm glad to hear he isn't overly aggressive and with your years of experience you will know how to keep him well adjusted.

Recently I had a problem with a complete idiot at the beach with two big boxers who was letting them run free. He deliberately changed direction towards us and his two dogs went for my girl who I had put on a lead to avoid problems. I wanted to beat the owner to a pulp for being such a damned moron. I could burst into a full blown rant here but he was one those people who clearly enjoyed having dominant (read aggressive) dogs and was deliberately looking to provoke such instances. As I was walking back I met a fisherman who told me the same two boxers had attacked his German Shepherd the week before.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 25 2010, 11:34

There are morons everywhere, aren't there?

When I see a strange dog I always put Dempsey on a lead (I did the same with my Staffords). If the other dog is friendly & submissive then Dempsey is allowed to play on the lead. But he'll only be allowed to play off lead when I'm absolutely sure of how he'll react. With some dogs it's never.

My boss's daughter has a GSD bitch who grew up with Dempsey & they are real friends. However, Dempsey is 'boss' and always has been.

I agree that some bullies are getting too big, but for every huge one there are 10 good-sized ones. They really range from the terrier-type to the bully-type, just as Staffords do. Personally I think breeders should be aiming for a middle-of-the-road size with good substance & head width. The profile's fine (some are exagerrated but nowhere near the majority) but sometimes there isn't the width & fill that there should be.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 25 2010, 12:23

There is a boat builder in the village who has two gorgeous all white bullies that are a good size with solid athletic bodies but without looking exageratedly bull in type. I got to know the owner before I adopted Bailey and we talked about the bullies a few times. He rarely takes his dogs to work but always makes a fuss of mine.

One of his dogs loves to sit in the front seat of his van with its front paws pressed against the wing mirror for support as he pokes his head out the window to feel the breeze while driving. On one such trip he was forced to do an emergency stop and was horrified to see his bullie catapulted forward out of the car window as the wing mirror gave way under pressure.

In absolute terror he leaped out of the car looking for his dog and fearing that it had been killed by the impact. After 30 yards he caught up with his dog who was stood around the corner and profiting from the break by cocking his leg on the side of a tree.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 25 2010, 13:28

i dont condoen anyone traveling with there dog in a car with out a restraning belt on there dog im sorry if it offends anyone but it is just plane stupid doing it not just for the dog but also for your self it is also against the law dont know if its rule 54 or 57 of the highway code and i half desent restraining belt can be picked up for less than a tenner on the internet and i think everyone will agree there dog is worth far more than that banghead

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 25 2010, 13:35

I agree it isn't right to have a dog travelling in this manner and I would never do that myself. I feel nervous though in my small hatchback with our staffie in the back every time some pushy distracted driver in a 4x4 decides to stay 3 inches behind our rear bumper.

A few years ago we had a Renault Clio that was written off when a 4x4 Mercedes hit us from behind while I was waiting at a junction. When the driver got out all he did was fuss around his bumper, scarcely bothering to notice that my daughter had been in the back seat.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 25 2010, 16:50

sometimes i think 4x4 drivers cant see the cars lower to the road than them as they always seem to get very close to your bumper unless it looks closer with them being so big

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Sat Sep 25 2010, 18:16

bigwazza wrote:i dont condoen anyone traveling with there dog in a car with out a restraning belt on there dog im sorry if it offends anyone but it is just plane stupid doing it not just for the dog but also for your self it is also against the law dont know if its rule 54 or 57 of the highway code and i half desent restraining belt can be picked up for less than a tenner on the internet and i think everyone will agree there dog is worth far more than that banghead

I never new that it was illegal. Moo goes in my mums car sometimes and sits on the back seat, but she doesn't have a restraint. One thinks I should invesst in one. Cheers
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 25 2010, 23:49

janey you can pick one up on the internet with a harness for around 10 pounds well worth the money for your little buet i know you will agree

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Sun Sep 26 2010, 00:28

I do agree, will be buying one asap x
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 26 2010, 12:36

opps

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 14 2010, 11:25

Here's Dempsey's pedigree & a pic of mum & dad!

Dempsey Dempseypedigree
Dempsey LatinLover-1
Dempsey Tina

Plus one of Dempsey as a teeny weeny 3 & 6 week old pup!

Dempsey Dempsey5weeks2
Dempsey Demps6weeks

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Thu Oct 14 2010, 15:12

i really do like bull terriers, have you ever seen a blue bull terrier?

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 14 2010, 16:33

No, I'm not sure that there are any. On the bully forum they've debated it & pics have been put on, but I'm not convinced they've been pure bully.

There are liver bullies, but they're not really liked.

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Thu Oct 14 2010, 17:35

i saw some photos someone saying it a blue one but i think it was a staffy x bull

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 14 2010, 19:37

Ive never seen a blue english bull terrier, there's a lot of so called miniature bull terriers over here, suppose it wont be long before someone produces a blue one.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 14 2010, 21:09

There are more and more Miniature Bull Terriers around. Trouble is, because they are allowed to interbreed with the standards (subject to certain conditions) there are varying sizes. Although they are not supposed to exceed 14", because all progeny from inter-breeding have to be registered as Miniatures, you can get some quite tall ones!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next