Pushy behaviour to initiate play

3 posters

Go down

Pushy behaviour to initiate play  Empty Pushy behaviour to initiate play

Post by BetsyBoo Thu Nov 08 2012, 20:13

Hello
I'd really appreciate any thoughts/advice on this.

Betsy who is 3 years old is obsessed with playing ball. It's great to have fun, tire her out, act as a distraction and helps with recall. I homed Betsy about 9 months ago and once I was able to take her off lead we started ball. It was clear from the start that she would try to initiate play- usually in the form of jumping up to walking inbetween my legs (adorable but ignored) I would usually just ignore the behaviour which seemed to settle. If she jumped up higher or nipped my pocket I'd say a clear "No" which she would usually respond to. I've also found giving a command can help like sit. I wouldn't start play until she had gone off sniffing away.

In the past few weeks (started I think when the first cold spell came) it has got worse from jumping at my jacket, bag or treat bum bag. It doesn't happen everytime, but today was particularly bad. We were about an hour in to our walk. She'd had some off lead and ball play. She was on the training lead and got my jacket from behind and was pulling. I actually had visions that my jacket was on the way out Crying or Very sad I did everything above but didn't work. I think a big problem was I couldn't have eye contact. The only way I could get round was to slip out my jacket. This time when I said "No" louder she stopped and sat when I asked. I took a few minutes to get myself together and for Betsy to settle and calmly walked away ignoring her for a few minutes and then inviting her to join me - we didn't play ball for the rest of the walk. She went off exploring, playing with just some recall practice and was as good as gold Smile

I can't think of anything that has changed- apart from the colder spell which I know can make them a bit nuts.

Any thoughts or way in which I could handle this would be really apreciated.
Fortunately no one saw this today- phew. I'm guessing it is play but looks more serious to those that don't know her/staffs.
Oh and I had already put a new jacket on my xmas list so here's hoping Smile Perhaps that had jinxed it lol
BetsyBoo
BetsyBoo
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Betsy
Dog(s) Ages : 5
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 14

Back to top Go down

Pushy behaviour to initiate play  Empty Re: Pushy behaviour to initiate play

Post by janey Thu Nov 08 2012, 20:17

I'd leave the ball at home for a while Xx
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by PygmyParrot Thu Nov 08 2012, 20:34

We have been through similar with Dexter, we were warned that he can be very reluctant to cease ball play and he was doing the same thing. I think I am being a bit dumb and have tired eyes but is she jumping up trying to find the ball? I agree with Janey you could try leaving the ball at home, we let Dex carry his to and from the park however as soon as we get home it's exchanged for something else, although he knows leave it as a command so this may be why we can get it off him. It's put away in the garage, and then any seeking behaviour ignored so you definitely doing the right thing there. He now seeks for a few minutes then gives up, it was over an hour and he would get quite manic. Also agree that the ball obsession is great for recall, it definitely has it's downside too though eh! Smile
PygmyParrot
PygmyParrot

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Engaged
Dogs Name(s) : Dexter
Dog(s) Ages : 3 approx
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 100

Back to top Go down

Post by BetsyBoo Thu Nov 08 2012, 20:59

Thank you both. Think you might be right about leavng the ball at home for a while! Will try it.
I must admit I think I've learned to rely on the ball a bit too much. Betsy has reacted to other dogs before, but not for a while. When I do think about the incidences I can understand what happened and there were warning signs which I think I know Betsy well enough ish to avoid.

No Rach you're not being dumb - I do ramble Smile Betsy jumps up when she doesn't have the ball so I assume it's that she wants it. Although she doesn't always go for the pocket where it is. She can also do this behaviour when she's tried to play with another dog that isn't really interested- perhaps again looking for ball as playtime. However when we do play she does give the ball up and will happily fetch n bring it back.
BetsyBoo
BetsyBoo

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by PygmyParrot Thu Nov 08 2012, 21:14

It's all a big learning curve isn't it, every day I learn something else it seems!

That's good that she will give it up, Dex will bring it back a million times but when he twigs that it's going to be over he gets into reluctant mode Laughing
PygmyParrot
PygmyParrot

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by BetsyBoo Thu Nov 08 2012, 21:21

Oh yes there's always learning and never a dull moment!

The funny thing was not long before this happened I was getting all slushy remembering the first time I met her at the rescue. The owner called her and she bolted up to all of us, nearly knocking us over and licking to death Love Struck
The honeymoon period temporarily left when she had my jacket, but soon returned Love Struck

Ha- re the reluctant mode. A clever boy eh. We're forever trying to keep ahead of the game too!
BetsyBoo
BetsyBoo

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by PygmyParrot Thu Nov 08 2012, 21:24

Yep, that staffie stubborn streak gets put through it's paces here, I'm very stubborn too Laughing I must admit though the first time he was relentless about the ball a brief flash of panic shot through me that I hadn't had since getting him. I calmed down quick by thinking about the fact that training can solve most things, and nothing is done or fixed overnight. Plus with the forum there's so much advice and so many listening ears ready to advise us.
PygmyParrot
PygmyParrot

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by BetsyBoo Thu Nov 08 2012, 21:31

Lol re your being stubborn. Betsy is such a stubborn gal and guess what- so is her owner!!!! Well it brings some truth to the saying that dogs are like their owners Big Grin

Thanks for that- must admit I had a bit of a panic too today but getting the advice on here has been a great comfort and I'm ready and ball less tomorrow. Ha! Well will probably sneak one in for an emergency recall only.

This forum is amazing. I'd be lost without it- have learnt so much
and you never feel alone Smile
BetsyBoo
BetsyBoo

Status Status :

Female