Just wondering What amount of food i should be giving a 6month old dog

3 posters

Go down

Just wondering What amount of food i should be giving a 6month old dog Empty Just wondering What amount of food i should be giving a 6month old dog

Post by charlie Mon Dec 03 2012, 00:41

Hi everyone,

Just a quick question about how much to Feed,

I feed Jett on average twice a day with about 350grams of food min up to 450grams, But he seems to want more and more, and im not sure if it will be good to give him more or less, Could anyone tell me if i am currently feeding him too much or too little, He is a staffy cross, but mainly staffy
charlie
charlie
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Jett
Dog(s) Ages : 5month 3weeks
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Just wondering What amount of food i should be giving a 6month old dog Empty Re: Just wondering What amount of food i should be giving a 6month old dog

Post by Stokester Mon Dec 03 2012, 01:06

to be honest with you with gary we feed him a bowl full when ever we are eating. if hes hungry he will keep going to his bowl so we give him some more. hes on pedigree and buiscuits to dry his poop up. sometimes he will leave some food and come back to it later.
at a puppy age they are constantly jumping and running about so they get plenty of excercise so i cant imagine feeding him some extra would be a problem.

Dont take my word on it im new to the staffy world , im sure somebody on here with more experience can shine some more light on it Smile
Stokester
Stokester
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Gary
Dog(s) Ages : 7 months old
Support total : 34

Back to top Go down

Just wondering What amount of food i should be giving a 6month old dog Empty Re: Just wondering What amount of food i should be giving a 6month old dog

Post by iamajc Mon Dec 03 2012, 01:19

Does it not give you a guide on the packaging of the food? Usually an amount depending on the weight of the dog.
I'm using Wainwrights at the moment and the dog range for Storm was 12-25 kilos to feed between 215 and 335 grams Storm is 20kg at the moment so I calculated it as follows
25-12=13kg 335-215= 120grams 120/13= 9.25
I then added 9.25 for every kilo above 12 ie 8x 9.25 = 74 grams and added that to the feed for 12 kilo so 215+74 to give 289grams total.
Storms obviously not a puppy but I'm assuming the principle would be the same.
In my experience some dogs will eat loads others not so much. Check your dogs weight as often as you can. As weight change is gradual you might not notice the change as much as someone who only sees him once a fortnight. There are variables such as size, height and amount of exercise that can be considered as well. My old JR would eat hers and then try and barge a Staffy out of the way to eat hers as well, had to feed them in seperate rooms. I've only had rescue dogs and never a growing pup so others may be able to give you better advice with that in mind.
Storm was 19kg but lost a whole pad and the end of a toe to either broken glass or a shredded tin can in the park angry and couldn't be walked far for 3 months and piled on 2 kilos on the same amount of food. Ive got it down to 20kg but would like him back to 19kg really.

Last edited by iamajc on Mon Dec 03 2012, 01:28; edited 1 time in total
iamajc
iamajc
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Storm
Dog(s) Ages : about 7 was a stray
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 22

Back to top Go down

Post by iamajc Mon Dec 03 2012, 01:25

Oh to add to last post, buy the best food you can afford.
tesco tin meat dog food has less than 10% meat butchers tripe has just over 50%. Cheaper dry foods are simular, bulked out with cereals etc
A vet told a friend who was feeding Bakers it was like feeding the dog junk food. They just have the money to advertise alot.
iamajc
iamajc

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Storm
Dog(s) Ages : about 7 was a stray
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 22

Back to top Go down

Post by charlie Mon Dec 03 2012, 03:04

I am currently using eukanuba, and also feeding him some dried liver etc, its just he sooks and always wants more, And i wasnt sure if spoiling him was gonna be a problem down the track, Also, he loves to dip his whole nose in the water bucket when he drinks, Is that normal?? its like he is trying to make him self choke
charlie
charlie

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 03 2012, 06:56

As said before go on the product guidelines , but have to say Iams isn't one of the best around due to the additives etc , and now there are issues about testing methods which a lot of people don't agree with.

The nose in the water bucket , if that's how he wants to drink then they can be bizarre creatures at times

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 03 2012, 08:22

Sounds like a lot to me, but I guess it depends. Loki is fed Wainwrights and we give him the minimum of the guidelines for a six month old his approximate weight. We increased it and he was just getting fat Laughing but it depends on their metabolism and size and everything I guess. As long as he looks to be a healthy weight, it isn't going to be too bad.

Back to top Go down

Post by charlie Tue Dec 04 2012, 02:41

ANattyRat wrote:Sounds like a lot to me, but I guess it depends. Loki is fed Wainwrights and we give him the minimum of the guidelines for a six month old his approximate weight. We increased it and he was just getting fat Laughing but it depends on their metabolism and size and everything I guess. As long as he looks to be a healthy weight, it isn't going to be too bad.

Thanks exactly the advice i needed, Thanks for your words of wisdom, I will see how e goes, cause like u were saying every dog ca be different, Thanks once again for your Honest answer
charlie
charlie

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down