Chicken Wings

Go down

Chicken Wings Empty Chicken Wings

Post by Guest Tue Dec 11 2012, 08:01

I was going to get Loki some chicken wings to try (raw) for breakfast, but...I don't know, I'm conflicted. I know quite a few people on here feed their dogs raw, but I just can't get out of this worry about feeding bones. I mean, chicken wings have those tiny, thin, sharp bones in them, don't they? I just worry that he'll manage to choke on them. He's eaten a lot of cooked bones he's managed to steal, and thankfully he's been fine, but I just feel like letting out my fears to the people that know the most about them. It's my parents' fault Laughing they keep going on about how chicken bones splinter even when raw, and that vets always tell you that any kind of bones are dangerous. Do raw chicken bones splinter? Is it a small risk to give him chicken wings? I'm going to be paranoid either way, but at least I've asked Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Chicken Wings Empty Re: Chicken Wings

Post by StuW Tue Dec 11 2012, 08:42

Raw bones don't splinter, it's cooked bones that splinter and cause the problems! My 12 week old pup gets chicken wings daily and has been from 8weeks of age and she's fine! I don't even need to hold them for her now, sometimes she'll try and swallow too big a bit but she brings it back up and crunches it a few more times lol! Bailey gets his wings frozen aswell. Just make sure to hold the end of the wing so Loki knows he has to chew it and doesn't swallow it whole! Being used to dog food, when you start reading about raw/hearing things it goes against everything you think you know lol! He'll be fine with some wings Big Grin
StuW
StuW
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Bailey, Sierra
Dog(s) Ages : 8th Sep 2011, 12th Sept 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 154

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 11 2012, 09:03

Yep Steffs the same as Sierra sometimes she will gulp too much and bring it back up chew a bit more then eat it sick Honestly as you know I'm no expert but I have never seen them splinter i dont know And as Stu says just hold one end for him so he dosen't swallow it whole.. And you know Master Bonefinder will love them Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 11 2012, 09:13

He will love them Laughing the paranoia and worry is because he's a complete idiot who doesn't seem to have the natural ability to chew. It's like he has to be taught not to swallow something whole Rolling Eyes but I guess if he can eat the bones he's found outside and not choke, he can manage a chicken wing. If this worry is anything like what being a parent is like, you're all mad, this is stressful Laughing

Thanks for your replies, and Loki will no doubt be grateful to you both too Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 11 2012, 09:25

rolling on the floor Just hold one end so if he wants it he needs to chew it.. Ahh Loki you give me many giggles Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by StuW Tue Dec 11 2012, 09:27

Bailey was a gulper aswell but he got the end of the wing held for him and he realised he had to chew it and take his time! Now if he gets them I don't need to hold it! He prefers frozen ones though haha!
StuW
StuW

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 11 2012, 13:23

I decided to let him try one and he didn't choke Big Grin I didn't hold onto it since we're only making small progress with the possessiveness, didn't want to risk him being uncomfortable. Anyway, he crunched it up and ate it happily, so I gave him another. Thanks for lessening my worry, he can have these for breakfast now Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by StuW Tue Dec 11 2012, 13:25

Glad he liked it Big Grin soon you'll be thinking of other raw stuff to give haha whistling
StuW
StuW

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 11 2012, 16:09

trying feeding it frozen or hold it if your worried for the first times Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 11 2012, 17:28

Thanks Ella, but I've gained some trust in him now, he's proven he can eat a chicken wing without me fussing Laughing it's a proud moment when your dog finally learns how to chew things.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 11 2012, 17:57

haha Wink well done loki!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 11 2012, 19:51

Yay!! I bet he loves them and brekky will be his fave meal Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 12 2012, 20:52

ANattyRat wrote:Thanks Ella, but I've gained some trust in him now, he's proven he can eat a chicken wing without me fussing Laughing it's a proud moment when your dog finally learns how to chew things.

thumbs up

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down