charlir666
Kathy
Mark
albie7
9 posters

Go down

Kennel advice Empty Kennel advice

Post by albie7 Wed Jan 02 2013, 12:09

I need some advice, we have had Deez since September, from a rescue, and have left him the odd night, with our neighbour feeding, walking and spending some time with him.
We are going away for a week in February, and we really need some advice: Would it be best to put our anxious little fella in Kennels, or leave him at ours, with the neighbour feeding/walking first thing, and after work, and spending some time in the evening with him?
He is such a soft pooch, who is completely spoilt with home comforts - he gets into our bed every night!
We booked this holiday before we got him, and the stress it's causing us, just the thought of leaving him, we won't be doing it again!
Any advice would be gratefully received.
Thanks
:-)
albie7
albie7
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Deez
Dog(s) Ages : Nearly 7
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Kennel advice Empty Re: Kennel advice

Post by Mark Wed Jan 02 2013, 12:16

Would advise kennel s as he will be properly cared for and also be insured while there. Best to be safe rather than leave him at home anything could happen Smile
Mark
Mark
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Miley and Dylan
Dog(s) Ages : 2 and a half and 2
Dog Gender(s) : female/ Male
Support total : 464

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 02 2013, 12:18

Hmm thats a tough question.. I have just left my girl for the first time and she is as spoilt as yours Laughing But I am lucky enough to have a mate that has taken her for a few days, I miss her terrribly but I know she is getting very spoilt Smile I hope she wants to come home Laughing I don't have an answer for you exept that you know your dog best and know what is going to stress him the most.. Is he usually left throughout the day? If he is used to being on his own in the day probably being at home is best, if he used to having someone there all the time perhaps a boarding kennel.. Hopefully someone else may have some better advice re kennels. I haven't ever used one, Sorry

Back to top Go down

Post by albie7 Wed Jan 02 2013, 12:21

Thanks, it's such a difficult choice! He is left during the day whilest we are at work, and very spoilt when we get home.
confused
albie7
albie7

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Wed Jan 02 2013, 12:29

It is a tough one, would your neighbour know what to do in an emergency though ??

Personally I think I would go with a reputable kennel with trained staff on hand.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 02 2013, 12:38

albie7 wrote:Thanks, it's such a difficult choice! He is left during the day whilest we are at work, and very spoilt when we get home.
confused

It's a tough one Sad I haven't had a rescue dog before but maybe some of the members who have can advise.. Being a rescue, a relativley new rescue, would going back into kennels be extra stressful on him?? If he is home through the day normally and the neighbour is responsible enough would it be less stressful at home? I'm asking I have no idea honestly Blushing

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Wed Jan 02 2013, 12:41

Just remembered about this place, may be worth considering too:

http://www.barkingmad.uk.com/

Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by charlir666 Wed Jan 02 2013, 13:40

We too have recently got a rescue dog and were told by the rescue to never put her in kennels as it causes them stress.
charlir666
charlir666
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Sasha
Dog(s) Ages : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by lovemystaffies Wed Jan 02 2013, 13:53

Through our vets we found someone who actually moves in while we're away; having two dogs it actually works out no more expensive than kennels. We followed up on references and the guy spent a day with them beforehand without us there to try it out. Give it a try
lovemystaffies
lovemystaffies
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Max and Madge
Dog(s) Ages : 7 and 6
Dog Gender(s) : male female
Support total : 18

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 02 2013, 14:03

I would never leave my dog alone in the house, even if someone was supposed to be looking in to walk/feed etc. What if they forget? What if the dog is a little spooked by something & barks at the person when they come in - they may decide that they won't come in again. What if something goes wrong? Yes, I know it could go wrong when you're out at work, but at least it'll be you coming home to it rather than a stranger.

I'd find a good kennel. Get references, if possible go and see the owners (don't expect them to show you around, though, as it's very upsetting to the resident dogs to have strangers walking around all the time!) and chat to them about your fears.

Back to top Go down

Post by mickgill Wed Jan 02 2013, 14:10

I once left a dog of mine with a neighbour as we went abroad , never again, he took the dog out and the dog cut his pad open on some glass , after making costly phone calls to my vets from Turkey i was met on home arrival with a large vets bill , the vet would not allow my dog to go back to my neighbour as he wasn't the registered owner , so from now on it's Kennels for Duke .
mickgill
mickgill

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Duke
Dog(s) Ages : 10 months
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 222

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 02 2013, 15:50

There are people who look after the dog at their own home. My sister did that with her Labradoodle because he would have fretted in kennels. He was really well looked after. He took his own bed and toys with him, he was there for a week and enjoyed himself Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by mickgill Wed Jan 02 2013, 16:06

Yes but what if something oes wrong as in my case Chiara , were these people who looked after your sisters dogs dogs running an official business or were they just friends .
mickgill
mickgill

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 02 2013, 16:14

They were official dog sitters so insured etc. Must have been awful for you what happened.

Back to top Go down

Post by mickgill Wed Jan 02 2013, 17:13

Chiara wrote:They were official dog sitters so insured etc. Must have been awful for you what happened.

Yes it was Thanks Chiara , and once i found out Kennels were not as expensive as i thought it made me feel worse Laughing, i like using the Kennels are feel my Dog is being looked after and if anything goes wrong it will be sorted Smile
mickgill
mickgill

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Pollyanna Wed Jan 02 2013, 17:15

Lily stayed at the home of an dog trainer/behaviourist for 3 nights early in December for the first tiime. She lived on a farm and had 5 dogs of her own and chickens with a fair amount of secure land. The dogs all slept in the house and if one didn't get on with the others there were other rooms and another person. She was also a foster mum for rescue dogs and took care of poorly ones, so had access to a vet if required. She could have slept where she liked, sofa, bed whatever. She was walked with one of her other dogs. She was recommended by our trainer. She said Lily enjoyed it and have no reason to believe otherwise - even ate her dinner which she is picky about so would use her again.
Pollyanna
Pollyanna
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Kennel advice Top_ra10

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Lily
Dog(s) Ages : 2?
Dog Gender(s) : Girlie
Support total : 39

Back to top Go down

Post by Lizzie Wed Jan 02 2013, 17:35

On the rare occasions I go away I have a lady who will live in my home and take care of Harry and she follows my exact routine and he gets to stay in his own bed and home with his own things.

She says he sulks a little the first day but soon comes round.

I feel its the best option all round but it doesn't stop me from missing him or worrying about him so 3 nights are the most I have ever left him.

Have done this with all my dogs in the past and have never tried kennels.

Lizzie

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Harry
Dog(s) Ages : 6
Support total : 98

Back to top Go down

Post by jshrew Wed Jan 02 2013, 18:15

I am introducing the concept of kennels to Ledger who did fret when he was a rescue. One of the ones around here is under new ownership and markets as a pet hotel and they also do doggy daycare

I have tried him with a day so far and the feedback was that he was fine noisy but no more so than other staffys (and tbh the managers GSD didn't shut up the whole time I was there so that wont have helped) and for only £9 a day I will try it again then will maybe try an over night stay then build up slowly so he knows I will come back then see how it goes as I have leave next new year and would like to go away but we will see how it goes.

But looking at a few options as I cant rely on my parents helping out while I am working (which they do at the moment) but shift work doesn't fit well with most dog walkers/doggy daycare.
jshrew
jshrew
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ledger and Maple
Dog(s) Ages : 7 and 2
Dog Gender(s) : Male and Female
Support total : 209

Back to top Go down

Post by albie7 Wed Jan 02 2013, 20:10

Thanks for all responses, we are looking into all options. (Including getting him on as hand luggage!) ;-)
albie7
albie7

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down