Pushy behaviour to initiate play Part II

Go down

Pushy behaviour to initiate play Part II Empty Pushy behaviour to initiate play Part II

Post by BetsyBoo Fri Nov 09 2012, 11:31

Hello
Further to my post yesterday about Betsy initating play with the ball by jumping up at me, pulliing on jacket, bag etc it unfortunately we've taken a step back

I have followed the good advice and removed the ball for now- I understand that might be why things are initally worse. Last night we missed our walk as lots of fireworks were going off which spooks Betsy. Today we headed off for a couple of hours. Betsy met lots of new dogs as we went at a different time. She was on her 50f lead and clearly keen for a good olde play. Unfortunately the other dogs just weren't game even a sweet staff she met and her mate labrador who they usually wear out wasn't up for it.

All was good and ball less and we went for a wander practicising the odd recall. Then we had yank the jacket (I'm surprised it's still in one piece) . Again I had to take it off to face her with the command "off" she finally left. Then it was tear the bag. Whilst she would respond to my commands once she did leave of sit, come, paw etc, it was out of control. After the fourth time I had to put her on the short lead and take a calm walk home.

My reading of the situation was she was desperate for play- none of the dogs were game so thought mummy will do. I can understand the frustration and due to the fireworks we've missed out on eve walks. Some days she has still had her two long walks but yesterday it was only the 2.5 one.
At home we do tug play with her fav toy and she will drop usually first time. And when we did play ball she would drop that too.

Perhaps I just need some patience and to give myself a bit of a break Sad
BetsyBoo
BetsyBoo
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Betsy
Dog(s) Ages : 5
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 14

Back to top Go down

Pushy behaviour to initiate play Part II Empty Re: Pushy behaviour to initiate play Part II

Post by Guest Fri Nov 09 2012, 11:45

How long have you had her? They have a ton of energy and will get it out one way or another. Suki will still have an off day if she isn't exercised well the day before. It really just takes consistancy and lots of patience.

Back to top Go down

Pushy behaviour to initiate play Part II Empty Re: Pushy behaviour to initiate play Part II

Post by Guest Fri Nov 09 2012, 11:49

It's going to take a while, I think.

Keep an eye on her while you're out & if you notice she's getting a bit jumpy/frustrated do some brisk heelwork with her, plus a few sits, stays, downs etc. That might take the edge off the frustration, especially if she gets some treats as rewards.

You could also start some scent work with her. Get a couple of clean cloth hankies (or similar rags) and rub your hands all over them. As you walk, drop one without her seeing. Walk a few paces on, call her back excitedly & say "seek", pointing towards the cloth. If necessary lead her to it the first couple of times. As soon as her nose touches it, give her loads of praise, carry on with the walk and try again with the 2nd cloth.

They soon realise that your scent is on the cloth & will start to actively look for it as soon as you say "seek" - it actually becomes a bit of a game so might help if she wants to play!

Back to top Go down

Post by BetsyBoo Fri Nov 09 2012, 12:04

Thank you!
In reply I've had her for 8 months. I have noticed that we'll tend to have spells of angelic behaviour and then bam it's play time!

The scent work sounds great. W've do hide and seek which she loves but not this so will try that later- thanks.

Whilst all of this was going on I did try some heel work (she's very food motivated) which helped but as soon as I stopped the jumping started again.

However I think this is the right track as after she meets dogs that aren't up for play she can run over to me and jumps up. Today after she'd meet dogs I called her and she came followed by sit and a couple more commands. Then when she was calm (it''s like a switch) we took a slow walk away.
BetsyBoo
BetsyBoo

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by BetsyBoo Fri Nov 09 2012, 18:27

Thanks Caryll- tried the scent game on our walk and Betsy got it- she's a smart gal Smile Was a good way to get her focused and reward when she got it. Will keep that up.
It was a somewhat subdued walk than what we are used to but perhaps that's a good thing for now. There were a couple of small jumps up but nothing like before and no tugging.
Fortunately a young dog who appeared to answer my wishes and tire Betsy out who is now zonked out in her crate sleepy
BetsyBoo
BetsyBoo

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 09 2012, 18:36

Hopefully a mixture of brain work & doggie play will snap her out of the jumping/grabbing routine.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down