Advice please - weeing in crate at night

+3
Jackieb
Mark
Kitkat
7 posters

Go down

Advice please - weeing in crate at night Empty Advice please - weeing in crate at night

Post by Kitkat Sat Jan 26 2013, 18:51

Hi all, I've got a 4 month old bitch called Charlie. She's my first dog and I got her at 10 weeks and I really have struck lucky she has a brilliant temperament and seems to pick commands up really easily. She has done really well with her toilet training. I put her out around every 2 hours and tell her to do her business, or inbetween when I saw her sniffing around the floor or getting ready to squat I picked her up and put her outside, obviously giving her lots of praise when she went and now she's great there's rarely accidents.

The problem I have is in her crate. Every single night she urinates in it. I put her out to do her business before bed at around 12, but guaranteed every single morning by around 7am it's wet and she's lying in it.

I got rid of the dog bed as it was ruined and put an old cot duvet in there so that I can chuck it in the washing machine each morning and I mop out the crate every morning so it doesn't smell. I've tried putting a puppy pad in there but she just shreds them to bits. I tried leaving the crate open and her locked in the kitchen so that she can come out and wee on a pad through the night, which worked, only problem is she also wrecked the kitchen. Left for any period unsupervised she chews the corners of the kitchen cupboards, digs at the lino in the corner and has ripped that and even taken wallpaper off the walls!!

Is it simply that at this age she can't hold it for that long? I'm just worried about her skin getting sore and I've had to bath her already as she stunk which I don't want to be doing too often at this age. Any tips?

Thanks in advance Smile

Kitkat
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Advice please - weeing in crate at night Empty Re: Advice please - weeing in crate at night

Post by Mark Sat Jan 26 2013, 19:04

you could get up in the night to let her out. Does she drink alot before bedtime etc. Getting up in the night though is a pain Smile
Mark
Mark
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Miley and Dylan
Dog(s) Ages : 2 and a half and 2
Dog Gender(s) : female/ Male
Support total : 464

Back to top Go down

Advice please - weeing in crate at night Empty Re: Advice please - weeing in crate at night

Post by Guest Sat Jan 26 2013, 19:52

I would try for a few nights getting up in the night to let her pee outside. Its a pain getting up, but it's most likely just a bad habit that needs breaking. Once it's broken you'll be able to sleep all night lol.

What I'd suggest is when you get up, bring her outside and wait until she goes. It might take a while but when she does, praise, praise, praise her. She will learn that she is meant to go outside and outside only.

Logan had a few mishaps too when he was a baby. It takes a while but you will get there.

Keep us updated either way. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackieb Sat Jan 26 2013, 19:56

When my male was that age, half his crate was comfy blankets and the other half was newspaper or puppy training pad, pups will rarely mess on their bed given a choice, try it x
Jackieb
Jackieb
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel & Tank
Dog(s) Ages : Diesel - May 2011. Tank - March 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Girl & Boy
Support total : 245

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 26 2013, 22:02

They don't really devolp complete control of their baldder until around 6 months. Are you completly getting rid of the smell after an accident?

Back to top Go down

Post by Bloomooner Sat Jan 26 2013, 23:15

I separated a compartment in Tommy's crate and he's never peed in the bit he sleeps in. I will send a picture tomorrow to show you what I mean. It works a treat.
Bloomooner
Bloomooner
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Tommy
Dog(s) Ages : 20th October 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 25

Back to top Go down

Post by Griffin5 Sat Jan 26 2013, 23:56

I'm having the same problem with Charlie, keep having to throw his bed in the wash each morning Sad Would you take the water off them overnight?
Griffin5
Griffin5
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Advice please - weeing in crate at night Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Charlie
Dog(s) Ages : 1yr 2mnths
Support total : 44

Back to top Go down

Post by jojobda Sun Jan 27 2013, 02:28

We used the divider inside the crate and I would take her outside at 3 am for a pee. Now at 14 weeks she can last in there from midnight to 7 am, no whining, digging or yelping or peeing. Just gotta stick to the routine.
jojobda
jojobda
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Advice please - weeing in crate at night Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Marley
Dog(s) Ages : Oct. 16 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 40

https://www.facebook.com/jordan.trott.754

Back to top Go down

Post by Bloomooner Sun Jan 27 2013, 10:15

As promised here's a pic of Tommy's crate. I put a training pad in the front part and he always goes on that if he needs to. Hope it helps.

Advice please - weeing in crate at night Image_zps9f692dff
Bloomooner
Bloomooner

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Bloomooner Sun Jan 27 2013, 10:28

Bloomooner wrote:As promised here's a pic of Tommy's crate. I put a training pad in the front part and he always goes on that if he needs to. Hope it helps.

Advice please - weeing in crate at night Image_zps9f692dff

The divider is just a piece of plywood which I cut myself, nothing fancy!
Bloomooner
Bloomooner

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rebeccaleanne Sun Jan 27 2013, 11:48

Griffin5 wrote:I'm having the same problem with Charlie, keep having to throw his bed in the wash each morning Sad Would you take the water off them overnight?

I did with tyke when he was a baby, just untill he had control i always think in away you have to think toddler potty training
rebeccaleanne
rebeccaleanne

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Tyke
Dog(s) Ages : 4
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 293

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 27 2013, 12:21

Sometimes if your crate is big they will wee in it, it is a good idea to put the divider in to give them the right idea Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down