Introducing puppy to adolescent

Go down

Introducing puppy to adolescent Empty Introducing puppy to adolescent

Post by Guest Wed Oct 31 2012, 19:44

Hi all

We will be brining Vinny home when he is 8 weeks old and by then Roxy will be 10.5 months. Other than introducing them on mutual ground, any other introduction advice?

We took Roxy with us to meet him and she climbed straight into the litter/mum's bed and gave each puppy a kiss equally. She was so gentle and she is very dog-friendly...we've just never had another dog on the property to know how she'll feel about them being on her territory.

Thanks!

Back to top Go down

Introducing puppy to adolescent Empty Re: Introducing puppy to adolescent

Post by Guest Wed Oct 31 2012, 19:50

what a great way for her to say hello to them all Big Grin . Personally I would be using a crate at least for the early days, obviously close supervision and don't let the little fella run amock, be prepared for some rough play and a few squabbles to set the hierarchy in the house

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Wed Oct 31 2012, 20:14

Amazing Smile Never had 2 together so no help there, would love to see a pic of new fur baby Smile
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 31 2012, 20:35

What a great idea to get Roxy to meet her new playmate, and how lovely that she kissed all the puppies. And also well done to the puppies' Mum that she allowed this.

Good luck with having two puppies in the same house at the same time!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 31 2012, 21:24

It would be helpfull if you could bring someting with the pups scent on it home so your current dog could be used to the scent in the house before the pup arrives.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 01 2012, 05:49

jstaff wrote:It would be helpfull if you could bring someting with the pups scent on it home so your current dog could be used to the scent in the house before the pup arrives.

what a great idea, thanks! We have already bought a little blanket to take to the pup with our scent on it, thinking that he can get used to it plus he can get his mum and sister's scents on it, which could help him when he gets home. So I think we'll take another blanket to hold him in and bring it home for Roxy.

She is such an amazing and loving girl, that I really hope they hit it off (Roxy's the one who will make any dog feel at ease and loved). Luckily, I work from home and will be able to supervise. Roxy loves to sit next to the computer with me when I'm working, so that won't change and I guess it will give Vinny time to explore his new home, once he's allowed out.

Very exciting times in this household - if somewhat nervous!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 01 2012, 07:51

RoxysMum wrote:
jstaff wrote:It would be helpfull if you could bring someting with the pups scent on it home so your current dog could be used to the scent in the house before the pup arrives.

what a great idea, thanks! We have already bought a little blanket to take to the pup with our scent on it, thinking that he can get used to it plus he can get his mum and sister's scents on it, which could help him when he gets home. So I think we'll take another blanket to hold him in and bring it home for Roxy.

She is such an amazing and loving girl, that I really hope they hit it off (Roxy's the one who will make any dog feel at ease and loved). Luckily, I work from home and will be able to supervise. Roxy loves to sit next to the computer with me when I'm working, so that won't change and I guess it will give Vinny time to explore his new home, once he's allowed out.

Very exciting times in this household - if somewhat nervous!!

Forgot about that one , this was a tip I got from J when we got the Tomminator and it seemed to work for us , well they never killed each other anyway Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down