Introducing Puppy to another adult dog

2 posters

Go down

Smile Introducing Puppy to another adult dog

Post by canis Fri Nov 04 2011, 10:20

Hi guys,

I have an eleven years old male westie at home, yesterday I adopted a male staffy (approx. 4months old).

I know that it may be difficult to have two males dogs in a household (especially 2 terriers). However, I hope anyone who have successfully did so, can provide me with some advices?

deeply appreciated.

canis
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Smile Re: Introducing Puppy to another adult dog

Post by Guest Fri Nov 04 2011, 11:26

anychance you can take them both to a park or something have someone with you who can have the pup on a lead to introduce them .. that way you can have them meet and bond in surroundings that neither are all too familiar with etc.
Get them together to meet and aslong as they get along take it from there, play with them both, praise them both and then if they get on you can walk them home together.
When entering your house you go first, then the older dog then the new pup etc.
Staffies DO and WILL play rough lol its just the way theyre are but with a pup its not as rough obviously so just keep an eye on your westie etc most dogs will tone it down to accomadate the size of the other dog tho .. just keep your eye on body language and if they get too excited just calm them down before it escalates etc.
When the new pup wonders of and you are left with your older dog or if your older dog wonders of and left with the new pup, dont be overly fussy than you usually would or the pup will think, i get more attention when the other is not around!

My two are opposite sex, ive never had to males, but i know people on here with 2 of the same sex and all is fine! Smile .. as for two terriers in the same household, if it works its double the trouble but double the fun Tongues haha Goodluck hope all goes well! =)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 04 2011, 11:31

They should definately be intorduced away from the household so your older dog won't feel like his house is being invaded. After that a walk together on opposite sides and then to the house.

I would also advise to keep them seperated if you have to leave them alone at home.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 04 2011, 12:07

I would try to introduce them on neutral territory first and let them quietly introduce themselves. As long as the introduction goes well, you could then let them off lead to have a play, obviously making sure that the youngster doesn't get too boisterous with the elder!

Once in the house, I'd keep the pup on a lead for a while (just let him trail it loose) while they both get used to being in the same house.

Back to top Go down

Post by canis Sun Nov 06 2011, 03:30

Hi Kelly, Jstaff and Caryll,

Deeply appreciate all your kind advice.

I will practise the introduction in a 'neutral' area.

How long should I introduce them before I can bring them back home together?

eventually. in the house, do I have to keep them separated at all time unless under supervision?

Do 'fights' still happen now and then, even they are staying together over a long period of time? i.e. I am thinking should I intervene when they fight, or let them work out their rank issues.

canis

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 06 2011, 10:45

As soon as you're sure they're happy with each other, you can bring them home.

I know a lot of people allow their dogs to sort out their own rank between themselves. I don't really agree, especially with staffs. Although a certain amount of grumbling & pinning down will occur, and that's quite natural, fighting should never be allowed, and you should intervene immediately!

I have never left any of my dogs (when I had more than one) alone together, other than overnight. If I went out, I would put them in different rooms. At one point I had a concertina-type door fitted in the passage so that & could have one on either side. It was see through so they could see each other, but they couldn't get into mischief. I know there are other on here who do leave their dogs together, and have had no problems.

The results of a staffy fight are not pretty, and I have seen, first hand, what that's like!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 06 2011, 12:37

canis wrote:Hi Kelly, Jstaff and Caryll,

Deeply appreciate all your kind advice.

I will practise the introduction in a 'neutral' area.

How long should I introduce them before I can bring them back home together?

eventually. in the house, do I have to keep them separated at all time unless under supervision?

Do 'fights' still happen now and then, even they are staying together over a long period of time? i.e. I am thinking should I intervene when they fight, or let them work out their rank issues.

Ideally they should be introduced and walked multiple times. If this isn't possible I think it's best they are both well exercised before bringing them home. You will get lots of different advice on whether to keep them seperated when they are away. IMHO the breed was breed to fight and will never back down from a challenge. I would advise to keep the seperated if you are not around because it's always better to be safe. They will engage in some rough play and set their own rules. You shouldn't be too alarmed when this happens because it is natural. It would be helpfull if you understood dogs body language and by all means seperate them if you are uncomfortable or think things are getting out of hand.

Back to top Go down

Post by canis Mon Nov 07 2011, 03:52

Thanks alot for all your frank opinions.

I think I will keep them separate if they are not under supervision.

I believe during the early stage it should be still quite within control as the Staffy is only a puppy, when he reaches maturity I probably will see more 'ego' issues among the two of them.

wish me luck Smile

canis

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 07 2011, 03:59

Do you have any pics?

Back to top Go down

Post by iluvmypups Mon Nov 07 2011, 16:39

hi came across this post and thought id share my experience..we had daija from 8 weeks old but when she reached 6 months we decided that we had enough love and time for a playmate..along came roxi on the first day they did playfight constantly although it NEVER got outta hand,that theme continued for the next 2 weeks.. so we decided to keep them seperate when unsupervised,we did that for the first month and then allowed a 10 minute period every 2 hours for them to share daijas bed..(their choice!)and now...well roxi has firmly taken the BOSS role in the house wheras daija is happy to be 2nd in command they share a bed every night and it melts my heart to see them snuggled up together snoring there heads off!! i took advice from some of the mods on here and they deffinately know their stuff as my perciverance paid off!! good luck from me and my 2 crazy girls!!
iluvmypups
iluvmypups
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : daija and roxi
Dog Gender(s) : female,female
Support total : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content