what other food should be giving to a 8 week old puppy ?

+3
Jenc
bella100
Sazzle
7 posters

Go down

what other food should be giving to a 8 week old puppy ?  Empty what other food should be giving to a 8 week old puppy ?

Post by bella100 Wed Dec 11 2013, 22:24

Ive got Bella whos 8 weeks old ive been feeding her just tinned puppy food first i gave her this one its callled Asda Hero Puppy mixed selection http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/shelves/dog_food_in_asda.html . But with it being so cheap i decided to switch her to Pedigree Puppy Chunks in jelly   http://www.pet-supermarket.co.uk/Products/CN0048/pedigree-chunks-in-jelly-mixed-24-cans-for-price-of-20?utm_source=google&utm_source=cpc&utm_campaign=ps_productTargets&CAWELAID=720017470000017050&gclid=CNKHus6YqbsCFZLKtAodam0AVw. But now im really confused as i know the dearest isnt the best and i dont know which puupy food to stick Bella on as i know i cant keep changing it around any suggestions pls ? , also do puppys have meat and complete or just one of them 4 times a day ? also ive heard other people saying if they have a 8 week old puppy they give theres weetabix with warm water in the morning , or scrambled eggs or should i be giving her proper meat chicken etc ? im so confused and want whats best for her but google tells you everything and anything ;/ please can any members give any info what there feeding there puppy or what they did feed the best brand , also what is the purpose for the weetabix because shes just left her mother or to fatten her up ? ive heard scrambled eggs make there coat shiny. Sorry for all questions im a worrier lol x
bella100
bella100
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bella
Dog(s) Ages : 8 weeks
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

what other food should be giving to a 8 week old puppy ?  Empty Re: what other food should be giving to a 8 week old puppy ?

Post by Sazzle Wed Dec 11 2013, 22:30

To be honest none of the foods they sell in supermarkets are very good. This is our recommended dry food list and jameswelbeloved and wainrights are also good for a reasonable price  Smile 

http://staffy-bull-terrier.com/dry_food

This is also a good site for comparing foods

http://www.whichdogfood.co.uk/

I haven't had a puppy but I don't think wetabix has any nutritional value for dogs, even puppies, scrambled eggs should be ok though. I;m sure others will be able to offer more help and experience  Smile 
Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

what other food should be giving to a 8 week old puppy ?  Empty Re: what other food should be giving to a 8 week old puppy ?

Post by Guest Thu Dec 12 2013, 06:47

Saz is right, I'd switch her to a dried food which is much better for her, I wouldn't bother with weetabix but darcy loves scrambled eggs Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by bella100 Sun Dec 15 2013, 01:31

I weaned her off her tinned cans and within 2 days she was eating all the complete food , also ive noticied shes drinking a lot more water has when she was on tinned meat we noticied she didnt really drink much at all but now is Smile
bella100
bella100

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 15 2013, 15:38

She would drink more because wet food is as stated, wet. What dry food is she now on?

You seem to have your head screwed on so i would avoid anything that is not very high in meat content, cause at the end of the day dogs eat meat not vegentables/cereal. They will however eat eggs etc so some scrambled (no salt or pepper or milk!) is fine until shes used to them then i would move to giving her a raw egg (shell and all) about 3 times a week either as an entertainment treat or mixed with her food (without the shell if mixing with the food)

You could even try raw if you felt up to it as the health benefits far outweigh any dry food.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 15 2013, 18:04

At 8 weeks when my pups come home, they are put straight on a raw diet, so there are a lot of foods an 8 week old pup can eat, depending on the diet you want to give

Back to top Go down

Post by bella100 Tue Dec 17 2013, 09:30

shes now on Pedrigree complete and ive been mixing now and again as a extra a little bit of Hero Asda tinned food in like a table spoon in. I know It sounds silly but when im in a big supermarket i look round and think which one is best as i havent a clue money isnt a object at all , but they have sooo many and the other day i picked Bakers up a lady said its not very good for puppys. just want really a good brand what they sell in asda , places like that were i can get a big sack x
bella100
bella100

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 17 2013, 12:57

You're falling into the trap of advertisment im afraid hun. Pedigree is AWFUL food. You really need to go to a pet store and buy something on this list (if money is no object)

http://staffy-bull-terrier.com/dry_food

superstores jsut won't have the brands you should be feeding, they have the ones that sell and they are always the ones with big adverts on TV cause they NEED to to sell, good food doesn't need adverts cause people buy them knowing that they are good. Bakers, pedigree etc play on the minds of people who don't know about dog nutrition.

Im personally on Wainwrights and i mix in a little bit of wet food (pets at home generic dog food) but only a spoonfull.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 17 2013, 13:09

Hayley's totally right! Pedigree & Bakers are really rotten foods!

Wainwrights is a good one, it's available at any Pets at Home stores (or online), but also you could try Eden, Millie's Wolfheart (very friendly helpful people if you need to speak to them), or a fish based food such as Fish4dogs or Fishmongers Finest (again, from pets at Home).

Whatever you go for, try to find one that has meat as its first named ingredient & is free of grains (wheat, maize, rice etc).

At 8 weeks she should be having 4 meals a day. Then at 12 weeks you can cut down to 3 meals & then at 6 months down to 2. At a year old you can either cut down to 1 meal a day or leave her on 2 meals for life.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenc Tue Dec 17 2013, 20:40

Katy has been on Wainwrights since she was 12wks old & either porridge or Weetabix for breakfast, but she has a strong stomach  Smile 

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

what other food should be giving to a 8 week old puppy ?  B110
Jenc
Jenc
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Katy
Dog(s) Ages : 9/10/12
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 884

Back to top Go down

Post by bella100 Thu Dec 26 2013, 14:22

Thanks Smile think i will try the pets at home round corner from me and try the wainwrights as passed couple of days she hasnt really ate much at all Sad dont know why
bella100
bella100

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Boycies_mum Sat Dec 28 2013, 15:38

I did the same as you and fell for the adverts until I came on here and was advised otherwise, I now use burns, its more expensive but so much better, I was originally using pedigree too, I also give him bones from the butchers which keep his gob occupied lol! x

Boycies_mum
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Relationship Status : Engaged
Dogs Name(s) : Boycie
Dog(s) Ages : 9 weeks
Dog Gender(s) : male

Back to top Go down

Post by Iluvmydogs Sat Dec 28 2013, 15:53

I feed wainwrights too and mine do well have to cut corners on myself but as long as mine get what they need im ok with that

Iluvmydogs
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by janfrost489 Sat Dec 28 2013, 18:36

We feed sasha wainwrites turkey and rice, with a raw egg a couple of times a week. She has a shiny glossy coat and is in excellent condition, saying that the only human food she has is a banana/orange or apple with the core and pips taken out and she is doing really well x
janfrost489
janfrost489
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : sasha
Dog(s) Ages : 06/05/2013
Support total : 12

Back to top Go down

Post by polly and jed Sat Dec 28 2013, 23:18

Jed has royal canine dry and chicken necks ( also eats pine bark, twigs, leaves and cat poop!!!)  Big Grin 
polly and jed
polly and jed

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : jed
Dog(s) Ages : 10/10/2013
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 53

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down